with the eol of bbm, power center, productivity tab, notable, device search and no future smartphone from tcl in sight, are we too in the endgame???
    04-30-19 01:48 AM
    It’s just 2016 all over again. BBM and failed BB Apps have nothing to do with the BBMo licensed hardware.

Does this mean BBMo is or isn’t winding down? No idea.

The only thing I’m saying is that BB chopped up various parts of “mobile hardware and related software” back then. BB is only in this for paying customers at the licensing part or level of the business. It’s not and never has really been a consumer business, intentionally.
    04-30-19 05:56 AM
    Does seem like back in the day Kevin was the Avengers....

Are we in the endgame too?-mobile_nations_assemble_2.jpg
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 04-30-19 at 09:00 AM.
    ppeters914 and RoseBud68 like this.
    04-30-19 07:05 AM
    with the eol of bbm, power center, productivity tab, notable, device search and no future smartphone from tcl in sight, are we too in the endgame???
    As per February announcement, the KEY lifecycle is extending, and a new device shouldn't be expected until late 2019 or early 2020.

The apps you speak of are being discontinued solely from lack of adoption.
    04-30-19 07:06 AM
    As per February announcement, the KEY lifecycle is extending, and a new device shouldn't be expected until late 2019 or early 2020.

So devices could also be discontinued based on "lack of adoption" as well then hey?
    skinnymike1 and John Albert like this.
    04-30-19 07:42 AM
    So devices could also be discontinued based on "lack of adoption" as well then hey?
    Sure but look how long that strategy was dragged out with BBOS and BB10 in the past. At least with BBAndroid, there’s actual modern supported ecosystem.. regarding just the Android components.

People side load ART 4.3 apps on BB10 so it’s not like security is really a concern.
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-30-19 07:49 AM
    Obviously.

My point was that the lack of a KEY³ today was planned a long time ago.
    chain13 likes this.
    04-30-19 07:58 AM
    Thanks to TCL and BB for giving us Android physical keyboard phones.

Maybe another licensee will come on board if TCL backs out.
    the_boon likes this.
    04-30-19 08:59 AM
    Thanks to TCL and BB for giving us Android physical keyboard phones.

Maybe another licensee will come on board if TCL backs out.
    Of course anything could happen, but my gut says TCL aren't going anywhere - at least for the second half of their licensing term.
    04-30-19 09:05 AM
    Of course anything could happen, but my gut says TCL aren't going anywhere - at least for the second half of their licensing term.
    Your gut taught there would be three years of updates..... (you could still be right).

My gut thinks that it's BlackBerry that had a minimum number of units in the contract all along to protect them, and that the three licensees failed to meet that minimum. Five years means nothing without some milestones... (Emtek has a long contract too)

Now maybe TCL was close all on their own (but I doubt it), and maybe BlackBerry has been able to scale down (getting rid of executive and some software to steam line things, maybe other things that we don't know of - move to quarterly updates would be good) to be where they can be profitable and still offer this program (possible).
    04-30-19 10:02 AM
    Your gut taught there would be three years of updates..... (you could still be right).
    My gut didn't say it - the Enterprise Recommended website did.
    04-30-19 10:03 AM
    so what did it all means? we'll just have to wait and see? I certainly hope that tcl won't back off because at this moment I don't know what smartphone to get besides bb..

hope they don't kill off password keeper, dtek and etc.. dying a slow death.. if they aren't going to continue, they better let us know in advance.. not another episode of bb10..
    MartyE likes this.
    04-30-19 10:22 PM
    so what did it all means? we'll just have to wait and see? I certainly hope that tcl won't back off because at this moment I don't know what smartphone to get besides bb..

hope they don't kill off password keeper, dtek and etc.. dying a slow death.. if they aren't going to continue, they better let us know in advance.. not another episode of bb10..
    Just get whatever BBMo hardware you like the best. They're not going to say anything since that would be stupid on their part.

If you want Android/IOS flagship direction and communication, buy flagship Android/IOS hardware.
    04-30-19 11:15 PM
    Emtek has nothing to do with blackberry limited:hosted BBMe. The low-use applications being phased out also has nothing to do with TCL. They also make televisions, besides smartphones. They have their target markets. Blackberry limited doesn't make hardware anymore, and they are just going along with their enterprise schedule and all.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    05-01-19 10:05 AM
    Emtek has nothing to do with blackberry limited:hosted BBMe. The low-use applications being phased out also has nothing to do with TCL. They also make televisions, besides smartphones. They have their target markets. Blackberry limited doesn't make hardware anymore, and they are just going along with their enterprise schedule and all.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    Fully agree....

Also, on their own....

• Alex Thurber leaving BlackBerry might not have anything to do with BlackBerry deal with TCL.
    • BlackBerry phasing out some apps that were only for their hardware, probable won't affect TCL too much going forward as those are duplicates of what the OS now does or what more popular apps offer.
    • Optiemus inability to get their Evolve X launched has nothing to do with TCL
    • Merah Puthin closing down might actually open a new market for whoever wants it.
    • Verizon promised pick of the KEY2 LE being slow to show up mean nothing.
    • BBMo extending their KEYdevcie cycle makes perfect sense.
    • BBMo not having the promised other slab and no other devices... doesn't really mean anything.
    • No signs of any new hardware or software (like PIE) could just be they have locked things down.
    • KEYone updates possible ending where the plan all along, really no reason for people to care.

Very possible this is just how they have planned things... (without consulting anyone in PR)
    05-01-19 11:03 AM
    Does seem like back in the day Kevin was the Avengers....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mobile_nations_assemble_2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	444152
    That really took me back. Back in the day, the Blackberry Avengers was a thing:

Are we in the endgame too?-screen-shot-2019-05-03-6.40.56-am.jpg
    ppeters914 likes this.
    05-03-19 05:42 AM
    Fully agree....

Also, on their own....

• Alex Thurber leaving BlackBerry might not have anything to do with BlackBerry deal with TCL.
    • BlackBerry phasing out some apps that were only for their hardware, probable won't affect TCL too much going forward as those are duplicates of what the OS now does or what more popular apps offer.
    • Optiemus inability to get their Evolve X launched has nothing to do with TCL
    • Merah Puthin closing down might actually open a new market for whoever wants it.
    • Verizon promised pick of the KEY2 LE being slow to show up mean nothing.
    • BBMo extending their KEYdevcie cycle makes perfect sense.
    • BBMo not having the promised other slab and no other devices... doesn't really mean anything.
    • No signs of any new hardware or software (like PIE) could just be they have locked things down.
    • KEYone updates possible ending where the plan all along, really no reason for people to care.

Very possible this is just how they have planned things... (without consulting anyone in PR)
    You nailed it man!
    RWIndiana likes this.
    05-03-19 05:49 AM
    That really took me back. Back in the day, the Blackberry Avengers was a thing:
    Fitting that Kevin picked the one that wouldn't make it....
    05-03-19 07:41 AM
    Our revels are now ended.
    05-05-19 08:12 AM
    Pretty much consistent with anything BlackBerry.
    05-05-19 09:05 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry Mobile is going anywhere. As mention previously the extend the KEY life cycle to allow users to breathe between devices. Hardware sells are down for all mobile manufactures including Samsung and Apple. People aren't buying phones like they use to.

The fact that BlackBerry Limited is phasing out three apps is only because they have very low usage/downloads. The main BlackBerry Android apps like Calendar, Hub (Inbox) Contacts, DTEK, etc aren't going anywhere and are actually getting pretty regular updates. If these apps start going EOL then we have reason for concern.
    05-07-19 11:00 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry Mobile is going anywhere. As mention previously the extend the KEY life cycle to allow users to breathe between devices. Hardware sells are down for all mobile manufactures including Samsung and Apple. People aren't buying phones like they use to.

The fact that BlackBerry Limited is phasing out three apps is only because they have very low usage/downloads. The main BlackBerry Android apps like Calendar, Hub (Inbox) Contacts, DTEK, etc aren't going anywhere and are actually getting pretty regular updates. If these apps start going EOL then we have reason for concern.
    Actually the EOL apps are still a concern, IMO. Not because of what they do or their popularity, but because they ONLY ship on BlackBerry devices (hardware). With all BBMo's devices supposedly with one or two years of support left, why would these apps be declared EOL now?

Seems a bit odd. Even for BlackBerry.
    05-07-19 11:34 AM

Most those apps (other than DTEK) are also used by BlackBerry UEM... even if hardware goes away I'd expect the HUB in some form to remain.

My issue with life cycle... is hardware extension only works if the software is extended to match. I "taught" that the Android Recommend program helped with this, but that they still need to add in another feature update. But that they aren't even meeting that program and sticking to only two years.... if that is true, they are done.

The value of phones will fall this year, as will sales... and BBMo is smart enough to know that.
    05-07-19 11:35 AM
    Most those apps (other than DTEK) are also used by BlackBerry UEM... even if hardware goes away I'd expect the HUB in some form to remain.

My issue with life cycle... is hardware extension only works if the software is extended to match. I "taught" that the Android Recommend program helped with this, but that they still need to add in another feature update. But that they aren't even meeting that program and sticking to only two years.... if that is true, they are done.

The value of phones will fall this year, as will sales... and BBMo is smart enough to know that.
    I still think there is some wiggle room left for them if they continue to support the 4/64 KeyONE with updates. That is the model listed for Android Enterprise, not the 3/32 (carrier only) version.

We won't know for sure for at least another month what is really going on.
    05-07-19 12:14 PM
    I still think there is some wiggle room left for them if they continue to support the 4/64 KeyONE with updates. That is the model listed for Android Enterprise, not the 3/32 (carrier only) version.

We won't know for sure for at least another month what is really going on.
    There is wiggle room for the to support the whole line still...

Being that most of Enterprise buys from Carrier's I think saying to Enterprise buyers "oops you bought the wrong KEYone, it was only this version that offered the extra year of updates".

Anything is possible... up until it isn't.
    05-07-19 01:09 PM
46 12