I still think there is some wiggle room left for them if they continue to support the 4/64 KeyONE with updates. That is the model listed for Android Enterprise, not the 3/32 (carrier only) version.

We won't know for sure for at least another month what is really going on.
    That still doesn't make sense to me. If they are paying BlackBerry for the updated builds anyway, it costs BBMo nothing to send them out to the Silver too.
    05-07-19 01:29 PM
    That still doesn't make sense to me. If they are paying BlackBerry for the updated builds anyway, it costs BBMo nothing to send them out to the Silver too.
    Does depend on how they must pay BlackBerry.... Is it one simple fee per update (all devices)? A fee per model or even varriant? Or a license fee per unit updated?

I lean more toward the later being the case. But it's anyone guess right now. We don't know the terms of the original licseing arrangement
    05-07-19 02:26 PM
    Does depend on how they must pay BlackBerry...
    Yes of course.

But I think it maximum strangeness if there was a colour clause in the agreement.

The silver model made it to some markets AFTER the black one.

I just think it's a very illogical distinction.

BBMo certainly does not distinguish between the colours with the Enterprise Recommended stamp its website.
    05-07-19 03:06 PM
    Yes of course.

But I think it maximum strangeness if there was a colour clause in the agreement.

BBMo certainly does not distinguish between the colours with the Enterprise Recommended stamp its website.
    No one said anything about it being based on the colour. That's YOUR assumption.
    05-07-19 03:43 PM
    No one said anything about it being based on the colour. That's your assumption.
    3GB versus 4GB is just as bizarre a distinction.

What about my other points?
    05-07-19 03:45 PM
    Yes of course.

I agree... KEYone is a KEYone.

But it does beg to ask, is a KEY2 LE a KEY2 - not sure if their support cycle is the same or not. In my mind they are two very different products and are separated by six months. But then they were developed together and both are KEY2 devices.

Like some other major OEM's... wish BBMo was a little more transparent on their support plans for devices. But BBMo isn't a major OEM... not sure they want to be committed.
    05-07-19 03:46 PM
    I agree... KEYone is a KEYone.

But it does beg to ask, is a KEY2 LE a KEY2 - not sure if their support cycle is the same or not. In my mind they are two very different products and are separated by six months. But then they were developed together and both are KEY2 devices.

Like some other major OEM's... wish BBMo was a little more transparent on their support plans for devices. But BBMo isn't a major OEM... not sure they want to be committed.
    I would definitely say the KEY² LE is a distinct device from the KEY².

The KEYᵒⁿᵉ devices are all BBB100. Apart from a slight memory reconfiguration, they are all the identical product.

The KEY² and KEY² LE are BBF100 and BBE100. They share almost no common parts - different shell, SoC, cameras, keyboard, etc. They are also each targeted to different ends of the market.
    Last edited by conite; 05-07-19 at 03:58 PM.
    05-07-19 03:47 PM
    I would definitely say the KEY² LE is a distinct device from the KEY².

The KEYᵒⁿᵉ devices are all BBB100. Apart from a slight memory reconfiguration, they are all the identical product.

The KEY² and KEY² LE are BBF100 and BBE100. They share almost no common parts - different shell, SoC, cameras, keyboard, etc. They are also each targeted to different ends of the market.
    The general trend (other than a plethora of PRD's that defy logical explanation) is the higher GB storage options are factory unlocked / non-carrier variants, and more expensive. Therefore, not only is there a clear and obvious hardware differentiator (in addition to the PRD code) but the price point might also suggest a different support regimen from the lower spec'd (and cheaper) carrier PRD's.
    05-07-19 07:38 PM
    but the price point might also suggest a different support regimen from the lower spec'd (and cheaper) carrier PRD's.
    The single most popular silver variant is the non-carrier 63116-001. By far.

There are actually only 3 (out of 30+) silver GSM models attached to carriers.
    Last edited by conite; 05-07-19 at 08:07 PM.
    05-07-19 07:54 PM
    The single most popular silver variant is the non-carrier 63116-001. By far.

There are actually only 3 silver GSM models attached to carriers.
    There you go again, trying to make this about paint colour.

At any rate, I'm now sure about the accuracy of your statements and how you would know which model sold better or not (?), but the one carrier confirmed discontinued model so far (Rogers) is the 3/32 variant with a unique PRD...and sold, as I recall, at a lower price point than the so-called factory unlocked versions of the device.

So yeah I think there may very well be a correlation between price point, specs, and update support.
    05-07-19 08:05 PM
    There you go again, trying to make this about paint colour.

At any rate, I'm now sure about the accuracy of your statements and how you would know which model sold better or not (?), but the one carrier confirmed discontinued model so far (Rogers) is the 3/32 variant with a unique PRD...and sold, as I recall, at a lower price point than the so-called factory unlocked versions of the device.

So yeah I think there may very well be a correlation between price point, specs, and update support.
    I guess I'm not following.

The vast majority of "lower-spec'd, and cheaper" (3/32) variants at NOT carrier devices.

Are you saying only the 3 Canadian carrier devices (plus perhaps the AT&T space-black) are exempt from the Android Recommended program?
    05-07-19 08:15 PM
    I guess I'm not following.

The vast majority of "lower-spec'd, and cheaper" (3/32) variants at NOT carrier devices.

Are you saying only the 3 Canadian carrier devices (plus perhaps the AT&T space-black) are exempt from the Android Recommended program?
    Vast majority? We don't know what numbers were sold. You are referring to PRD codes.

The Android recommended site lists the 4/64 KEYone variant. So yes, I think it's entirely possible the more inexpensive 3/32 trim had its updates discontinued, which I've already stated multiple times.
    05-07-19 09:05 PM
    Vast majority? We don't know what numbers were sold. You are referring to PRD codes.

The Android recommended site lists the 4/64 KEYone variant. So yes, I think it's entirely possible the more inexpensive 3/32 trim had its updates discontinued, which I've already stated multiple times.
    Yes, but then you also keep talking about carriers, so I'm not sure if you're talking about the silver in general, or only the relatively small subset of silvers sold via the Canadian carriers.
    05-07-19 09:08 PM
    Assuming BBMo works like every other manufacturer in the industry, then updates will be the same (notwithstanding carriers blocking them) for all phones in a model family (all BBB100 variants, for example). I wouldn't put any weight at all on the fact that the Enterprise Recommended page uses the higher-spec'ed phone as the example for that model - a KeyOne is a KeyOne. That's pretty consistent across the industry.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    05-07-19 09:26 PM
    Assuming BBMo works like every other manufacturer in the industry, then updates will be the same (notwithstanding carriers blocking them) for all phones in a model family (all BBB100 variants, for example). I wouldn't put any weight at all on the fact that the Enterprise Recommended page uses the higher-spec'ed phone as the example for that model - a KeyOne is a KeyOne. That's pretty consistent across the industry.
    Not sure that anyone would put weight on it if all they listed was the 4 gig version. They list both with one (4 gig) showing as enterprise recommended and one (3 gig) showing as not.
    05-08-19 10:51 AM
    Not sure that anyone would put weight on it if all they listed was the 4 gig version. They list both with one (4 gig) showing as enterprise recommended and one (3 gig) showing as not.
    Well, BlackBerry Mobile certainly doesn't distinguish between the two.
    05-08-19 11:59 AM
    Well, BlackBerry Mobile certainly doesn't distinguish between the two.[IMG=540x810]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190508/81e3eb6fe168fd21ae592f5bfb1f95aa.jpg[/url][IMG=540x810]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190508/7cba30d9d88abaa8a64d598c452829ed.jpg[/url]
    Well someone made a distinction on the android enterprise approved site for some reason.
    05-08-19 12:04 PM
    https://forums.crackberry.com/rumore...bj100-1170217/

bbj100global
    bbj100americas
    bbj100dscnchina
    bbj100dsglobal
    bbj100dsglobalindia
    bbj100dsglobalrussia
    bbj100dsglobalindonesia
    bbj100dsamericas
    the_boon likes this.
    05-09-19 05:49 PM
    https://forums.crackberry.com/rumore...bj100-1170217/

bbj100global
    bbj100americas
    bbj100dscnchina
    bbj100dsglobal
    bbj100dsglobalindia
    bbj100dsglobalrussia
    bbj100dsglobalindonesia
    bbj100dsamericas
    good news indeed..

now that May is here, will see if bbmo is updating the silver key1 or not...
    05-13-19 08:27 PM
    good news indeed..

now that May is here, will see if bbmo is updating the silver key1 or not...
    Silver KEYone? How about all KEYone.... at this point the only BBMo product to not have any of it's variants updated as of yet.

It is possible, and it would make sense if they moved to quarterly updates... but then I think making an announcement might have been in order.

Updates ending as on the schedule that they have always maintained... shouldn't be a surprise, nor in it's self a "end of times".

I can still see another phone or two... (if BlackBerry can stream line things enough to match the revenues that only one Licensee will generate with one product every 18-24 months)
    05-22-19 08:50 AM
    Silver KEYone? How about all KEYone.... at this point the only BBMo product to not have any of it's variants updated as of yet.

It is possible, and it would make sense if they moved to quarterly updates... but then I think making an announcement might have been in order.

Updates ending as on the schedule that they have always maintained... shouldn't be a surprise, nor in it's self a "end of times".

I can still see another phone or two... (if BlackBerry can stream line things enough to match the revenues that only one Licensee will generate with one product every 18-24 months)
    Don’t forget the added costs of the additional colors paint strategy.
    05-22-19 02:53 PM
46 12