Some of you may have heard of the "hidden" safety warning to never carry your cell phone in your pocket. The FCC allows RIM (and other manufacturers) to test the radiation levels of cell phones while the phone is held up to 1" away from the testing body. So, RIM doesn't test the emissions for the typical use of a phone being in a pocket while receiving texts or calls (because the phone would fail the test if they did!)

If you use or carry a cell phone in your pocket, you are being exposed to radio frequency emissions that exceed the FCC-allowed LEGAL safety limit. Bet you didn't know about this safety warning in spite of the fact that RIM is REQUIRED by the FCC to warn you.

Why is this a big deal?

As all you scientists out there know, just 1" distance from the body can reduce the radio frequency emissions by 16-fold! So, the microwave emission level while the phone is in your pocket (1/4" away from the body) is 16 times greater than when the phone is 1" away (as in a holster).

Pass this along to everyone you know, especially children, teens and young adults.

For more information, check out: labrat4sar.wordpress.com
    ench18 and tbelanger like this.
    12-06-10 08:30 PM
    That's the only place I carry my phone... Is
    In my pocket, I guess I shouldn't watch TV..
    Or use a microwave.. Or pretty
    Much do anything

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-10 08:32 PM
    This isn't really a BB specific warning. I think it would follow for all cell phones.
    12-06-10 08:34 PM
    probably not a good idea to put it up against my head then
    12-06-10 08:48 PM
    Oh noes!!! You may as well be playing Russian Roulette with a loaded firearm!!!11!!

We all have to die of something, right? This isn't even in my top 100 things that are likely to kill me...
    12-06-10 08:53 PM
    Big one or. Haha!

12-06-10 09:13 PM
    This would explain the sudden rash of pocket tumors and maybe your screen name...
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 12-06-10 at 09:22 PM.
    frogpants likes this.
    12-06-10 09:19 PM
    Yeah, I'm really worried about those two seconds a day when I receive a text or get a phone call while carrying the phone in my pocket. Well, actually not in my pocket, but on a holster near my body, which I'm sure receives the same alarming levels of radiation during those two seconds. Oh, and I moved from the mountains to sea level to reduce the level of background radiation, and I now cover my head with tin foil when going outside, too.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    12-06-10 10:07 PM
    Thanks for the info.
    12-06-10 11:40 PM
    Sounds like you're just trying to advertise your blog.
    howarmat likes this.
    12-07-10 12:00 AM
    not another radiation whacker.......

12-07-10 12:21 AM
    Sounds like you're just trying to advertise your blog.
    +1

Documentation specifically says 1" while using your device, not when it's idle. And if anyone's that worried about the side effects of using a cell phone, they should probably stop using one.
    12-07-10 12:23 AM
    not to mention he whined about this before.....do we really need more threads about it??

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/wher...berrys-401775/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/sar-...pocket-414929/
    12-07-10 12:25 AM
    not to mention he whined about this before.....do we really need more threads about it??

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/wher...berrys-401775/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/sar-...pocket-414929/
    So I was bored enough (or morbid curiosity) to go read those, begs the question: if he's SO worried about the radiation from cell phones why isn't he worried about us Bluetooth users? He said it himself - Bluetooth and WiFI use the 2.4ghz band. Gee, guess we need to go back to corded landlines because portable landline phones use high frequency bands too! So it would appear that cellphones are safer but then there's that pesky 1" problem - can't really use a cellphone if it has to be held in your hands, that's not 1" away - that's direct contact. And yet, my hands don't seem to have any indication that they're melting off.
    12-07-10 01:01 AM
    do people realize how much radiation is around us? radio traffic like police, fire, ems and anyone else using radios, thousands of microwaves (in home or radio towers/transmitters), the friggin sun and all other types of terrestrial radio waves and almost every electronic device. to complain and moan about a cellphone's output is moot in my opinion. its like someone going off about smoking, when there are plenty of other atmospheric gasses and pollutants we breath in everyday anyways.
    12-07-10 02:00 AM
    do people realize how much radiation is around us? radio traffic like police, fire, ems and anyone else using radios, thousands of microwaves (in home or radio towers/transmitters), the friggin sun and all other types of terrestrial radio waves and almost every electronic device. to complain and moan about a cellphone's output is moot in my opinion. its like someone going off about smoking, when there are plenty of other atmospheric gasses and pollutants we breath in everyday anyways.
    Exactly what I was thinking...what about all the wifi networks in cafes, business and homes that are running right now? Even those in rural areas have telephone towers and power lines...we're all f*cked, so we might as well enjoy our Blackberries
    12-07-10 04:58 AM
    Exactly what I was thinking...what about all the wifi networks in cafes, business and homes that are running right now? Even those in rural areas have telephone towers and power lines...we're all f*cked, so we might as well enjoy our Blackberries
    this guy has posted this garbage twice in the past. hes just trying to promote his blog.

its people like him that create unnecessary chaos among the general public. the kind of person who knocks on taxis windows at taxi stands and complaining that they are idling too long.
    12-07-10 05:08 AM
    I appreciate the info, thanks.
    12-07-10 05:41 AM
    I think I will take my chances.

12-07-10 05:53 AM
    I hardly ever carry my BlackBerry in my pocket and when I do I'm not using it. I think I'll be ok. Also I think holding my device for any type of use would be worse. Maybe I should buy some kind of remote for my Torch so I won't ever have to get near it lol
    12-07-10 06:16 AM
    That's the only place I carry my phone... Is
    In my pocket, I guess I shouldn't watch TV..
    Or use a microwave.. Or pretty
    Much do anything

Why yes, I have protection....my phone is in my pocket.....
    12-07-10 07:58 AM
    When I had my lotus,I had a weird sensation at the same spot on my left leg where I carried it.I had it in a pouch around my beltloop,no sensation with my bb although it is in the same pouch at same spot on my leg.

12-07-10 08:14 AM
    While i appreciate a warning like most people, this one is kinda dumb. I mean really? Cellphone radiation? What about the constant flow of preservatives and pesticides we put in our bodies, what about the crap we breath in constantly. You would probably die from getting struck by lightning while riding a camel in the desert before you would develop a tumor from your cell phone.
    12-07-10 08:42 AM
    You eat microwaved food, right? This kind of thing has been discussed for years. If you're not supposed to put it in your pocket then you shouldn't put it against your head!
    12-07-10 09:14 AM
    Or you can try a phone case from PONG RESEARCH. Google it as i cant post a link as my posts are less than 10.

Self-explanatory website.
    12-07-10 09:21 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD