WARNING: DO NOT PURCHASE MP3s from Yahoo! Music for ANY Blackberry !!!!

After purchasing their music and downloading their jukebox, which works pretty well, it is then time to transfer the MP3s through BB Media Manager, so far so good as the files transfer just fine and even appear on your computer fine and still play fine. BUT THEY WILL NOT PLAY ON YOUR BLACKBERRY and you will get an error message. Only after it is too late and you have purchased a bunch of useless files will you then discover (YAHOO! GIVES NO WARNING PRIOR TO PURCHASE) that if you have problems in getting it to play on your BB, THAT IT DOES NOT WORK WITH BB. In fact, they don't actually come out and say it does not work with BB, they make the following general statement

Yahoo! Music Unlimited burnable downloads can only be transferred to a Windows Media (WMA)-compatible device . You may see an error if you try to transfer WMA files to a non WMA-compatible player such as an iPod.

(Note: I would give the links for finding out more but this site won't let me)

Anyhow, you have been warned, Yahoo! Music is unfriendly to BBs.
    12-30-07 01:54 AM
    Most purchased music won't work on BB. you need "DRM free" (Digital Rights Management) music. My 300 song collection I bought from Real networks won't play either.
    12-30-07 08:03 AM
    You can try Limewire. I know it's not techbically "legal" so make sure you are using it at your own risk!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-07 08:42 AM
    I know this can be a pain in your wallet but its headache free (okay, just a tiny bit if you dont know what your doing) I usually open the songs up from the purchased CD'S and transfer it to the songs under Blackberry file under Drive (whatever drive your blackberry is found) Other than that, I dont have to tread the domain searching top to bottom for the right program to do the music conversion. I already did that for a video player and my wife has really chewed my **** out for being on the net too long.
    12-30-07 10:08 AM
    This is not just with Yahoo Music it is will ALL music with DRM including ITunes.

You have to use a program that removes DRM like Tunebite.

PS. Blackberry directly says it will not play DRM. BlackBerry Search Results

Do a little more research before you warn people about a product.
    Last edited by orle8050; 12-30-07 at 10:19 AM.
    12-30-07 10:15 AM
    A simple solution is to "burn" a cd of the DRM music, then transfer it back to your hard drive. It is like burning your purchased cd to the drive. True you will have two files, but one will play on anything.
    12-30-07 10:24 AM
    I used a program called "melodycan" to change all of my files purchased through rhapsody. It works very well but you have to pay for it. I have used the burn to CD then rip method before too on my old w800 but it is time consuming and you don't have as much luck getting the song info unless you really screw around with it.
    I recommend one of the file converters. Much easier. And the money you spend is worth the time you save, not to mention the blank CDs IMO. It CAN be done!
    12-30-07 12:29 PM
    I use music from my itunes that I use jhymn to remove the drm from ones that I purchased from itunes *won the free songs from a pepsi promotion* and I use bittorrent to get my music.

Charlie

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-07 01:53 PM
    For me best metod for fast download of new album is Google and rapidshare...

You can'tbelive how Google is efective in finding all you wanna...
    12-30-07 04:15 PM
    I use tuneCab for all my music

Works well for me no problems
    12-30-07 04:41 PM
    just get a drm remover program..
    12-30-07 07:19 PM
    Thanks to all who helpfully commented here (except the one who said that we shouldn't warn people about bad and dishonest products that do not integrate with BB and fail to warn people that they do not work with BB).

One thread here though is incorrect, and that is the notion that all MP3s sold come with some DRM preventing BB use. ALL AMAZON MP3s work fine. In addition, lots of others are proliferating, including some foreign companies, such as MP3Sale.ru, which I think calls for a list of MP3s that work, and those that do not.
    01-01-08 08:23 PM
    Thanks to all who helpfully commented here (except the one who said that we shouldn't warn people about bad and dishonest products that do not integrate with BB and fail to warn people that they do not work with BB).
    I did not state not warn about bad or dishonest products but Yahoo Music is not one of those. If you would have read some of the previous post, looked on Blackberry's website you would have known that you can't not play files with DRM. You have to convert the files before they will play. That has nothing to do with Yahoo being a bad product. Even if you look on Yahoo music help section, they don't list Blackberries at all as a compatible device.

I believe that you post was hasty. There is one thing to ask a question about features/services on a product and another to say " WARNING: DO NOT PURCHASE MP3s from Yahoo! Music for ANY Blackberry" Which indeed you can purchase MP3 from Yahoo you just need to convert same with ITunes.
    01-01-08 08:37 PM
    Yahoo! Music is certainly dishonest to not give a clear warning PRIOR TO PURCHASE AND DOWNLOAD that ITS PRODUCTS DO NOT WORK on the largest providers of portable music players (iPods) and smartphones (BBs) sold in the world. If this were any other product other than the fast changing world of technology formats, Yahoo! Music would be splashed on the front pages of newspapers. Can you imagine a car that can only drive on highways but not local roads, dishwashers that can't use the most widely used detergents, or software that can not work on Dell and HP computers? And these forums, if they are any use at all, have a duty to list those products implementing a DRM incompatible with BB.

(And, yes, I object to the tone and content of your message. For your info, there have been general talks about DRM, but nowhere is there a list here, and I think your only argument about being duplicative is pretty ridiculous given that more than half of the threads are somewhat duplicative to some extent).
    01-01-08 09:02 PM
    As to your first argument about Yahoo being dishonest by not clearing stating that it will not directly work, maybe there website is flawed but they can't possible list all of the devices made. Blackberry and other smartphones are not a large media player providers in the big scheme, so I do not see Yahoo listing them on their site. ITunes also makes no mention that their files won't directly work with Blackberry, either.

Nevertheless, Blackberry covers that issue up front and honest. So even if Yahoo specifically didn't say it. Blackberry did.

And again it is not Crackberry's webteam responsibility to provide a list of all possible compatible devices and software.

I do not have any issue with users asking questions, even over and over again but your post did not ask a question, not even one. You didn't ask for help how to make it work. It was complete statements without research.

I have assisted hundreds of users with duplicative issues and questions.

Just so you don't confuse my tone, ask a questions if you can't get something to work, want more information, or even need advice about what programs/services users prefer, stray away from making statements without research.
    01-01-08 09:23 PM
    Nice post, Orle8050.

And to backup Orle8050, that's what a forum is all about - asking questions and helping others.

There are MANY duplicate questions here (as well as other forums). There is no way around it (otherwise there wouldn't even be a forum if nobody asked a question).

Coming in and starting a 'rant' will immediately put most people on the defense (unless they agree with you).

In this case, a little more research would have avoided your irritation.....
    01-01-08 10:02 PM
    There you go Orle! I totally agree. Before I found Crackberry.com and i was doing alot of research and what I did, I tested Itunes, Zunes, and some of the video converter softwares for videos. None of them worked. I have spent almost 40 hours over the weeks researching and finally found what was suitable for me and what actually works. The last day i got done with my research, i have found crackberry.com and saw tips and tricks where I have wished I have found the website beforehand I went out on a limb. Sometimes it happens. First thing you should have checked is what is acceptable to BB then went on to find a suitable software that may have worked. That is what Crackberry.com is all about, getting people together from all over the world and discuss things that could have worked and what to stay away from. I totally agree that crackberry.com is not responsible for peoples mistakes. They were happy to bring people together as a unity. Thats all I have to say. Thanks
    01-01-08 10:28 PM
    People don't call Yahoo YAHELL for nothing. lol
    01-01-08 10:59 PM
    Look, orle8050, I do not think your comments are particularly instructive about anything and certainly not helpful. I purchased from Yahoo! Music and it is their job to warn when their product does not work on 90% of the portable music playing market. And Blackberry certainly does not even mention Yahoo! Music whatsoever, just mentioning DRM is a circular argument as it is the companies themselves (Yahoo! Music) that must warn that the DRM they have implemented keeps the software from playing on BB. And please note, that companies have changed their DRM policies, just as it appears that Zune is now implementing less restrictive DRM. The fact that in your example iTunes makes the same error (I will need to verify this because much of your analysis is incorrect) makes my point that a list needs to be made as to what works and what does not. Finally, I did not see where it says on this site that I must ask orle8050 for permission or her personal policy or review a specific question with her in order to post a warning. In my concluding response to you, I think the title of my post has been 100% verified and justified by your own statements as well as the others here.

The other comments from others are helpful and these should be consolidated in one place. This is a problem that will not go away and is likely to change frequently.
    Last edited by mdattorney; 01-02-08 at 02:09 AM.
    01-02-08 12:33 AM
    Kids... remember to play nice in here.
    01-02-08 01:20 PM
    Look, orle8050, I do not think your comments are particularly instructive about anything and certainly not helpful. I purchased from Yahoo! Music and it is their job to warn when their product does not work on 90% of the portable music playing market. And Blackberry certainly does not even mention Yahoo! Music whatsoever, just mentioning DRM is a circular argument as it is the companies themselves (Yahoo! Music) that must warn that the DRM they have implemented keeps the software from playing on BB. And please note, that companies have changed their DRM policies, just as it appears that Zune is now implementing less restrictive DRM. The fact that in your example iTunes makes the same error (I will need to verify this because much of your analysis is incorrect) makes my point that a list needs to be made as to what works and what does not. Finally, I did not see where it says on this site that I must ask orle8050 for permission or her personal policy or review a specific question with her in order to post a warning. In my concluding response to you, I think the title of my post has been 100% verified and justified by your own statements as well as the others here.

The other comments from others are helpful and these should be consolidated in one place. This is a problem that will not go away and is likely to change frequently.
    For the record, I'm not trying to keep this thread going just to start yet another internet confrontation. But, as a member to this forum, I do have a right to comment. I think by now, you're point on this issue is understood and well taken - whether we agree or disagree with you. I read your post and took it as intended - as a warning from someone that was P/O based on your perception the service from Yahoo. As far as the tone of other members responding to your post (or anyone else) on this "forum" is strictly a matter of interpreting someones' opinion. Exhale and release.....
    01-02-08 02:16 PM
    Note that I am doing like I said I would do and get some research on what works with a BB to end up with a list. I just received info from iTunes and will make a post. You will find that a previous poster (the one who said I shouldn't post this information) was entirely incorrect and that iTunes was being designed with BB in mind.
    01-04-08 12:24 AM
    try tunebite real easy program it just cost money though
    02-17-08 08:11 AM
    I buy AMAZON MP3s all the time and they work just fine.
    02-17-08 09:30 AM
    I downloaded a free 14 day trial of Protected Music Converter. I was able to convert 22 songs at one time, although it took awhile.

If you don't have a huge library of songs to convert and don't want to pay for a program, this is a nice alternative.
    02-17-08 02:45 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD