Hey everybody,

My girlfriend has a BlackBerry Curve 8310 on at&t which I upgraded it to OS 4.5.099. She dropped it earlier today on accident, and now it keeps turning off about every 5-10 minutes. Is that kind of problem covered under warranty? Or is it manufacturer defects only? Plus, since I have upgraded her OS to a "beta", will they not except the phone because of that?

Thanks Alien.
    12-03-08 05:49 PM
    The warranty most likely will cover the drop issue. But since you have a non carrier OS, that is a void of the warranty. You should try putting on your carriers OS before you take it to the store.
    12-03-08 06:32 PM
    steven is correct about reverting to the original OS, but AT&T's
    warranty does not cover physical damage (i.e. drop damage).

Try reloading your OS or going back to the original and see if the
    problem persists. Also, do you have insurance?
    12-03-08 07:11 PM
    Yes as Steven and AG stated, revert back to the original OS but also clear your event log by going ALT & LGLG and clear log to erase any history of altering the BB.
    12-03-08 07:24 PM
    Yes as Steven and AG stated, revert back to the original OS but also clear your event log by going ALT & LGLG and clear log to erase any history of altering the BB.
    Thanks guys! Ok, but how do you know what to delete in the ALT & LGLG event log??
    12-03-08 07:49 PM
    Thanks guys! Ok, but how do you know what to delete in the ALT & LGLG event log??
    Just clear the entire log. Press menu and select clear.
    12-03-08 07:50 PM
    Clear everything. I should clarify this a little better so you dont get confused. While holding the ALT button, press LGLG then menu and clear log.
    12-03-08 07:52 PM
    Clear everything. I should clarify this a little better so you dont get confused. While holding the ALT button, press LGLG then menu and clear log.
    Ok thanks. And has at&t officially released OS 4.5 yet? Or are they still back in the 2.0's
    12-03-08 08:23 PM
    Ok thanks. And has at&t officially released OS 4.5 yet? Or are they still back in the 2.0's
    AT&T's last official release is 4.2.2.170
    12-03-08 08:25 PM
    AT&T's last official release is 4.2.2.170
    Man they're old school.
    12-03-08 08:40 PM
    I was on the phone with At&t two days ago to get my phone replaced for all sorts of error and before they transferred me over to warrantly dept they asked me if I'd upgarded my phone to the new 4.5 OS from the Blackberry site, I said that I had and they had me read off my version from Options/About. All was ok and "good" on their end.

However, I downgraded back to 4.2 and then went back to Blackberry to retry my upgrade and it only gave me the same 4.2 as I had.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-08 09:15 PM
    However, I downgraded back to 4.2 and then went back to Blackberry to retry my upgrade and it only gave me the same 4.2 as I had.
    When I did this I had to use JL_CMDER to completely wipe the phone, after that
    the upgrade took.
    12-03-08 09:46 PM
    Another question, do you think it is the OS 4.5.099 causing her phone to randomly turn off, or do you think it is the actual hardware in the phone causing this?
    12-03-08 10:04 PM
    Not really sure, but it is possible. That was why I suggested a
    different OS. If the problem is corrected, it was the OS. If not it
    was probably the drop. Those seem to be the only variables here.

What did she drop in on and how far a drop?
    12-03-08 10:16 PM

Well this is what she told me "I was putting it in my jacket pocket fast and let it go thinking it was in my pocket and i missed my pocket and it dropped to the floor! and i was like oh crap" ...."[it hit] kinda hard, it was a gym floor and it landed on the back."

Soo it doesn't really sound like it hit super hard, but enough to possibly do some damage. Could it be her battery?
    12-03-08 10:24 PM

Well this is what she told me "I was putting it in my jacket pocket fast and let it go thinking it was in my pocket and i missed my pocket and it dropped to the floor! and i was like oh crap" ...."[it hit] kinda hard, it was a gym floor and it landed on the back."

Soo it doesn't really sound like it hit super hard, but enough to possibly do some damage. Could it be her battery?
    12-03-08 10:24 PM
    Doubtful on the battery, but you could check to see if it is seats properly.
    12-03-08 10:30 PM
    Doubtful on the battery, but you could check to see if it is seats properly.
    Ok. I will have her check it tomorrow. One problem that makes this whole situation worse is that she lives in North Carolina and I live in northern Michigan. So I don't have direct access to her phone. So tomorrow I will guide her through the process to downgrade her Curve to OS 2.2 so and clear the log so that if the problem persists, we can take her phone into at&t and get it replaced.
    12-03-08 10:44 PM
    Again, and this needs to be repeated, if the drop caused this issue
    and you don't have insurance you are going to have a hard time.
    Warranty does not cover physical damage.
    Good luck and update the thread however it goes.
    12-03-08 11:14 PM
    Thank you, amazinglygraceless: I will try what you said.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-08 07:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD