1. xforum142riidax's Avatar
    I own a new blackberry curve 8530 and last night i dropped the phone in water. i let the phone dry under a hot lamp all night, and tried to turn it on this morning, didnt realize i should have waited a few days. The red light came on when i put the battery in and the little clock came on the screen like it was loading, then turned off. i then tried to charge it, and the red light was on, then went off. now the red light wont go on, so i have taken the battery out again and am trying to dry it... is it too late? is the phone a goner? thanks in advance.
    02-28-10 11:36 AM
  2. snowindec9's Avatar
    you should have put it in dried rice for 24 hours. you shouldn't have let it dry under a hot lamp and then tried to charge it. im sorry to say but its a goner.
    02-28-10 11:55 AM
  3. Radius's Avatar
    Water isn't the problem, water doesn't damage electronics unless it's high voltage usually.

    What you have is a mineral problem. You can dry it out and try it but this can produce mixed results, the minerals may not be dislodged.

    You can pour pure rubbing alcohol or pure distilled water through it to try and clean it up and then dry it out and try again. I would suggest the alcohol as it dries most quickly but you can go either way.
    02-28-10 11:56 AM
  4. montage's Avatar
    Could be the phone is still ok but the battery is dead... only way to know for sure is to try another battery. Have seen various water damage scenarios with some being fine completely to others being DOA
    02-28-10 01:35 PM
  5. xforum142riidax's Avatar
    will i damage my phone if i try to just dry it then turn it on? or should i use the alcohol without trying to just dry it? thanks
    02-28-10 05:10 PM
  6. mcoaks's Avatar
    Try a different battery and put it in a sauna and it works, true storie i was down the gym went in the sauna and some guy was in there with his phone drying it, i said does it work and he was sayin his mate done the same thing and worked so he was tryin it, saw him a week later he said it worked some times would have a funny 5mins.
    02-28-10 05:20 PM
  7. snowindec9's Avatar
    the phone has already been damaged by not completely drying it before turning it on. i don't know how the alcohol will help you.
    02-28-10 05:46 PM
  8. kidRiot's Avatar
    You can take a shot, as you pour your favorite alcohol on it...Sounds like a nice momento.
    02-28-10 06:41 PM
  9. christopherp's Avatar
    The alcohol is for you. You may be one of the miraculous few who experience 'life after dunking' from your phone, but odds are it's dead, the broken record that spins in the background never gets listened to does it? "Thread Search Before Action."
    02-28-10 08:00 PM
  10. Radius's Avatar
    the phone has already been damaged by not completely drying it before turning it on. i don't know how the alcohol will help you.
    I don't think you see what's really going on here. Let me elaborate.

    Firstly the water enters the phone and the impurities then cause shorts all over the board, potentially. So pull the battery and you have half a chance.

    Now, what happens when you cause water to evaporate when it's surrounding, I don't know, a small picket fence on a model? The surface tension causes it to cling to the posts on the fence. Now you have pools of water with ever concentrating impurities stacking around the legs of sensitive electronic components and can potentially bridge the gaps very effectively.

    So you take out your trusty 100% rubbing alcohol and an ESD safe scrubbing brush and clean it up before turning it on thereby removing the collected impurities.
    03-01-10 09:50 AM
  11. xforum142riidax's Avatar
    I don't think you see what's really going on here. Let me elaborate.

    Firstly the water enters the phone and the impurities then cause shorts all over the board, potentially. So pull the battery and you have half a chance.

    Now, what happens when you cause water to evaporate when it's surrounding, I don't know, a small picket fence on a model? The surface tension causes it to cling to the posts on the fence. Now you have pools of water with ever concentrating impurities stacking around the legs of sensitive electronic components and can potentially bridge the gaps very effectively.

    So you take out your trusty 100% rubbing alcohol and an ESD safe scrubbing brush and clean it up before turning it on thereby removing the collected impurities.
    The phone has been drying for the last 2 days. however, i havnt used the rubbing alcohol. do you suggest trying the phone like is, and if it doesn't work then use the alcohol, or just use the alcohol now. thanks
    03-01-10 10:14 AM
  12. Radius's Avatar
    The phone has been drying for the last 2 days. however, i havnt used the rubbing alcohol. do you suggest trying the phone like is, and if it doesn't work then use the alcohol, or just use the alcohol now. thanks
    It's up to you, it may or may not work when you try. As for causing more damage that is uncertain also. Microelectronics don't just break a lot of the time, they get crippled. So you turn it on and it might work for a few weeks but after that, maybe not so well.

    Personally I'd strip it and clean it first and hope there has been no real damage so far.
    03-01-10 10:18 AM
  13. djackson02's Avatar
    ^ Likewise
    did you carry insurance on this device?
    03-01-10 11:01 AM
  14. buzzed's Avatar
    I think this link will cover everything you need to do, Radius is on the right track as well.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ht-way-318876/
    Goodluck
    03-01-10 07:23 PM
  15. Radius's Avatar
    The funny thing is as the circuit boards used to come off our assembly line, the first step in cleaning was to run them through a dish washer. Then we would follow up with alcohol.

    These days with better flux you just take it from the oven, swab it down with the alcohol and you're done. Much easier.
    03-01-10 07:39 PM
  16. mobil3gen's Avatar
    When I worked for a retail verizon store I had a customer come in and say they ran their BB through the dishwasher to clean it - while it was on (some people.....) they were coming in to complain that it was no longer working.... duhhh, but thats really interesting.
    03-01-10 08:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD