Yes I am seeking a lawsuit! This is what happened.

I was at work with my music playing threw the headphones that came with my Storm. Not wanting to damage the phone it was in my DRY pocket. Static built up causing multiple shocks coursing threw my headphones damaging both my ears. I dropped to the ground screaming like I was being tazered and spent half the day in the E.R. STILL suffering hearing loss as well as bad balance.

What if I was driving with my daughter, riding my bike or pumping gas!!!

I looked all over the web seeking others with the same problem. I guess I am the first and my guess is I am not going to be the last.

Please pass the word around!

[email protected]
    04-17-09 11:17 PM
    Wow, sorry to hear. Hope your hearing loss isn't permanent.
    04-17-09 11:48 PM
    I have never heard of this problem. Hopefully you will fully recover.
    04-17-09 11:51 PM
    i have experience this multiple times (although not so tragic) with my itouch that i used to own. The static build up would shock me through my apple headphones (all junk and purposfully junk to get you to buy more $30 headphones) but i just got really freaked out and kinda went into a shock mode were i was shaky but did not experience hearing loss (that i know of) never have i with my storm headphones thats one of the things that made me also upgrade to the jabra stereo bluetooth headphones. Not a problem.
    04-18-09 12:03 AM
    What if I was driving with my daughter,
    Why would you have on headphones while driving down the road. That I think
    is a bigger risk to your daughter than your minor jolt.
    04-18-09 12:11 AM
    Crazy! Never heard of that before. You'll be fine though. I've been shocked tons of times.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-09 12:14 AM
    Crazy! Never heard of that before. You'll be fine though. I've been shocked tons of times.

in the ear??

ha this is crazy, im glad i dont use those headphones i guess even though they are actually really good quality.......
    04-18-09 12:17 AM
    I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you. I'd be interested in knowing the results of your case, as it sounds like you slipped it in your pocket, and static built up from that, causing the shock. Perhaps something in the build of the storm (and the itouch too I suppose, according to sirtikalot) that attracts static electricity, all in all it sounds like a bad accident.

However it turns out, I hope your recovery is going well.

04-18-09 12:19 AM
    Wow that's crazy hope u win that suit

04-18-09 12:23 AM
    Holy crap!

04-18-09 12:23 AM
    This is truly shocking! Heh, get it? Sorry.

Hope you come out on top.
    04-18-09 12:25 AM
    You'll never make it to court. There's no way the Storm's battery/electronic circuits could produce the shock you're describing.
    04-18-09 12:32 AM
    Why would you have on headphones while driving down the road. That I think
    is a bigger risk to your daughter than your minor jolt.
    the law suit i believe would actually be thrown out if he had headphones on while driving. In IL I'm resonably sure its a no no and can result in a ticket
    04-18-09 04:39 AM
    Unless he play if off and say that he was on a phone call but that depends on what type of headphones he had on. It could be the headphones that can answer calls and listen to music
    04-18-09 04:45 AM
    You'll never make it to court. There's no way the Storm's battery/electronic circuits could produce the shock you're describing.
    Glad to see a sane response here, the story is so false. The O/P has one Post! They put the storm in their "dry" pocket as opposed to what? I call this story suspect
    04-18-09 05:14 AM
    So how are you going to show Neglect?? How are you going to prove injury? Your word against them.. You have no injury accept what you stated to the ER and they only could go on your word. Too funny..
    04-18-09 05:51 AM
    a body/clothes static charge doesnt carry enough volts or amps to really hurt you or damage organs.
    04-18-09 05:53 AM
    Glad to see a sane response here, the story is so false. The O/P has one Post! They put the storm in their "dry" pocket as opposed to what? I call this story suspect
    i think the dry reference was to the idea that his pocket wasnt wet and therefore he didnt cause the issue...either way...yea sounds suspect for sure

Also what is Electrution????
    04-18-09 06:02 AM
    The lawyers for Rim will eat you alive, unless you have OJ's original team. Static will not cause that much damage, not the way you described it but I think you wanted to have it on record that you were crying rolling around etc.
    Unless you have 10 witnesses backing you up and that is pushing it too, they will say stop putting your finger in the electrical outlet whilst listening to music.

04-18-09 07:21 AM
    I have to agree. If there was a staic buildup the first and easiest discharge path would be in the pocket or across the circuits of the phone. The OP's claim is clearly exaggerated.

Sounds like an attempt to extort money from RIM by making a fraudulent claim.
    04-18-09 07:26 AM
    ...I laughed.

Neither the device nor static electricity can produce the electric shock that this person is talking about. Also, the description of the event was like he/she had been tazered by the cops or something. Any static charge would happen so fast that it would be like static shock on your finger, definitely not enough tho throw a full grown person to the ground.

I call BS.
    04-18-09 07:26 AM
    I have had static shocks from my iPod Touch and Nano, and sorry but they were not like being tazered. Frivolous lawsuits for $100 Alex!

And I'm no lawyer but any lawyer worth their salt would use the "hearing loss is from repeated exposure to loud music through head phones" argument.

04-18-09 07:30 AM
    say it was an apple ipod - you will get more money ....lol
    04-18-09 07:38 AM
    1. The OP talks about using his DRY pocket making it sound like a damp or wet environment... Almost zero chance of static.
    2. O.P. Talks about the violent surge of electricity, and describes it similar to a Tazer which uses far larger batteries AND CAPACITORS to deliver its charge. I note a distinct lack of both items in BBs
    3. There is talk of hearing damage etc... But even if this was a true story, its lacking a few things
    - the likely discharge path would not be the headphones. Even if it did as the tale sort of describes, the "burns" from this would likely be 2nd and or 3rd degree burns. Not so fun in the inner ear
    - this voltage claimed to be delivered through the ears would destroy not just damage eardrums.
    - this voltage passed through the brain would also cause damage, likely removing all sense of common sense and logic (wait a minute... Maybe THAT'S what happened!) or his life altogether.

Hey O.P. Go to youtube. Look up Jeff foxworthy. Find his video called "here's your sign" cuz your lawyers would have told you to keep your mouth shut, not spread it on a public forum where people from ALL OVER the world read it

Last edited by dancing-bass; 04-18-09 at 08:03 AM.
    04-18-09 07:59 AM
    I have to agree. I will say, I have experienced the static shock from those headphones , which is one reason why I switched along with the fact that they sound crappy. It does feel REALLY weird getting shocked inside your ears, but there's no way that static buildup could cause the level of shock that the OP is complaining about. I mean really, dropped to your knees, ended up in the ER? REALLY??? I'd like to know after spending half the day in the ER, what was the result/diagnosis that the OP was discharged with? If the doctor was allowed, I'm sure he would have discharged you with a case of Extreme Drama-Queenery, and prescribed some Man-Up pills.
    04-18-09 08:03 AM
92 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD