I've checked everywhere with no luck, just years old posts. Since these posts are old and useless, maybe we can get an answer now. How can one stop the double clicking period that occurs automatically? I type quite a bit and its getting worse. It doesn't seem as if I am hitting the space bar on a double tap but apparently I do. Once I complete typing a paragraph, I proofread and see the whole page has periods where there shouldn't be and CAPS all over. I have to fix constantly. I had this feature in older versions and it worked flawlessly. Is there anyway to disable the double tap feature? I have the BB 9930....

Edit- As suggested, I checked my Key Rate and it was set to "Normal". I lowered it to the last option which is "Slow" and it seems to have helped the problem quite a bit. I still get the unwanted double tap period once in a while but it works much better. Thanks for the tip!
    Last edited by keyhole; 01-19-12 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Responses from group helped with issue
    01-19-12 04:52 PM
    Nope, you can't turn it off.

Have you tried adjusting your key rate though? Turning it down might help.
    keyhole likes this.
    01-19-12 05:14 PM
    It's an auto text feature, but damned if I can find it in the list to delete. I've never had that problem though, personally. Most complain they use a PC, and try double spacing.
    01-19-12 05:14 PM
    no possible way.
    01-19-12 05:16 PM
    ridesno159 +1 - sounds like the key repeat rate is set too high for your typing style. Try lowering it.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    tonyron227 and keyhole like this.
    01-19-12 08:09 PM
    Most complain they use a PC, and try double spacing.
    Haha I thought I was the only one that did this!
    01-19-12 08:11 PM
    I've checked everywhere with no luck, just years old posts. Since these posts are old and useless, maybe we can get an answer now. How can one stop the double clicking period that occurs automatically? I type quite a bit and its getting worse. It doesn't seem as if I am hitting the space bar on a double tap but apparently I do. Once I complete typing a paragraph, I proofread and see the whole page has periods where there shouldn't be and CAPS all over. I have to fix constantly. I had this feature in older versions and it worked flawlessly. Is there anyway to disable the double tap feature? I have the BB 9930....
    It's not only you, but this has been happening to me as well! It has been driving me crazy! The space bar is too sensitive. I just changed my key rate though so hopefully this will fix it.
    01-19-12 08:44 PM
    Haha I thought I was the only one that did this!
    and me too. I am going to try to turn the rate from normal to slow.
    01-19-12 08:52 PM
    I don't mind it at all. It's a feature for one-handed use.
    01-19-12 09:01 PM
    I never understood: What does the key rate even do? I think I have mine set for the highest possible one but I don't know what that does...
    01-19-12 09:43 PM
    One of those questions you hate to ask. I changed to slow and it cured it. Just not as fast as I thought.
    01-19-12 10:26 PM

Edit- As suggested, I checked my Key Rate and it was set to "Normal". I lowered it to the last option which is "Slow" and it seems to have helped the problem quite a bit. I still get the unwanted double tap period once in a while but it works much better. Thanks for the tip!
    Its not you its the 9930. This phone is soo laggy. I've watched myself type and KNOW I'm not making mistakes. I've watched myself hit letters,phone laggs then all of a sudden it capitalizes the letter I hit while it lagged. I've tried deleting apps and its obviously a problem with all these phones. My old storm used to do it too. Begining to hate blackberry 's because of it. What's the point of having a dedicated keyboard if the phone lags and mispells everything. OS 7.1 didn't fix the lag either. I posted this long paragraph just to let all you know that it ISN'T you making mistakes...its this crap 9930. And its sad that this is suposably one of best blackberry's at the moment.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-12 10:44 PM
    Key rate is how long you hold a key before it makes it a capital letter, or in the case of the space bar, a period. If it keeps making periods and you have capitals everywhere, then it may be set too high for your typing speed.
    01-19-12 11:31 PM
    Key rate is how long you hold a key before it makes it a capital letter, or in the case of the space bar, a period. If it keeps making periods and you have capitals everywhere, then it may be set too high for your typing speed.
    Sorry I meant the double tap interval. Mine is on 1000...what the heck does that mean?
    01-19-12 11:37 PM
    Its not you its the 9930. This phone is soo laggy. I've watched myself type and KNOW I'm not making mistakes. I've watched myself hit letters,phone laggs then all of a sudden it capitalizes the letter I hit while it lagged. I've tried deleting apps and its obviously a problem with all these phones. My old storm used to do it too. Begining to hate blackberry 's because of it. What's the point of having a dedicated keyboard if the phone lags and mispells everything. OS 7.1 didn't fix the lag either. I posted this long paragraph just to let all you know that it ISN'T you making mistakes...its this crap 9930. And its sad that this is suposably one of best blackberry's at the moment.

It's the Javascript that the ads are rendered in that is causing the lag. The ads cause allot of the lag on here, even I experience it mildly and I slow my typing just to get adjusted so I don't end up typing over anything. Just because your blackberry is laggy doesn't mean everybody elses is. If you don't like it, there's always the 30 day return policy or just reload the OS from scratch, or deal with it.
    brianstp likes this.
    01-19-12 11:46 PM
    Sorry I meant the double tap interval. Mine is on 1000...what the heck does that mean?
    It's the double tap interval for zooming in, it has nothing to do with the space bar.
    01-19-12 11:47 PM
    It's the double tap interval for zooming in, it has nothing to do with the space bar.
    How does lowering it and raising it change the zooming function?
    01-19-12 11:51 PM
    How does lowering it and raising it change the zooming function?
    It's like double clicking with the mouse on a computer. Adjust the time in ms between clicks. Ms=miliseconds.
    01-19-12 11:55 PM
    Makes no sense to try and get rid of a feature you cannot disable. If you don't like it, don't hit the spacebar twice. If you s don't like it, pluck the spacebar off and be done with it, but you'll then need to put it back on to use it.

Sum it up, it is a feature you cannot disable and it's been a feature since the first blackberry.
    03-02-12 02:02 PM
    Grasshopper, If one wishes to master something, one must learn how to "tweak" the options. Nearly everything in a Blackberry can be customized. A lot can be learned from experimenting with all the variables. Once you fine tune it to your preferences, it will be a much better interactive device.

When you can snatch the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.
    03-02-12 10:55 PM
    Thks is PB experience but I wonder it may be the same.
    If you select a suggested word (or if you enabled autosuggest/fill), do not hit space after since it's already there and will fire a dot.
    03-03-12 04:31 AM

I've owned a 8100, 8320, 8900 and 9700 and used a 9930 of my friends and NEVER experienced this in 4 years. Since you can't even utilize the spell check on your device i imagine, like most problems on all devices regardless of platform, it's a carbon based error.
    03-03-12 09:13 PM
    My issue is not only hitting the space bar twice on accident, but holding it down too long while typing. If I hold it down for too long on the first click it will put a period in for me. I have the key rate set at normal, but I think the main problem for me is just holding the space bar down while thinking about what I am typing.
    05-30-12 05:40 PM
    My issue is not only hitting the space bar twice on accident, but holding it down too long while typing. If I hold it down for too long on the first click it will put a period in for me. I have the key rate set at normal, but I think the main problem for me is just holding the space bar down while thinking about what I am typing.
    Who holds down the space bar while typing?
    05-30-12 05:59 PM
    Apparently I do when I am needing a space after a word.
    05-30-12 09:42 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD