I don't know if this has been posted, if so, feel free to lock the thread...

But if you're looking for how carrier IQ is getting onto your blackberry, here's the information you need.

Over on tmonews.com, some internal T-Mobile documents have been leaked and published. On this particular image:

T-Mobile Posts Internal And External Quick Guides For Carrier IQ Information carrieriq2wtmk

You can see that carrier IQ is actually being hidden in T-Mobile's "My Account" software. It launches automatically when the phone boots via an AEP. It was quite clever, to be honest, to hide something like that in a genuinely useful piece of carrier software.

You can block CIQ by denying permissions to the "My account" application. I'm sure the other carriers are using similar methods.

This does raise a very interesting question though: If the Carrier IQ software is just used for simple troubleshooting, and doesn't really collect anything it shouldn't, why are the carriers going to such lengths to hide it?
    Jake2826 likes this.
    12-02-11 05:03 PM
    Pretty sure it is the thread right under this one, lol!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    12-02-11 05:05 PM
    Interesting document to say the least. There is one particular item look at item 42. They are following up with the vendor on this. Are they saying RIM?
    12-02-11 05:09 PM
  4. T
    Check out point #18!
    12-02-11 05:28 PM
    I saw that......crazy you see the lists of BB that have it.....?
    12-02-11 05:30 PM
  6. T
    I saw that......crazy you see the lists of BB that have it.....?
    Where is that, please?
    12-02-11 05:35 PM
    Check out point #18!
    OH yeah, point 18.

I mean, if the software is just for network diagnostics and doesn't do any monitoring, why would business users be able to opt-out? I mean, wouldn't a business user have the greatest need for a reliable and stable network?

It's very, very suspicious.
    12-02-11 05:38 PM
    You can see that carrier IQ is actually being hidden in T-Mobile's "My Account" software. It launches automatically when the phone boots via an AEP. It was quite clever, to be honest, to hide something like that in a genuinely useful piece of carrier software.

You can block CIQ by denying permissions to the "My account" application. I'm sure the other carriers are using similar methods.
    This "My Account" is a T-Mo bloatware App or?

Considering how many people load OS's that aren't even from their own carrier, shrink OS's or use hybrids, I really dont think too many people should be worried about this.
    12-02-11 05:38 PM
    This "My Account" is a T-Mo bloatware App or?
    Oh, that's the insidious part of this.

"My Account" is genuinely useful. It allows you to pay your bill, see your monthly usage, download device documentation, and so on. It's actually something people would want to have and keep, which is probably why they bundled CIQ into there.

If the other carriers follow suit, they'd probably bundle CIQ into the most useful apps they preload. I mean, that does make a lot of sense (in an evil way).
    12-02-11 05:41 PM

"My Account" is genuinely useful. It allows you to pay your bill, see your monthly usage, download device documentation, and so on. It's actually something people would want to have and keep, which is probably why they bundled CIQ into there.

If the other carriers follow suit, they'd probably bundle CIQ into the most useful apps they preload. I mean, that does make a lot of sense (in an evil way).
    What kind of permission is the App asking for? I wonder if you could block most of them that Carrier IQ would use and still use the App as you wish?
    12-02-11 05:43 PM
    What kind of permission is the App asking for? I wonder if you could block most of them that Carrier IQ would use and still use the App as you wish?
    Someone would have to check the app.

The support document states that if permissions are denied to the application, monitoring will not work. OF course, the app probably won't work either, but I'd deal with it.
    12-02-11 05:46 PM
  12. T

I see you're on Sprint. Could you please take a look and speculate as to where it might be on Sprint devices? I'm looking at Application modules, and I have no idea where to go or what to deny permission to ...
    12-02-11 05:47 PM
    I see you're on Sprint. Could you please take a look and speculate as to where it might be on Sprint devices? I'm looking at Application modules, and I have no idea where to go or what to deny permission to ...
    Actually, I've since switched over to T-Mo.

But the easiest way to tell would be to look at the stuff that Sprint pushes down, and see what's set to Auto Start. If something's set to that, and it doesn't need to be, that's a huge clue.
    12-02-11 05:58 PM
  14. T
    Actually, I've since switched over to T-Mo.

But the easiest way to tell would be to look at the stuff that Sprint pushes down, and see what's set to Auto Start. If something's set to that, and it doesn't need to be, that's a huge clue.
    Thanks again. How do I check to see what's set to autostart?
    12-02-11 06:02 PM
    Thanks again. How do I check to see what's set to autostart?
    Settings -> Applications, and then you have to enter and look at each application.
    12-02-11 06:20 PM
  16. T
    ^Thank you!
    12-02-11 06:24 PM
    Tonis line 42 BB 9900 and a couple more.

Sent from my MD276LL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 12-02-11 at 07:51 PM.
    12-02-11 07:45 PM
    Figures, an app I use all the time. ....nice!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    12-02-11 07:46 PM
    Thanks for the info!

Because T-Mobile hid it within their own app, does this bypass any type of restrictions RIM may have put on them regarding this app? Anyway, it's very suspicious that they go to such great lengths to hide this program, whether it may be from the end-user or the OEMs, it doesn't matter. If an app like this really had a benign purpose, why go to such great lengths to keep it concealed and strip away any capability it has to notify the end-user of its presence?
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 12-02-11 at 08:36 PM.
    12-02-11 08:33 PM
    Anyone figured out a way to purge this app from the device without running a hybrid? Ordinarily I wouldn't even consider a hybrid, but I don't like the whole principle of this app or the fact that T-Mobile thinks that running spyware on my phone is acceptable.
    12-02-11 08:34 PM
    Even though I dont even use it, is there a way to just remove it from the phone. Seeing it just creeps me out and I don't even want to know it's still there on my phone
    12-02-11 08:38 PM
  22. T
    Anyone figured out a way to purge this app from the device without running a hybrid? Ordinarily I wouldn't even consider a hybrid, but I don't like the whole principle of this app or the fact that T-Mobile thinks that running spyware on my phone is acceptable.
    Seems it's buried in "My Account." Why not just reload your OS and not install/enable/use that app?
    12-02-11 08:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD