I signed up out of desperation just to post this. So recently, I dropped my blackberry Curve (8320) in water. Having a very basic knowledge of electronics, I knowingly and stupidly left the battery in when I realized it was still working and fine. The phone was in a Speck case at the time, don't know if any of you are familiar with it. Basically, it's a fairly strong, protective casing made of a hard plastic material. The phone hit the water for maybe 4 seconds before I yanked it out. Long story short, after leaving it on for about 15 minutes post dive, it shut itself off. At that moment I began to hate myself intensely. I figured it had to be fried. So I put a vacuum to it and left it out over night infront of a fan. The next day I put the battery in and prayed a little bit.. turned it on and it did the usual routine. I couldn't believe it. At first when I clicked the track ball it would type "hlhlhlhlhl" and when I hit the back arrow it would type "jijijji". I pulled the battery like a lunatic over and over and over until the track ball started to work again. It was a miracle. At this point I have everything working except the spacebar - which was working initially when the phone was turned back on post dive but has seemed to trade places with the trackball and back arrow .. not that I'm complaining. I'm wondering if this is an issue that will work itself out or if I should try to buy a new keypad from the BB repair website?

Fortunately, there is an IT guy at my job that would gladly diagnose it and attempt to repair/replace the keyboard. I am more than confident that he is capable of doing it. I just want to know if it has to cost 70 bucks. Also, I am wondering if there is anything I can do to prolong the life of my phone now that it has been water damaged. I've read in this forum that it is a "slow death". Say it aint so.

Can someone steer me in the right direction?
    Much_appreciated.
    12-08-08 08:05 PM
    You might have fried the board. The best thing to do with a water berry is to bull the bat immedatly and let it dry for at least a day with out the back cover and bat out. Not sure if there is anything else you can do. Sorry for your loss.

I had said bat in before I ment bat out. U cahanged it your bb needs as much air as possible. I have had phones survive water before but they need to dry a long while first.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by hooversalem9876; 12-08-08 at 09:04 PM.
    12-08-08 08:12 PM
    Your 2 biggest mistakes were leaving the phone on after the
    drop into water and not letting it dry out long enough. Overnight
    usually does not cut it. 3-5 days is more like it..

It is possible that some part of your circuitry got damaged by the
    water and by it being powered on.

You can buy a keyboard here for less than $20.
    12-08-08 08:16 PM
    I got my pearl wet and it did the same thing only my track ball didn't work. I didn't want to spend the 100 on an insurance claim so I delt with it. I continued to use the phone and everything was fine after about a month. It just isn't completely dry. You also need ti keep it away from moisture. If you can hold out you can spend no money. Good luck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-08 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD