if i was you i would look at getting a used 9900 on ebay for about 250 then you could get a sim only deal on any of the uk carriers and that would save you a bunch of cash therefore saving your upgrade for a bb10 phone in January.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    How does Sim only work, never heard of it before?
    07-19-12 04:25 PM
    lee its very easy any of The carriers offer a sim only deal which is basically a phone talk and data plan without a new phone these are either 12 months long or pay as you go all are a fit for BlackBerry phones you just need to make sure that the data plan for bis is included in any deal you get the last time i looked you could get all in talk text and bb plan on o2 pay as you go for bb for 12 pounds a month this then gives you freedom to get any model of phone you like and also you can stop a pay as you go plan without any notice period

07-19-12 05:06 PM
    sorry meant to say you could also pick up a nearly new 9790 for 150 on ebay or similar 9360 for 120 pounds if you dont want to spend too much they might be very good for you . i would definitely save your upgrade for a bb10 phone next year

07-19-12 05:11 PM
    lee its very easy any of The carriers offer a sim only deal which is basically a phone talk and data plan without a new phone these are either 12 months long or pay as you go all are a fit for BlackBerry phones you just need to make sure that the data plan for bis is included in any deal you get the last time i looked you could get all in talk text and bb plan on o2 pay as you go for bb for 12 pounds a month this then gives you freedom to get any model of phone you like and also you can stop a pay as you go plan without any notice period

What does this mean (BIS?), and I can either get a 12 month contract or PAYG?
    Last edited by Lee Taylor 1982; 07-19-12 at 05:24 PM.
    07-19-12 05:20 PM
    Ok I'm gonna go lower end market for now, is there a big difference apart from the camera between the 9320 and 9360, the difference is �60 in the UK
    Well, the 9360 has a better camera, NFC and a higher resolution (480x360). Especially the latter one might be tempting, the higher resolution means a sharper display. If you want NFC or don't is something you'll need to know. If you'd like to switch over to a BB10 device later, you might want till then for NFC.

In terms of hardware the 9320 seems the same, actually the 9320 has huge advantage:
    1450mAH battery.
    Compare this with the 1000mAH battery which powers the 9360 you'll get a whopping 45% more juice with the cheaper one. At least for myself, this would be a huge PRO for the cheaper Curve.

If I would have to choose between these two models, I'd most likely go for the 9320. Reasons are the mentioned battery power, the cheaper price tag and similar hardware specs.
    07-19-12 05:42 PM
    Well, the 9360 has a better camera, NFC and a higher resolution (480x360). Especially the latter one might be tempting, the higher resolution means a sharper display. If you want NFC or don't is something you'll need to know. If you'd like to switch over to a BB10 device later, you might want till then for NFC.

In terms of hardware the 9320 seems the same, actually the 9320 has huge advantage:
    1450mAH battery.
    Compare this with the 1000mAH battery which powers the 9360 you'll get a whopping 45% more juice with the cheaper one. At least for myself, this would be a huge PRO for the cheaper Curve.

If I would have to choose between these two models, I'd most likely go for the 9320. Reasons are the mentioned battery power, the cheaper price tag and similar hardware specs.
    Thanks for your input, I don't think I need NFC (Near Field Communication, and I don't really know what it is). I agree the 9360's features are really nice, the main reason for me would be the look.

I think the look of the 9360 is so much better than the 9320, I don't like the silver outline on the 9320 and unfortunately I don't think there are any other colours in the UK, even though I've seen other colours on websites.
    07-19-12 05:48 PM
    Thanks for your input, I don't think I need NFC (Near Field Communication, and I don't really know what it is). I agree the 9360's features are really nice, the main reason for me would be the look.

I think the look of the 9360 is so much better than the 9320, I don't like the silver outline on the 9320 and unfortunately I don't think there are any other colours in the UK, even though I've seen other colours on websites.
    Well at least here in germany the 9320 is officially only available in "black", while the 9360 comes in either "black" or "white". I too prefer the sleek design of the 9360 Curve, however the battery life of the cheaper one is too tempting.

As for BIS:
    BIS stands for Blackberry Internet Service, which basicly is the way a BB communicates with the internet. Using a Blackberry without BIS usually means it gets downgraded to a classic phone which can only make calls and send texts. Most large carriers provide those Blackberry options. I heard in the UK you'll mostly get complete packages, even with pay as you go. So if you go a package, you won't need to worry about anything. If you'll buy the device alone and use it with a new/existing contract, you'll might want to check back with your carrier if he offers a BB option.
    Last edited by Taigatrommel; 07-19-12 at 05:59 PM.
    07-19-12 05:56 PM
    Well at least here in germany the 9320 is officially only available in "black", while the 9360 comes in either "black" or "white". I too prefer the sleek design of the 9360 Curve, however the battery life of the cheaper one is too tempting.

As for BIS:
    BIS stands for Blackberry Internet Service, which basicly is the way a BB communicates with the internet. Using a Blackberry without BIS usually means it gets downgraded to a classic phone which can only make calls and send texts. Most large carriers provide those Blackberry options. I heard in the UK you'll mostly get complete packages, even with pay as you go. So if you go a package, you won't need to worry about anything. If you'll buy the device alone and use it with a new/existing contract, you'll might want to check back with your carrier if he offers a BB option.
    Yeah some providers have BBM on PAYG, I just dunno which phone to get really, the feedback here looks positive for RIM and at the end of the day you can't really say what's going to happen, so I guess it's just down to that. I suppose I could get a 9320 and just get a cover for it, but I'm not too sure.

When BB10 with the 10.0 software, the 7.1 software will still be supported, but out of date I guess?
    07-19-12 06:06 PM
    Yes but if you get a 9320 for what $100 right now? In six months I don't think you would mind getting a new contract on a new BB10 devise. How much would you really lose if you sell it then if anything?
    07-19-12 06:14 PM
    Yes but if you get a 9320 for what $100 right now? In six months I don't think you would mind getting a new contract on a new BB10 devise. How much would you really lose if you sell it then if anything?
    Thing is I'm not really a big user of phones like others are, so would it be worth me getting a BB10.
    07-19-12 06:28 PM
    Only you can decide something like that. If all you want is a phone with a good keyboard, great IM apps and twitter, you should be very happy with a 9320. Especially since the battery is so big and powerful as noted above.
    07-19-12 06:31 PM
    Only you can decide something like that. If all you want is a phone with a good keyboard, great IM apps and twitter, you should be very happy with a 9320. Especially since the battery is so big and powerful as noted above.
    Ok, thank you for your feedback. Do you think the BB10 software will be a massive improvement on 7.1, or will 7.1 still be relatively good.
    amjass12 likes this.
    07-19-12 06:40 PM
    The bold 9900 is a great phone. I haven't learn all the tricks and tips, but I'm having a blast with it.
    Last edited by njasmine; 07-19-12 at 08:05 PM.
    07-19-12 08:00 PM
    Ok, thank you for your feedback. Do you think the BB10 software will be a massive improvement on 7.1, or will 7.1 still be relatively good.
    First, RIM said directly they'll still going to support the 7.1 branch. They've stated that multiple times, even CEO Thorsten Heins said this. I also wouldn't worry about RIM fading away before OS10 hits. Actually if my Bold 9900 gets broken somehow, I'd definatly buy a new one any day. Having said this you'd like to keep in mind that Bold is a bit heavier investment than both Curves.

OS10 will take the Blackberry experience to a new level, that OS is basicly brand new and completely built from scratch. It will be more modern and powerful than 7.1. However like all radically new OS versions everyone has to decide for themselves if the new stuff is any good. I remember back the old Windows Mobile 6.x days where the user base waited for the brand new Windows Phone 7, when it finally arrived, most were disappointed because it turned out in a way the WinMo user base didn't expect. I am also excited for OS10, but I am also skeptical how it will turn out for my needs in the end.

That sums it pretty much up. You should know what you need this phone for. You should know what that phone should be able to do to suite your needs, priorize some stuff you just need to have. That is basicly what I'm doing before buying a phone.
    For example a physical QWERTY keyboard is the top number one priority for me. It is something I just don't want to miss, so every phone which doesn't have one, gets ruled out in the first place. Second thing would be efficiency, I don't care for any eyecandy in the OS, I want to get things done - one of the reasons I ended up with the Bold 9900. Something I don't care too much for example would be swappable memory. I don't really need an SD-slot if the in-built memory is sufficient (~16 GB) enough.

You already said you mostly care about texting and communication. Good thing. You know the two devices you'd like to choose from. Now you can sort the other stuff out. How important is web browsing? Taking pictures and videos? What about battery life, is it okay for you to maybe charge twice a day (on really heavy usage) or carry an additional battery with you? What about style and design, I know quite a few people where function simply follows form and a nice looking shell is a very important thing.
    Last edited by Taigatrommel; 07-20-12 at 01:49 AM.
    07-20-12 01:46 AM
    I would refrain from getting a contract of 2 years as bb10 comes out in 6 months and you'll be kicking yourself for having to wait another year and ah half unless you can afford to buy a 500 pounds phone.. Buy the cheap curve (which is os 7.1 anyway) and get a sim only deal which is much cheaper than 30 pounds but will likely give you the same deal if not more!!
    07-20-12 10:10 AM
    Thing is I'm not really a big user of phones like others are, so would it be worth me getting a BB10.
    If you're willing to spend 30 pounds on a contract you might as well get the best phone regardless of what you use it for... And while the 9900 is the best right now, bb10 will blow it out of the water (along with the competition imo) very soon... So I'd wait
    07-20-12 10:14 AM
    Whilst accepting that Blackberry is struggling in North America don't forget that it is still the market leader in much of South America and the Asian sub-continent - which are huge markets (just back from India and Sri Lanka where the BB is still the most sought after)
    Even if the BB10 fails to revive Rim's flagging fortune then there would be no shortage of buyers looking to acquire the Rim rights and software. So i would not be put off from taking out a new BB contract
    The Bold 9900 is a great phone and does everything I need but my contract runs out in December and I'll probably wait to see what the BB10 is like before i renew. If you can i suggest you look for a 12 month contract in case you find you like the BB10 even more but are stuck with a long wait before the Bold 9900 contract runs out
    07-20-12 11:39 AM
    I really wouldnt recommend getting a bb on contract right now, pretty soon bb10 will come out and you will be stuck with last years tech...if you dont care about bb10 then go ahead its a good phone
    07-21-12 12:18 AM
    I have always been an early adopter of new OS or new devices, but I would hold back my horses when it comes to BB10. I just got a new 9900, and the reason I got it was just to tie me over from now until BB10 is really stable (after a few updates or so).

Get the 9900, which is in itself a great and amazing device, and wait for BB10 to launch and stabilize.
    07-21-12 01:27 AM
    Buy iPhone or Android. They are better. BB is dying unless B10 do something. Trust me on this. The only BB is good is BBM. Other than that it's a dead boring phone. iPhone Android are more user friendly and interactive.

07-21-12 01:32 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD