I dont think it is DENIAL as much as AWARENESS...

we are AWARE that there are GREAT features in company and devices.

I know two people who bought iphones last week and one of them said 'it is so hard to do anything on this phone' ... well, they should have been AWARE of what they were doing instead of just jumping to a device that wasnt for them (i have an iphone and think it is great, but i DONT think it is THAT MUCH BETTER than the new Bold)

I am AWARE that the PB isnt selling and that people are making all kinds of excuses and reasons for that... but i am also AWARE that it is one of the best devices i have ever used, including iPad2. So who should i believe... the reporters or my own experience?
    daveycrocket likes this.
    04-05-12 03:57 PM
    I'd think the ones among us who are truly objective BlackBerry enthusiasts would not dispute or deny the points that the OP has put down.

Addressing those weaknesses is why there's a new OS on the way and guys like Alec Saunders were brought in to really try to bring the developers on board.

The naysayers continually beat the dead horse. What really do they expect? That RIM can flip and switch, change, and reverse it's fortunes overnight?

Change takes time, and so far I'm liking what I'm seeing. One can only hope it's not too late.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    cckgz4 likes this.
    04-05-12 04:03 PM
    I'd think the ones among us who are truly objective BlackBerry enthusiasts would not dispute or deny the points that the OP has put down.

Addressing those weaknesses is why there's a new OS on the way and guys like Alec Saunders were brought in to really try to bring the developers on board.

The naysayers continually beat the dead horse. What really do they expect? That RIM can flip and switch, change, and reverse it's fortunes overnight?

Change takes time, and so far I'm liking what I'm seeing. One can only hope it's not too late.
    ---------- and that is why i havent left!

Dont get me wrong, I agree with the fact that there are problems... what I am saying is that i am AWARE of the problems, AWARE of the solutions, AWARE of the alternatives and BECAUSE of that I have chosen to stay.

(although when I say that I only mean that I have chosen PB over iPad/Droid... I do not own a BB because 2 years ago I believed that the iPhone 4 was the best choice).
    04-05-12 04:12 PM

Excellent!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk
    04-05-12 04:12 PM
    Thank you for confirming what I thought about BBM. So then this is not an issue that only I have faced then. My staggering loss of contacts on BBM always surprised me. Also, when someone exited BB & got a new other phone, for some reason they would still show up on my BBM list and I would have no idea that they werent even on the platform anymore until they told me. BBM is a VERY integral part of BB and without this feature I dont see the platform being harnessed to its full potential. Also, Whatsapp on my Bold 9780 is a horrific experience and not one that is pleasant in any remote way.

Someone said that my Bold 9780 is not current and therefore cannot be compared to an Android phone. I live in a country where an entry level Android phone by Samsung, lets say, is 1/5th the price of a Bold 9780, and even that is much smoother and faster than my BB. How does that make me feel? Not good.
    I'm not aware of which country you are in but the reverse is true in the UK BBM is big and getting bigger.
    04-05-12 04:15 PM
    Dont get me wrong, I agree with the fact that there are problems... what I am saying is that i am AWARE of the problems, AWARE of the solutions, AWARE of the alternatives and BECAUSE of that I have chosen to stay.

(although when I say that I only mean that I have chosen PB over iPad/Droid... I do not own a BB because 2 years ago I believed that the iPhone 4 was the best choice).
    I completely agree.

We are not blind to the fact that there are other options.

We obviously chose Blackberry for a reason. So no one is living in denial.
    FSeverino and sleepngbear like this.
    04-05-12 04:17 PM
    I completely agree.

We are not blind to the fact that there are other options.

We obviously chose Blackberry for a reason. So no one is living in denial.
    SCORE! lol
    04-05-12 04:18 PM
    I am fortunate enough to own or even try most top phones on the market and as everyone says, it all depends on your needs first, not wants! When the app craze or phone coolness wears off, you will know what phone suits you the best. For me, it's always been back to my BB. I've gone iPhone, Android and WP and swap SIMS between these phones hundreds of times(usually only on the weekends), and my BB9900 gets full time usage on weekdays when work email and messaging is very important. The SGS2 is a great phone, but for my needs, the BB9900 takes the cake. Entertainment and media consumption is not tops on my need list, only my want list. My need list is mostly email and messaging and that is where my BB shines most to me. I notice I spend more time on my other phones to do the same task as my BB, hence why I value my free time during the day more. The more I can do, with the less time on my phone, the better for me!
    04-05-12 04:18 PM
    I am fortunate enough to own or even try most top phones on the market and as everyone says, it all depends on your needs first, not wants! When the app craze or phone coolness wears off, you will know what phone suits you the best. For me, it's always been back to my BB. I've gone iPhone, Android and WP and swap SIMS between these phones hundreds of times(usually only on the weekends), and my BB9900 gets full time usage on weekdays when work email and messaging is very important. The SGS2 is a great phone, but for my needs, the BB9900 takes the cake. Entertainment and media consumption is not tops on my need list, only my want list. My need list is mostly email and messaging and that is where my BB shines most to me. I notice I spend more time on my other phones to do the same task as my BB, hence why I value my free time during the day more. The more I can do, with the less time on my phone, the better for me!
    I think this is the main problem with todays generation. they WANT everything but dont know what they actually NEED. It is great to have all the coolest apps and games and all that... but are they NEEDED? With todays generation the WANTS are all the NEEDS and if you dont have what they NEED then "U SUX!"

I work with kids and there are at the very least a dozen kids under 13 that have iphones or BBs... because they NEED it... because THEIR FRIEND HAS IT.
    04-05-12 04:26 PM
    I personally dislike Android and have my reasons which I know no one else cares to hear. So I keep my thoughts to myself. Which is what should have done or go somewhere where some people might think the same.
    I'd actually be very interested to hear your reasons, just to see if any of them are the same as my reasons.

I'm happy you enjoy Android, so many great products in the market now.

I have an Apple product, Android product, BB phone & Playbook. Each device has it's own way of doing things, which I love.

I can never say one is better than the other, because they're different.

Love one some one sees my little Curve 8530 and laughs, they tell me to get with the times. I have to laugh when they see me open my leather bag with all my devices, i tell them to get with the times and get more than 1 device LOL.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk
    So much for one device that can do everything, eh?!!

"It isn't a purse ... it's European ... and it's holding all my (de)vices!!!"

I think this is the main problem with todays generation. they WANT everything but dont know what they actually NEED. It is great to have all the coolest apps and games and all that... but are they NEEDED? With todays generation the WANTS are all the NEEDS and if you dont have what they NEED then "U SUX!"

I work with kids and there are at the very least a dozen kids under 13 that have iphones or BBs... because they NEED it... because THEIR FRIEND HAS IT.
    Welcome to Marketing 101, bro!
    Capitalism at its finest. It's why this country is in dept up to our collective eyeballs.
    (No, I'm not a communist ... we just buy way too much sh!t!!)
    04-05-12 04:36 PM
    Maybe you should try A newer Blackberry or better yet switch devices but for me I luv my BB Bold 9900 and my wife has a Samsung Galaxy skyrocket (great phone) not for me though. My 16 year old daughter is getting a knew phone this week and really wants the BB9900 over any phone out there so even the younger people still dig the BB format. Its all in what YOU want that's all!
    04-05-12 04:42 PM
    i agree that bbos is ancient. one example is 2 way email sync.. and bb is supposed to be the leader in emails.

but there are things which keep me from moving, such as the keypad (i must give it credit) as well as a consolidated messages folder and freedom to access my files (this one i value a lot). maybe i'm just used to it or maybe i'm bad at adapting but whatever it is, i will still hold on to my bb for now and do a comparison again when bb10 is out.

04-05-12 04:57 PM
    OP has his views, but to suggest everyone who disagrees is deluded or hasn't experienced the competition is silly.
    BlackBerry phones are the absolute and undisputed best at what they do, email management, user alerts and notifications, every aspect of pure communication except VOIP and video chat.
    For some people thats a big deal.
    The keyboards are the ultimate for any mobile device, and thats also important for many people.
    BlackBerry is seriously lacking in apps. But what it does it does better than iOS, better than Android, and certainly better than Windows Phone 7, which looks very pretty, but is pretty poor when it comes down to functionality.
    On top of that, the 9780 does all that with a battery that will last you at least 2 days.
    The Galaxy S2 will be dead in about 8 hrs with medium use.

Ive used an iPhone in the past, wife owns a Galaxy S2, and best friend is running a Windows Phone.
    Ive used all of those phones and my current 9900 destroys them all for pure communications minus VOIP and video chat.
    My 9780 was pretty awesome as well but the 9900 takes it to another level.

If you prefer the other choices at the moment I can think of 2 reasons.
    - Your needs don't tie in with the BlackBerry OS. For example you have one email address or would prefer to have a load of picture editing apps and games instead of a world class keyboard and notification and message management system.
    - You haven't really tried any of the other options in depth and once you do you'll feel pretty stupid for your OP in this thread.

I love my 9900 but I won't go all out for RIM if I don't think I should be, so this post puzzles me greatly.
    For starters I would dispute the OPs post as I felt it was fairly uninformed.
    Second, moving to a new OS which has less apps than BBOS at the moment seems very premature. Announcing BB10 hindered BB7 sales greatly.
    The email management on Playbook is so far inferior to BBOS at the moment its not even funny. Theres no customisation, no proper notifications, and its all very very slow. So far BB10 is shaping up to be a step back not forwards.
    Guys like Alec Saunders were brought in, as you say. And whats he done? Why all the love for Alec Saunders? Key apps missing before he came, key apps missing after he came. The only things he brought were a stash of custom bright tshirts, the word 'awesome' in every sentence, and a daft idea to give away PlayBooks that further devalued the product. Dude must be a jedi the way people still think he's doing a good job when he seems to have done the sum total of sod all.
    04-05-12 04:58 PM
    Denial? The best QWERTY keyboards on any phone you will find? This is still important to me, my preference is to always have a real keyboard for messaging/emails/searches. No all touch phone with no keys/buttons is going to change what I like using all the time.

Think about it, dl an app that you might use a few times or a feature you use constantly- TYPING!!! What is more important to me? The typing experience.

Add in my battery life is really good, I have the main useful apps on my Torch for data sharing with my laptop (tether), data sharing with my Playbook (bridge), social network I use (facebook), weather app (weather channel), color LED notification app (bebuzz), video streaming app (youtube). Why do I bring up those apps, that are not necessarily all exclusive to BB? I use them everyday!!! They matter.

I mean I will admit, it would be nice to play Words with Friends, Draw Something, Angry Birds, etc. but for what I need my phone to do, my Torch still works great.

I watch people with other phones that have no way to data share to their tablets without paying a monthly fee and I shake my head. I can use my BB Torch 9800 data plan on my laptop and Playbook for free! Now that is a great practical use for my phone.

I am not denying RIM needs to get their act together on the consumer side of apps in media and games. Also they need to fine tune what they have already done with QNX with BB10 and finally market it properly. They have an uphill battle, but Blackberries have been and still are good smartphones. They have just been lacking in game and media functionality compared to Android and iPhones.

Also a trend that I hear or read, "goodbye <insert older model 2-3 year phone name>, hello <insert newer, technological more advanced modern phone here>" I am sick of seeing. I mean would you compare a 3 year old iPhone to a newer one? No, then why do people constantly do that with old Blackberries. If you aren't comparing BB7 devices, then you aren't being fair...
    04-05-12 04:59 PM
    I like the keyboard on Blackberry phones, but I can't help feel that people just haven't given the touch screen keyboards a chance. Many of the keyboards on touch screen phones are just as easy to type on as the physical one on the Bold. Of course when you have spent years typing on the Blackberry physical keyboard, any touch screen keyboard is going to feel different. I've spent the last few months with my 9860 and I can say for certain that typing on here is no longer any different then it was on my 9780. I no longer view the keyboard as a selling point for me, and saying that its "to difficult" to type on a non QWERTY keyboard is just false information.
    04-05-12 05:25 PM
    I like the keyboard on Blackberry phones, but I can't help feel that people just haven't given the touch screen keyboards a chance. Many of the keyboards on touch screen phones are just as easy to type on as the physical one on the Bold. Of course when you have spent years typing on the Blackberry physical keyboard, any touch screen keyboard is going to feel different. I've spent the last few months with my 9860 and I can say for certain that typing on here is no longer any different then it was on my 9780. I no longer view the keyboard as a selling point for me, and saying that its "to difficult" to type on a non QWERTY keyboard is just false information.

I had an iPhone and I spent more time correcting typos. I hated that keyboard.

The same thing with my Playbook.

I hate typing on touchscreens! They arent efficient

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by shemaree09; 04-05-12 at 05:41 PM.
    sleepngbear and bigbmc26 like this.
    04-05-12 05:36 PM
    Ive tried the touchscreen keyboard on an iPhone, an HTC Hero, a Samsung Galaxy S2 and the PlayBook. They were all not great. The iPhone was the least awful of the lot on a mobile, the PlayBook was decent given the additional space.
    None of them compared to the keyboard on my 9780, which I got after all of the above except the PlayBook.
    Thats not counting numerous Nokia non QWERTY keypads i had.
    You cannot be serious saying the keyboard on a 9780 is equal or worse than any touchscreen keyboard or non qwerty keypad.
    And the 9900 blows them all away.
    My wife has that Swype app on her Android, and has a lot of fun swiping around, watching a word appear, then tapping away, editing it, often cancelling it and trying again.
    Its all fun to play with, but if you need to be typing away for long periods of time saying a QWERTY keyboard isn't an advantage is just silly.
    04-05-12 05:44 PM
    Of course your dated bb pales next to the newest Droid, maybe suggest you compare the latest Droid with the latest Bold 9900 just so you're comparing apples to apples (no pun intended, but hey it works AND it's funny).

Bottom line, after comparing 9900 to the Droid just go with the one you prefer and be happiest. There's no reason the rest of us all have to like the same phone you do.

Good luck and enjoy your new phone.
    04-05-12 06:01 PM
    I had an iPhone and I spent more time correcting typos. I hated that keyboard.

The same thing with my Playbook.

I hate typing on touchscreens! They arent efficient

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    I'm getting pretty good on the Playbook but ya, I'm much faster and more accurate on my 9800 or my 9000.
    04-05-12 06:05 PM
    Or perhaps personal preference.
    04-05-12 06:07 PM
    To answer your question, I have loved and defended Blackberry for a long time now, its just that only recently have I woken up to the cold, harsh reality that the 'smartphone' I had was anything but. I am also genuinely surprised at the number of users here who use and love Blackberry phones but don't use BBM.

I get it. So you now see "the matrix". And you are trying to wake the rest of us. Lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    04-05-12 06:23 PM
    Is it time for me to go over to android central and talk about how much my 9850 absolutely smokes that horrid droid eris that came out a few years ago?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Stewartj1 and shemaree09 like this.
    04-05-12 06:34 PM
    From your message it seems you have answered your own question. Which is a good thing. Some of the Androids are good computer type devices (I have no experience with the Iphone). It is not a negative for the Android phone to do things that Blackberry will not satisfy. It is just a fact. I'm waiting until Monday to order my second Bold 9930 because I'm "jones'n" big time. I have multiple Androids in the house right now (bionic, incredible 2, and two incredibles) and just don't care for them. The Bold 9930 is a tight piece hardware with the matured OS 7. I'm heavily into Linux and find the communication capability of Blackberry fit my style the best.
    04-05-12 07:07 PM
    I wish I were on the Nile but I'm not in denial.
    04-05-12 07:50 PM

In the end, its just a phone. An inanimate object, electronic, gadget. No need to be in denial for anything. Just go for the one that works best for you.
    Nice one!!
    04-05-12 07:56 PM
199 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD