Welcome to CrackBerry

I encourage you to post in the correct places, posts like these don't need their own thread.

If you're buying an Android, there are lots of great ones, make sure you also register on http://www.androidcentral.com/

as for if we are living in denial, Hardware cost of the phone doesn't really matter to me, so I am not locked into BlackBerry because I am on a contract, BlackBerry works Better for me, most of the apps I want are available, and a few that are not, aren't actually available on any smartphone platform so I am not missing out.

Everyone has a different set of needs, you should be examining your needs at every phone purchase.

BlackBerry has come a long way since the 9780, the spec jump is almost double with the next generation Bold line.
    Enjoy your next phone.
    04-05-12 02:17 PM
    OP, I think it's great that you found a device which works for you!

I use a BlackBerry device because it does everything I need it to without a fuss or hassle. I love that my phone is a "no-nonsense" device. I also love my PlayBook in that it's a very unique device. BBM was never a huge draw for me when I got my first BB. There are too many other things I love about my BB devices.

I believe many here are put-off by the fact that you are insinuating that BBs and their users are outdated on a BlackBerry fan site. Many of us do realize this (as does RIM, which is why BB10 is coming), but BB still does a number of things better than the other platforms.

My two cents.
    04-05-12 02:26 PM
    Everyone has different needs from their phone. No doubt BBOS may seem a little behind in terms of app and entertainment, but it does excel in productivity. For a heavy text input user like myself, a keyboard is more comfortable to use. Plus i like the way BBOS works too, its efficient.

But that said, giving credit when its due, iOS really did moved the industry forward in that sense. It showed that phones need not only be communication devices, but they can be a serious entertainment and all rounded device as well. It can be a devices that could do everything well and pretty much replace the needs of multiple devices. It gave the industry a much needed jolt, and accelerated the enhancements on mobile devices. Android provided a viable alternative as well to provide that rich to more users. Eventually this is something that i imagine BB10 would become as well.

In the end, its just a phone. An inanimate object, electronic, gadget. No need to be in denial for anything. Just go for the one that works best for you.
    04-05-12 02:28 PM
    I've tried the iphone and come home on several different occasions. I've never been happier with a phone than I am with the 9900. I even came back for more after my first one bricked. As many have said it's not fair to compare the 9780 to a new android phone. That being said... Try something new. All the bells and whistles are nice at first but after a while the grass isn't always greener. I've found the perfect mobile setup with the 9900 and ipad2 for fun.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    04-05-12 02:29 PM
    This whole idea of having no BBM friends is absurd. I have a total of 3 BBM friends (4 if you count Blackberry Bold contest), do I care? NO. I can text my wife who has an iPhone 4 and colleagues who use different devices just as well using SMS. Are there some limitations/disadvantages? Sure, but overall a text message is a text message. With unlimited texting that are included with majority of data plans, this becomes a moot point.

I have a 9900 which by far better than a 9780 I know this because my father in law has one (9780) from his company. Maybe give that a try.

I personally dislike Android and have my reasons which I know no one else cares to hear. So I keep my thoughts to myself. Which is what should have done or go somewhere where some people might think the same.
    dangerousfen and spyeagle like this.
    04-05-12 02:43 PM
    Many of us have used or tired other platforms. We still prefer BlackBerry for whatever reasons. That's not denial, that's choice or preference.
    shemaree09, bigbmc26 and menaknow like this.
    04-05-12 02:58 PM
    Many of us have used or tired other platforms. We still prefer BlackBerry for whatever reasons. That's not denial, that's choice or preference.
    this exactly.
    04-05-12 02:59 PM
    I'm happy you enjoy Android, so many great products in the market now.

I have an Apple product, Android product, BB phone & Playbook. Each device has it's own way of doing things, which I love.

I can never say one is better than the other, because they're different.

Love one some one sees my little Curve 8530 and laughs, they tell me to get with the times. I have to laugh when they see me open my leather bag with all my devices, i tell them to get with the times and get more than 1 device LOL.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-05-12 03:02 PM
    First off, I am not part of your we. Do I wish that BBOS could do more? Sure. Is it behind Android and iOS for media consumption? Yes. Can Android and iOS do everything BBOS can and do it as efficiently? No. Will BB10 address the media consumption component and still provide me everything that I get from BBOS? Supposedly, and based on Playbook OS 2, yes. Nothing wrong with seeing if the grass is greener on the other side, but joining a forum just to take a dump in the yard and say "we" are in denial is rather sad.
    04-05-12 03:05 PM
    What one person calls denial, another person might call preference
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    04-05-12 03:08 PM
    This whole idea of having no BBM friends is absurd. I have a total of 3 BBM friends (4 if you count Blackberry Bold contest), do I care? NO. I can text my wife who has an iPhone 4 and colleagues who use different devices just as well using SMS. Are there some limitations/disadvantages? Sure, but overall a text message is a text message. With unlimited texting that are included with majority of data plans, this becomes a moot point.
    This! i dont understand why people keep throwing the BBM thing out there. To me, its like complaining about only have 1 or 2 AOL or Yahoo Messenger friends lol!

BBM was a huge selling point before unlimited text plans, twitter, and facebook became popular.

BBM is still beneficial for communicating overseas, but overall there are several methods to contact other people, and BBM is just one of MANY.
    Last edited by shemaree09; 04-05-12 at 03:12 PM.
    04-05-12 03:10 PM
    BBM was a huge selling point before unlimited text plans, twitter, and facebook became popular.
    Unlimited text plans have been disappearing rather than growing...

Also even way prior to stuff like twitter and FB you had things like aim chat, yahoo chat, msn chat, etc. I doubt most people would communicate across twitter in the same capacity that they do on a chat application because twitter tends to be a lot more open and isn't nearly as nice for sending or managing repeated message replies...
    04-05-12 03:18 PM
    I find native messaging apps to be quicker, use less data and be less glitchy. That's why I prefer to us iMessage or BBM over a third party app. A native app is nice because you know that if someone has a certain phone then they automatically have that messenger. You don't have to ask, "do you use Live Profile? WhatsApp? No? Will you download it?"

But, I'm forced to use a third part because my friends and family all use different platforms. I do consider going Apple just for ease of messaging using iMessage since that's what most of them have.

But, I still prefer a BlackBerry. They better switch! Not me.
    04-05-12 03:19 PM
    Unlimited text plans have been disappearing rather than growing...

Also even way prior to stuff like twitter and FB you had things like aim chat, yahoo chat, msn chat, etc. I doubt most people would communicate across twitter in the same capacity that they do on a chat application because twitter tends to be a lot more open and isn't nearly as nice for sending or managing repeated message replies...
    my point is, BBM was/is its own social network. But times have changed, technology has evolved and there are different platforms available now.

So you cant send a BBM to your iPhone/Android friend. Big deal! Whats the difference between sending a text, DM on Twitter, Message on Facebook, or a message on MSN, AOL, Y messenger, etc..???

Also, at least in the US, unlimted text plans are pretty common.

On Verizon unlimited text are $20, while 1000 texts are $10.

Pay as you go texts is whats disappearing. Either way, your texting plan is plentiful.
    Last edited by shemaree09; 04-05-12 at 03:24 PM.
    04-05-12 03:22 PM
    Difference is:

Text message plans are insanely overpriced. Some of us have text blocked.
    AIM app is terrible on all three platforms. Disconnects from server constantly.
    Some of those other messengers don't have many features like D and R and file or location sharing.
    Messaging through Twitter is slow and clunky. Not at all like instant messenger. And again, not everyone has a Twitter or Facebook nor wants one.

UNTIL you've used all those messengers, including BBM and iMessage you won't really get it. I really don't want 10 different messenger apps on my phone. I want one, really, that everyone I talk to most uses. It's frustrating having to use different apps for different contacts.

I don't even know anyone who uses Yahoo messenger anymore. Google Talk was pretty good, but it didn't have a lot of features that BBM has either.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-05-12 at 03:28 PM.
    04-05-12 03:26 PM
    Difference is:

Text message plans are insanely overpriced. Some of us have text blocked.
    AIM app is terrible on all three platforms. Disconnects from server constantly.
    Some of those other messengers don't have many features like D and R and file or location sharing.
    Messaging through Twitter is slow and clunky. Not at all like instant messenger. And again, not everyone has a Twitter or Facebook nor wants one.

UNTIL you've used all those messengers, including BBM and iMessage you won't really get it.
    I have used them all (except iMessage), and I understand.

My point though is that BBM is not a TOP feature for most people anymore.
    04-05-12 03:28 PM
    ....and my emails came in hours later.

Who cares about all that extra stuff?
    Hasn't it been well established by now that Exchange ActiveSync pushes email AT LEAST as fast as BIS/BES? And by "extra stuff", can we assume you mean applications? If so, then the answer to your question is "everyone who thinks they should get the maximum amount of utility out their smartphone as possible." BlackBerry rather famously missed that boat long ago. But you're right, if YOU are satisfied with a hobbled device, that's all that matters. Enjoy it while it lasts, I'd say. For the clock is surely ticking.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    04-05-12 03:29 PM
    Hasn't it been well established by now that Exchange ActiveSync pushes email AT LEAST as fast as BIS/BES? And by "extra stuff", can we assume you mean applications? If so, then the answer to your question is "everyone who thinks they should get the maximum amount of utility out their smartphone as possible." BlackBerry rather famously missed that boat long ago. But you're right, if YOU are satisfied with a hobbled device, that's all that matters. Enjoy it while it lasts, I'd say. For the clock is surely ticking.
    LOL at "hobbled"

So if a phone that does everything I need it do, all while lasting all day on a single charge is considered "hobbled" then so be it!

i bet you had an OS 4 or 5 device lol
    Last edited by shemaree09; 04-05-12 at 03:38 PM.
    04-05-12 03:32 PM
    I have used them all (except iMessage), and I understand.

My point though is that BBM is not a TOP feature for most people anymore.
    At least not until everyone comes back to BlackBerry! Then it will be again.

My hope! Lol but yeah, I like BB for other reasons since I only have 3 BBM contacts.
    04-05-12 03:32 PM
    I agree that BlackBerry doesn't do EVERYTHING that other devices can. But if what it DOES do are the things I find important, and it excels at those things.

I don't Netflix or Skype on my phone. Now, on my tab...maybe!
    04-05-12 03:35 PM
    its just that only recently have I woken up to the cold, harsh reality that the 'smartphone' I had was anything but.
    See, I don't get this. What makes it not a smart phone? Yes, there are higher-spec, fuller-function phones out there, but there are also many lower-spec devices that are still considered smart phones. To me, this falls into the classification of those who think BlackBerry's are only good for email and messaging, which, while these are certainly among BB's strengths, they are not it's only strengths. You may need to grab yourself a BB7 phone to see that even though BB is no longer on the top of the mountain, it surely hasn't been standing still since BB6.

I am also genuinely surprised at the number of users here who use and love Blackberry phones but don't use BBM.
    Does this not strongly suggest that there's much more to the BB experience than just BBM, and does it not strongly contradict the notion that BB is not a smart phone?

You're not happy with the phone any more, I get that. BBM, apparently one of the primary drivers for your using a BB, is quickly losing its benefits for you. I get that too. All the melodrama around this epiphany, that I don't get.
    shemaree09 and bobauckland like this.
    04-05-12 03:39 PM
    Love one some one sees my little Curve 8530 and laughs, they tell me to get with the times. I have to laugh when they see me open my leather bag with all my devices, i tell them to get with the times and get more than 1 device LOL.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk
    lol too funny. And as someone stated above its not about being in denial. some us stay with blackberry because we like it not necessarily because we are in denial
    04-05-12 03:40 PM
    If you live your life based on wants versus needs, then you clearly are in a state of denial.
    04-05-12 03:49 PM
    Hey OP. De Nile ain't just a river in Egypt! Your usage is telling you that you need a different phone. Go buy it. Sheesh. it is not that difficult. Many here are very happy with their BBs. Bub-bye.
    Elyssa_38 likes this.
    04-05-12 03:52 PM
    lol too funny. And as someone stated above its not about being in denial. some us stay with blackberry because we like it not necessarily because we are in denial
    Of course, you have to account for those of us who don't know what we want, need or like.
    04-05-12 03:56 PM
199 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD