Hello everyone!

OK I have done a ton of reading and research about BB's online and talking to people and I am so confused I don�t know where to start. I am currently going to be a senior this year in college and I want to get a BB. Right now i am on a Verizon family plan. I can not afford to get a data plan so here are my questions.

The phone I have now is an LG Verizon (I forget the model number). But I was able to change the proxy address and settings to get free internet. When I used the internet Verizon did not charge me any connection fees but it did however use my minutes unless I used it on nights and weekends then it was free.

My questions are:

PART 1
    Like i said i can not afford a data plan. If I get a BB (one of the new models not sure yet) will I be able to access the internet using one of the online tutorials that show you how to set up your BB for wifi whether its my schools wifi or my home wifi? If yes will Verizon charge me data usage or will it use any of my minuets? And if so will I get free nights and weekends or something like that? And will I be able to check my email and surf the web, I heard you have to download software for your BB to be able to do this when using wifi

PART 2
    Lastly on my old phone, I was able to check my email using a proxy server almost anywhere I had service. It was not reliably and it kicked out all the time, but I was able to use it and be online almost anywhere which was nice. Will I be able to do something like this on a BB, without getting a data plan? And will it cost me money for data usage or will it use my minutes?

I keep getting different answer to these questions. I really want to change phones but I do not want to get a $200 plus BB when it turns out I won�t be able to use wifi for free. I want to be 100% sure

Thank you for your time everyone!
    08-05-08 01:04 PM
    A little glitch in your scheme - Verizon doesn't use wifi.
    08-05-08 01:06 PM
    i heard that too but i dont get that? the verizxon phones wont let u pick up wifi even if you change the settings? What about an unlocked phone?
    08-05-08 01:09 PM
    The sausage king is correct. You don't have wifi with Verizon Blackberries. You have GPS. It isn't a matter of changing settings or getting the right software. There is no wifi receiver in the VZW blackberries. It is physically impossible to use a verizon blackberry to utilize a wifi network. End of story.

And you MUST get a Data plan with a VZW BB. No way around it. You cannot activate it unless you purchase a data plan.
    Last edited by adambigge; 08-05-08 at 01:13 PM.
    08-05-08 01:10 PM
    this is all true and i must say i like ur screenname lol. as for as going through a proxy, i dont believe you can on the bb's browser.
    08-05-08 01:12 PM
    "Unlocking" usually refers to SIM-card based phones (which Verizon phones are not).

I'm bowing out at this point - I'll let you continue on with your quest. I'll refer you to your local jurisdiction's laws on "theft of services".

I'm outie.
    08-05-08 01:13 PM
    yea i heard mix things about that thank you guys for making it final. But if i had something other than verizon what would be the answer to PART 1 in my 1st post

Thanks guyts for helping me out
    08-05-08 01:15 PM
    i heard that too but i dont get that? the verizxon phones wont let u pick up wifi even if you change the settings? What about an unlocked phone?
    An unocked WIFI enabled BB won't do you any good since it will be a GSM based unit. Verizon uses CDMA. Completely different protocol. Won't work on VZW's network unfortunately.

Your best bet is to try out a BB for another provider if you really want the wifi. If you are locked into Verizon's service then you can try out a BB with the appropriate 29.99 data plan and just see how you like it. You may decide that the extra few bucks a month is worth it..........
    08-05-08 01:18 PM
    Is there any service provider that lets you use wifi? for free
    08-05-08 01:22 PM
    An unocked WIFI enabled BB won't do you any good since it will be a GSM based unit. Verizon uses CDMA. Completely different protocol. Won't work on VZW's network unfortunately.

Your best bet is to try out a BB for another provider if you really want the wifi. If you are locked into Verizon's service then you can try out a BB with the appropriate 29.99 data plan and just see how you like it. You may decide that the extra few bucks a month is worth it..........
    it seems att is a more sensible solution for what you want they are gsm's on the curves, and they use sim cards meaning the phone could be unlocked.
    08-05-08 01:23 PM
    ok thanks for helping me out I thought there was a way to access wifi for free i didnt know you had to get a data plan just for wifi.

thanks again for your help
    08-05-08 01:42 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

There is one BlackBerry that will meet your needs:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry 8820

The BlackBerry� 8820 smartphone is the stylish way to get things done. With powerful capabilities, yet incredibly compact and slim, it combines a stylish design with a premium finish. Elegant and performance-driven, this is a smartphone you'll always want to show off.

The BlackBerry 8820 is packed with powerful features*, including phone, email, built-in GPS, Wi-Fi support, maps, browser, instant messaging, organizer, media player and more – all in one stylish smartphone.
    It is CDMA capable and does include Wifi.

If you choose to restrict the data plan, you can use the Wifi connection and Browser.

Browser is very capable, particularly in the later OS revisions.
    08-05-08 02:54 PM
    NIB Blackberry 8820 for AT&T-Brand new, never used - eBay (item 160268866028 end time Aug-05-08 16:42:23 PDT)

eBay seller offering a new, unlocked 8820 for $300.

Keep in mind, this model does not include the camera.
    08-05-08 03:00 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

There is one BlackBerry that will meet your needs:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry 8820

It is CDMA capable and does include Wifi.

If you choose to restrict the data plan, you can use the Wifi connection and Browser.

Browser is very capable, particularly in the later OS revisions.
    No offense, but the 8820 is GSM, not CDMA. Didn't want the OP to be confused.
    Last edited by paulrosenthal; 08-05-08 at 04:22 PM.
    08-05-08 04:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD