Settle for whatever you want. Run with the crowd; you seem to be that sort of person. My 9900 and PB are a great combination for what I need to do: business. BBM is a great and inexpensive way for me to communicate with my secretary between continents. It is also instantaneous. The keyboard is first rate, and if you can type on a piece of glass, you are very talented. Or more likely you don't really do any serious work anyway.

Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. All of which we hear time and time again.
    I love stupid posts like this one. Someone wants an Android or iPhone and they "don't really do any serious work". I guess that means that Steve Jobs, Tim Cook, and other Apple executives don't do "serious work".
    04-06-12 08:58 AM
    Equally, for people who prioritise typing, whether its emails or messages or whatever, I can't really imagine too many people who would PREFER to use a touchscreen keyboard over a physical keyboard.

Most of the ones from my touchscreen toting friends are one or two words until they can get to a comp to hammer out a longer message.
    Yes, Im sure this is all based on preference, but are you seriously telling me someone who has to do loads and loads of typing would prefer a touchscreen keyboard over a physical one, purely for typing? Im struggling to imagine that.
    Again, you fall back into the same position. Perceiving and then deciding from a 'my world' point of view.

What you're saying is similar to me saying:

"Because neither me, nor anyone I know, can run the 40 in 4.5 seconds, I "can't really imagine" too many people who can or would even try. And I "struggle to imagine how it can be done."

The only FACTS are it gets done. Stop struggling.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 04-06-12 at 10:55 AM.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    04-06-12 10:30 AM
    Again, you fall back into the same position. Perceiving and then deciding from a 'my world' point of view.

What you saying is similar to me saying:

"Because neither me, nor anyone I know, can run the 40 in 4.5 seconds, I "can't really imagine" too many people who can or would even try. And I "struggle to imagine how it can be done."

Yep.

I write papers and a good portion of a book on a touchscreen. It is possible.

In all fairness, I used to be a bonafide member of the "it can't be done on a touchscreen" crowd till I actually tried. I am WAY faster on Swype and GB keyboard than I am on a physical keyboard (and I was cockily fast, too).

Not trying to convince anyone one way or another; if not for Swype to break me in, I probably would never have switched. I am happy that I gave it a try though.

But yes, it can be done, and yes, plenty of "business-oriented" people are able to work fine on touchscreens. I wouldn't give one up for a keyboard.
    04-06-12 10:53 AM
    Let' face it. RIM is in denial and the existing customer base is in denial. High fives to RIM for doing such a good job. If it wasn't for all the haters, hating the best smartphone in the world, RIM would be number one.

When RIM gets feedback that they are doing a good job, it breeds mediocrity and the smart customers just vote with their feet and switch platforms.

I always laugh at the Blackberry fanbois on this forum who scream how Blackberries are the best smartphone on the market, but their profile indicates they are rocking a Curve 8300 or a Pearl 9100. Excuse me, 2006 is calling and they want their blackberry back. What a joke.

Try buying a current Blackberry and support the company so they can have profits and develop something great.

I guess the fact that you are not upgrading speaks volumes about blackberry. You are telling the company that you don't see any value in their new products because they don't do anything better than your 2006, Pearl 9100. And you are probably right.

RIM is losing money and market share which proves it is a bad business model trying to sell smartphones to dinosaurs who are either too scared to try a virtual keyboard or can't figure it out. Sadly, the writing is on the wall and it is all over but the crying.

When the company is in denial because the vocal minority sporting 9100s and 8300s, is giving high fives for a job well done, this is what happens:
    Wow.. So.. If I want to say BB is the best, and to really say I like the company I need to have the best and most expensive phone there is?

So because I have the 16 gb PlayBook, I am not a supporter of RIM? Maybe we dont have enough money to go everywhere and buy things. Maybe I just happen to like the torches bigger screen. Maybe I like the curve keyboard. Maybe I need to save money for food.

Hey guys I'm obviously not a BlackBerry supporter anymore. I lied to you all. I only have the 16Gb PlayBook. And to be worse, I bought it when it was only 300. I hope I didn't lose respect from you guys. It had nothing to do with the fact that I am a high school student without a job. I just didn't want to support RIM.
    Again sorry guys. I'm obviously not good enough.

AND WHAT?! 9810?! That's 100 less than the 9900! What are you doing here?!! GET OUT. YOU AINT NO FANBOY! You too cheap!
    Last edited by Deathcommand; 04-06-12 at 01:09 PM.
    04-06-12 01:06 PM
    @E92van maybe the ones with the old phones are saying it's such a good phone and still works perfect. Maybe bb is making them too good. Besides not everyone has the money or even if they do to constantly upgrade or to want to.
    E92Vancouver likes this.
    04-06-12 01:13 PM
    Its almost comical that you put in time and effort writing this post. Just because you personally don't like your (out-dated) BlackBerry anymore because you're comparing it to newer devices doesn't mean you have to be so bitter and condescending. It reads like the main purpose of the post was to get a rise out of BlackBerry fans/users. Save this stuff for your diary :'(
    04-06-12 01:18 PM
    Well, for them and myself and other users like us, it is an advantage ... and it's a huge advantage. But I think we all understand and appreciate that that's not the case for all users. I mean, we're not so dumb as to ignore the overwhelming popularity of full touch screen phones. Not all of us, anyway.
    But why is it an advantage? Because your under the illusion that it makes it easier for you to type? The fact is it's easier to type because you don't have years of experience typing on a touch screen like you do with the keyboard. As soon as you give up QWERTY and actually spend some time getting familiar with something different it becomes just as easy, trust me.
    04-06-12 01:21 PM
    I love stupid posts like this one. Someone wants an Android or iPhone and they "don't really do any serious work". I guess that means that Steve Jobs, Tim Cook, and other Apple executives don't do "serious work".
    I don't think Steve Jobs is doing much serious work these days.
    04-06-12 01:26 PM
    Was that a dead joke? Aww, too soon.
    04-06-12 02:44 PM

Good point, but to be fair, neither are Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie.
    tmelon, Yaceka and oldtimeBBaddict like this.
    04-06-12 02:52 PM
    But why is it an advantage? Because your under the illusion that it makes it easier for you to type? The fact is it's easier to type because you don't have years of experience typing on a touch screen like you do with the keyboard. As soon as you give up QWERTY and actually spend some time getting familiar with something different it becomes just as easy, trust me.
    I completely disagree for me personally. I've used multiple for months at a time. I used to be a device tester for AT&T and I can't stand virtural keyboards. I simply don't like typing on them. Too many errors. Of course, I'd have to get used to it if that was all there was, but I would still constantly make errors that I don't make on my 9930 keyboard. There is no illusion for me, it's fact. I type better on a QWERTY keyboard than on a virtual one. Too each his own...
    04-06-12 03:29 PM
    I have had QWERTY Berrys for several years. Now I have had and still have a Torch 9850 for months. You are correct that most users can be as fast or faster (as efficient) on a touchscreen, however it leaves out one other important point. I simply *enjoy* typing on the Bold a lot more. It is more fun. I like the little puffy clicks one feels when typing on the Bold. Even if I were slower on the QWERTY to some degree, I just like the "feel" of it.
    04-06-12 03:34 PM
    Good point, but to be fair, neither are Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie.

I literally laughed out loud at that. Literally.
    04-06-12 03:39 PM
    @E92van maybe the ones with the old phones are saying it's such a good phone and still works perfect. Maybe bb is making them too good. Besides not everyone has the money or even if they do to constantly upgrade or to want to.
    I think there is actually a lot to this. I think BlackBerrys were made to last. Therefore, RIM's product cycles are too long for the consumer market. There was a study linked on here a while back showing that BB phones had the lowest long term failure rate of any smartphone.
    04-06-12 03:43 PM
    I went through the same thing your going through. Had the iphone, and it was cool for a couple of months, but after a while i still felt like i was missing something, ya it was fast, but it couldnt do everything i could do on my blackberry, The iphone is too restrictive, needless to say i went back to the bold 9930 and really couldn't be happier. The grass always isn't greener on the other side. just my thoughts
    04-06-12 03:44 PM
    I think there is actually a lot to this. I think BlackBerrys were made to last. Therefore, RIM's product cycles are too long for the consumer market. There was a study linked on here a while back showing that BB phones had the lowest long term failure rate of any smartphone.
    This is true. Since I can't remember where I just read it this AM, Square Trade found an 82% increase in repair claims in the iPhone 4 over the 3GS; most because of screen damage. That figure is over 4 times the warranty claims made by BB phone owners. I've said it before, BB phones are built like tanks, and my pristine 8330 Curve is living proof of that fact.
    04-06-12 03:56 PM
    despite my fierce loyalty towards Blackberry and the fact that almost everyone I know found it hilarious that I clung on to my 'dinosaur' of a device, I am now finally waking up to the fact that there is very little to defend about my BB anymore, and I am more and more convinced that its just a piece of junk. This, especially after using a Samsung Galaxy S2 of a colleagues and being blown away by the entire Android experience.
    The Blackberry devices that you, me and others purchased are still the same devices and should work the same. Purchasing the devices was our choice. You and others' perception of the devices have changed based on comments by others of being inadequate. So, it's based more on public opinion(s), self-doubt and fear of rejection by friends. That not a device problem. Anyway, why keep a piece of junk and not get an Android already after being blown away....by the experience? I'm convinced that the "only" denial is your perception of what you need as opposed to having friends talk sh8t to you. So, if you want a device to impress you friends, get it. Just save the bullsh*t for your friends.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 04-06-12 at 04:12 PM.
    04-06-12 04:01 PM
    This is true. Since I can't remember where I just read it this AM, Square Trade found an 82% increase in repair claims in the iPhone 4 over the 3GS; most because of screen damage. That figure is over 4 times the warranty claims made by BB phone owners. I've said it before, BB phones are built like tanks, and my pristine 8330 Curve is living proof of that fact.
    Not even a fair comparison. 83xx series, IMHO, is the MOST durable device made. I loved the 8320 and 8330.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    04-06-12 04:04 PM
    Not even a fair comparison. 83xx series, IMHO, is the MOST durable device made. I loved the 8320 and 8330.
    I had the 8300 and the 8310. Awesome devices that still work today.
    04-06-12 04:11 PM
    This is my first post and I had a few points. I am a typical 'power user' of Blackberry and I use it as both my corporate as well as my personal phone. I started off like many do, with an 8520, and for over a year now I've been with a BB Bold 9780. I pretty much depend on it for all my work emails as well as my surfing, browsing, downloading pictures etc.

That said, despite my fierce loyalty towards Blackberry and the fact that almost everyone I know found it hilarious that I clung on to my 'dinosaur' of a device, I am now finally waking up to the fact that there is very little to defend about my BB anymore, and I am more and more convinced that its just a piece of junk. This, especially after using a Samsung Galaxy S2 of a colleagues and being blown away by the entire Android experience.

I can only say that after experiencing Android, and even another colleagues Lumia 800, that the BB OS is painfully behind the times, and I find myself unable to defend it anymore. Here are a few points that have become clear to me over the last year -

1. NO ONE is on BBM anymore : At one point my contact list on BBM had 130 names. Now I have 12. No kidding. Within a year, its gotten down to this number. I use Whatsapp for everything, really, and on the 9780, as some of you might know, even that app is clumsy to use.

2. Rebooting the phone after app installs/deletes : This has got to be the most embarrassing thing. Also, it takes like a year for it to actually load and start up again. Hilarious, if not pathetic.

3. NO Apps that I want : I do not need to elaborate on this. Anyone with half a brain knows what I am talking about.

4. Clunky and Slow : Web pages hang, the clock symbol appears and never seems to leave, navigating from icon to icon is a painful experience and for someone with large hands like me, its very difficult to use this OS in any useful way. Lord knows I tried hard enough.

Overall, I am not happy with the way things are. Also, coming here and reading praise about how happy some users are with Blackberry makes me wonder if they have even tried Android or even Windows Phone, which is miles and away more sophisticated than this antiquated system we seem bent on defending even though we all know there is nothing worth defending anymore. Yet, why do we defend BB even though they have failed us time and time again? Can you name ONE instance over the last year where RIM has actually come through for you and given you a WOW experience? I cant think of a single instance. If anything, the most disgusting part was the 4 day outage last year which reduced my BB to a piece of junk.

Just my two cents. I feel Ive been living in a world of denial, standing behind a company that actually did not deserve my devotion or money, and now I feel I have woken up and need to make a decision. Come May 1st, I'll be migrating to Android, but it irks me that it took me so long to do it. But its the best decision I would have ever made. I wouldn't call this abandoning a sinking ship, its rather, making a sensible decision that any sane person with any sense of self respect would make at this stage.

Thanks for reading.

9780 Is antiquated, even within the blackberry product line. So the experience is less refined. OS7 is a great OS. I'm currently on 7.1 on the latest 9900 and alone my phone has double the CPU power to deliver OS7. You did carry a dinosaur, in tech time at least.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-06-12 04:16 PM
    Everything has been addressed, but just felt to add that my BBM list has been growing recently with now 75 contacts (I'm sure some are inactive) but I chat to loads of people each day through it. I also use many BBM groups with many different contacts. BBM is a huge draw for me. At my university, from a study, over 50% of smartphones were blackberry.

For communication they really are great. I hope it's as strong in BB10. So far I've found the PB e-mail app strong but FB messages really slow it down.
    04-06-12 04:32 PM
    Right. In a world where there is no byod device longevity is a benefit. I manage a corporate network. The tech that just does its thing fairly troublefree and lasts is what I prefer.

However RIM faces a market where the users are driving adoption, not the IT guys. That's a big issue for them. As we all know.
    04-06-12 04:35 PM

What you're saying is similar to me saying:

Alright mate, Ill stop trying to be politically correct or pleasant seeing as how you won't extend the same courtesy to others.
    If you'll notice I said 'I can't imagine' That is as much of a concession as I am willing to offer. If thats not good enough thats fine.
    I was trying to word it so even someone very slow could realise I am saying most people would find it easier to type long messages on a physical rather than a virtual keyboard.
    Of course it CAN be done on a virtual keyboard. Stop splitting hairs. Almost anything CAN be done.
    Whether its pleasant or easy is another thing.
    The only FACT here is you're being deliberately obstinate.
    04-06-12 05:06 PM
    Why can't we all just get a bong along?
    04-06-12 05:35 PM
    Why can't we all just get a bong along?
    That also depends on what state you are in...
    04-06-12 05:39 PM
199 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD