I would have to say that the apps one chooses are completely dependent on the user. For instance, I only kept DocsToGo on my BlackBerry devices for a short time. I never used it, so I deleted it. The apps I use most are TuneInRadio, Pandora, Twitter, Foursquare, iHeartRadio, Scoremobile, and Nobex Radio. I wouldn't say that makes the BlackBerry a toy, but I don't use any "business apps".
    I completely classify my BlackBerry 9670 as a toy, it is used as an emergency phone, MP3 player, and a couple of games, it is a toy by all intents and purposes.

I also have a "Toy" dewalt cordless drill, as I use it to open wine bottles, mix batter, a door stop, and to keep papers from flying off my work bench,

a Toy is a toy if you use it for play.
    04-07-12 07:42 PM
    I've found them to be best on Windows Phone, if I'm being honest. Microsoft Office for example is a killer!
    MS Office is the thing that makes me look at Windows phone a lot, a friend of mine moved to one a little over a week ago, and he is planning to be back on BlackBerry very soon, just misses too much about his BlackBerry, and his job doesn't use Excel.

if I could have a Portrait keyboard device like the 9900 or 9790 with Windows on it, I would own that device .
    04-07-12 07:44 PM
    Lets be real...

A phone is only as "smart" as it's user.
    Blacklatino and cckgz4 like this.
    04-07-12 07:45 PM
    MS Office is the thing that makes me look at Windows phone a lot, a friend of mine moved to one a little over a week ago, and he is planning to be back on BlackBerry very soon, just misses too much about his BlackBerry, and his job doesn't use Excel.

if I could have a Portrait keyboard device like the 9900 or 9790 with Windows on it, I would own that device .
    Unfortunately, in that respect, the closest you're gonna get is the Dell Venue Pro. Strict Microsoft hardware requirements make it impossible for there to be a WP7 Bold Touch style device. I went to a TITAN, all touch. Pretty damn good I might add! But still, I am hoping to become self-employed as a photographer and will want a BlackBerry on O2 for the better signal (Three is good, but unreliable), and Windows Phone for a work phone does not sit right with me. The only work phone in my eyes is BlackBerry. The 9810 looks fantastic though! Wouldn't mind a BB10/BB11 Torch! The social secretary of cheerleading has a 9810 though, and it looks fab. Makes me miss my 9800 if I'm being honest!

Disclaimer: I am rather drunk right now and can't seem to string a sentence together very well...
    04-07-12 07:49 PM

I guess I'll find out more about MS Office when I get my Windows Phone. I found DocsToGo to be pretty worthless for my needs, especially with regard to Excel and PowerPoint, so I just used my PC for Office.

RIM needs to get MS Office on BlackBerry devices. DocsToGo is not robust enough for a lot of users' needs.
    04-07-12 07:50 PM
    That said, I bet you "toy" apps out download productivity apps 10,000 to one, and that there is a greater proportion of iPhone users who do only use it for the same purpose they used an iPod Touch and a flip phone

now Calling the iPhone an iToy on an Apple site, or even a device neutral site such as engadget is in poor taste, on a BlackBerry dedicated site, I'll gladly refer to it as an iToy knowing full well that it has some fantastic business and productivity features.
    Games/entertainment apps are always downloaded more than any other type of apps. No matter if it's in app world/marketplace/ iTunes...I expect the iPhone/ any other device to be bashed on a this site. I tend to chuckle at most of the jokes towards the iPhone. The toy joke is rather stale now, it's time for some new material...Lol

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    04-07-12 08:03 PM
    I guess I'll find out more about MS Office when I get my Windows Phone. I found DocsToGo to be pretty worthless for my needs, especially with regard to Excel and PowerPoint, so I just used my PC for Office.

RIM needs to get MS Office on BlackBerry devices. DocsToGo is not robust enough for a lot of users' needs.
    Off-topic here, but which Windows Phone are you getting? When you do use Office on your WP7, be sure to store all your documents in the SkyDrive, that's how I do it, keeps everything together nicely. Wouldn't actually mind some SkyDrive integration for BlackBerry!
    04-07-12 08:03 PM
    Off-topic here, but which Windows Phone are you getting? When you do use Office on your WP7, be sure to store all your documents in the SkyDrive, that's how I do it, keeps everything together nicely. Wouldn't actually mind some SkyDrive integration for BlackBerry!
    Which windows device are you using? I have the Samsung focus....Windows new os is very solid IMO.

04-07-12 08:07 PM
    Which windows device are you using? I have the Samsung focus....Windows new os is very solid IMO.

I'm picking up the Nokia Lumia 900 on Monday. It's actually available tomorrow, but a cell phone store is the last place you'll find me on Easter!

I do plan to use SkyDrive. I actually have a friend who is a Mac user who wants to know more about SkyDrive.
    04-07-12 08:09 PM

DocsToGo is easily robust enough for most user needs,

Just Office power users need/want more, I want all the short cuts, and the little things that should be easy, like auto resizing cells, and the keyboard shortcuts for populating cells,

but I do agree fully, if RIM could get MS Office to create a BlackBerry office app, I'd spend $50 bucks on it tomorrow
    04-07-12 08:10 PM
    Games/entertainment apps are always downloaded more than any other type of apps. No matter if it's in app world/marketplace/ iTunes...I expect the iPhone/ any other device to be bashed on a this site. I tend to chuckle at most of the jokes towards the iPhone. The toy joke is rather stale now, it's time for some new material...Lol

But the iPhone is a toy, its used as a toy by 90% of it's users (and yeah, I'm just making up that percentage, but it's still probably fairly accurate ). Like DeRusett said, anything can be a toy when it is used as such.
    04-07-12 08:17 PM

agreed game apps are by far the most downloaded,

as to MORE people phones are toys not tools, especially in the consumer movement that has happened in the smartphone industry since 2008.

the iToy is a perfect derogatory term to the iPhone, it isn't inflammatory to the user base, nor any sort of traditional derogatory term modified, which I've seen may, which is why I like it the best, like crApple, haven't found an Android term I like yet.
    04-07-12 08:17 PM
    DocsToGo is easily robust enough for most user needs,

Just Office power users need/want more, I want all the short cuts, and the little things that should be easy, like auto resizing cells, and the keyboard shortcuts for populating cells,

but I do agree fully, if RIM could get MS Office to create a BlackBerry office app, I'd spend $50 bucks on it tomorrow
    The sad thing is that I bought DocsToGo Premium when I got my 9000 back in June 2009, only to uninstall it since it did not meet my needs. If MS Office had been available it would have been great. I would buy MS Office for BlackBerry. At least there is no charge for DocsToGo Premium on the OS7 devices.
    04-07-12 08:45 PM
    agreed game apps are by far the most downloaded,

as to MORE people phones are toys not tools, especially in the consumer movement that has happened in the smartphone industry since 2008.

the iToy is a perfect derogatory term to the iPhone, it isn't inflammatory to the user base, nor any sort of traditional derogatory term modified, which I've seen may, which is why I like it the best, like crApple, haven't found an Android term I like yet.
    I would probably venture to guess to more games are also downloaded on PCs than anything else in the consumer market (well, maybe pr0n is more popular ). The average consumer probably doesn't do too much with MS Office if he is not working from home or on the road.
    04-07-12 08:49 PM
    The general public (American public) is in many states of denial all seemingly united on denying the complex superiority that is BlackBerry.

Sit and wait, place your bets and let's enjoy the months leading us to BB 10 friends and enemies alike
    04-07-12 08:53 PM
    I would probably venture to guess to more games are also downloaded on PCs than anything else in the consumer market (well, maybe pr0n is more popular ). The average consumer probably doesn't do too much with MS Office if he is not working from home or on the road.
    From the number of computers I fixed in University and the few years following I would disagree

EVERYONE had a word processing software,
    Less than half had any sort of non preinstalled game,
    My father, who in his old age has become a taxi driver to pass the time still extensively uses Office, he does his taxes using Excel, and he writes letters in word, I also believe he makes is mailing labels in word, NO work reason for Office, but he needed it on his computer.
    04-07-12 08:59 PM
    From the number of computers I fixed in University and the few years following I would disagree

EVERYONE had a word processing software,
    Less than half had any sort of non preinstalled game,
    My father, who in his old age has become a taxi driver to pass the time still extensively uses Office, he does his taxes using Excel, and he writes letters in word, I also believe he makes is mailing labels in word, NO work reason for Office, but he needed it on his computer.
    Re: games, it is possible that more games are browser-based, not actually installed.

That is interesting. I really have not noticed people using Office for personal use, other than composing resumes using Word.

Everyone I know uses TurboTax to do taxes.

I am not aware of too many people who compose letters in Word, other than cover letters for seeking employment or those annoying "Smith Family Update" that arrives every Christmas.

Students would also have a definite reason to use Office, but I would consider "school/university" as a "job", not a consumer endeavour.
    Last edited by lak611; 04-07-12 at 09:07 PM.
    04-07-12 09:04 PM
    Re: games, it is possible that more games are browser-based, not actually installed.

That is interesting. I really have not noticed people using Office for personal use, other than composing resumes using Word.

Everyone I know uses TurboTax to do taxes.

I am not aware of too many people who compose letters in Word, other than cover letters for seeking employment or those annoying "Smith Family Update" that arrives every Christmas.

Students would also have a definite reason to use Office, but I would consider "school/university" as a "job", not a consumer endeavour.
    Go to that older demographic.

My father types letters to print off and mail to his siblings in England, or people he's made acquaintances with over the years.

Heck I write a lot of letters and plans in Word, and use word to document food creations I make,

As for TurboTax, if I did my own taxes I might look at it, but I too use excel, I have an Excel file for meals I've eaten out, a file for my phone bills monthly and a % usage break down, for my utilities and so , all these files accompany receipts to go to my tax guy, It is a great list tool
    04-07-12 09:11 PM
    Go to that older demographic.

My father types letters to print off and mail to his siblings in England, or people he's made acquaintances with over the years.

Heck I write a lot of letters and plans in Word, and use word to document food creations I make,

As for TurboTax, if I did my own taxes I might look at it, but I too use excel, I have an Excel file for meals I've eaten out, a file for my phone bills monthly and a % usage break down, for my utilities and so , all these files accompany receipts to go to my tax guy, It is a great list tool
    I belong to a local historical society here. Many of the members are 65+. Most of them actually use Facebook to connect with their children and grandchildren who live in other states or countries. It is funny that they use Facebook but I do not.

Interestingly enough, whenever I do send personal, not business, communications via snail-mail, I do not use any word-processing software. I happen to like fountain pens and own a lot of vintage and modern ones. When I send cards and letters, I hand write my messages with a fountain pen.

I've only used Word for business use.

I had a Realtor send me an e-mail with a .pub attachment. She sent it to a bunch of people. I e-mailed her back and said she should change the file format. I have Office 2010 Professional, but most people probably just have Home & student, and they would not be able to open her attachment.
    Last edited by lak611; 04-07-12 at 09:38 PM.
    04-07-12 09:26 PM
    Some of the comments are truly fascinating.... I was actually wondering that at the rate things are going, whether RIM would even exist by the time BB10 supposedly launches.

Also, I dont think the toy vs workhorse phone is even relevant anymore. Senior people in my workplace use an Iphone or a Lumia 800 and the latter syncs emails beautifully. From what I saw its seamless and also very elegant. BB does the job for email, as we all know, but its very 'old school' which I suppose is its charm.

Also, I cannot believe that some of the prices in India are so ridiculously high. The horrific Torch 9810 is more expensive here than a Droid Razr. And the 9900 is more expensive, and in some stores equally priced as the Samsung Galaxy Note.

Either RIM is doin' drugs, or they're completely out of touch with reality.
    04-07-12 10:56 PM
    I feel as if this thread should've ended here
    04-08-12 11:29 AM
    I can certainly agree with you on many points. I myself have a Bold 9780; though I actually really love it. But I have tried some Android devices (LG Phoenix) and have seen my friends' Androids, and I admit that if I ever do decide to leave BlackBerry (which won't happen anytime soon; not just because I am under contract, but because my phone meets my needs), I would go for an Android - either a Phoenix or Samsung Galaxy of some sort. But I'm perfectly happy with my phone now - it's reliable for me and I love using it.

All that being said, you have every right to feel the way you do. RIM is in need of some serious catch-up; and as I've said before, Android is something to marvel at. You need to do what's right for you; and if BlackBerry doesn't meet your needs, then find something that works for you. I browse Android Central a lot and they have good community there.

Thanks for posting! I also think that if anyone is to defend anything - be it religion, political views, smartphone choices, etc. - they need to be aware of "the competition" and cannot turn a blind eye to any opposing remarks or criticisms that their "opposing side" might have. It's good that you're objective and rational.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-08-12 11:47 AM

As stated in my profile, I have the HTC TITAN (Eternity). The big 4.7" one. Great phone! Integration in the OS is brilliant. They came out of the depths with a brilliant OS. Let's see if RIM can do the same with QNX.
    04-08-12 02:14 PM
    I would have to say that the apps one chooses are completely dependent on the user. For instance, I only kept DocsToGo on my BlackBerry devices for a short time. I never used it, so I deleted it. The apps I use most are TuneInRadio, Pandora, Twitter, Foursquare, iHeartRadio, Scoremobile, and Nobex Radio. I wouldn't say that makes the BlackBerry a toy, but I don't use any "business apps".
    Somebody please post this on the homepage.
    04-09-12 02:44 PM
199 ... 678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD