For my search, if "google text" wasn't in the title then too bad

==> Mobile <==

A very few samples

Search Feature ...Sample Query

Local ................sushi 94040

Weather ............weather boston (or use the zipcode, airport identifier works also lol )

Translation .........translate hello in french

Airports .............. sfo airport

METAR..................metar khio

For example:

send SMS message to GOOGLE (466453)

"6000 mph in furlongs per fortnight"

don't use the quotes.

you get a text message back showing:

Calculator:
    6000 mph = 16128000 furlongs per fortnight

I tried "6000 mph in mach number" and other versions of that but it kept coming back:

Sorry, did you mean .......

and several options show

lol

You can get pretty creative.

Last edited by danpass; 06-08-08 at 08:27 AM.
    06-08-08 08:24 AM
    That's just a waste of text messages. We all have data plans so why not just navigate to google.com and do a normal search?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-08 12:04 PM
    Suit yourself

06-08-08 12:16 PM
    Sending a text message and recieving an answer will be faster than navigating to google, typing your search and loading the results, then having to load a page with the answer. It's not even a close match, this is much more useful.

Thanks Dan!
    06-08-08 12:19 PM
    sure

the text response is immediate too
    06-08-08 01:00 PM
    That's just a waste of text messages. We all have data plans so why not just navigate to google.com and do a normal search?

If you have a BB data plan, Im pretty sure you have unlimited text messages (Sprint does), so technically it's not a waste, plus it is a lot faster.
    06-08-08 01:11 PM
    Google is my homepage, so it is much faster for me to go on the browser. But then again, getting a text message on your bb does make you seem important

06-08-08 01:30 PM
    Sending a text message and recieving an answer will be faster than navigating to google, typing your search and loading the results, then having to load a page with the answer. It's not even a close match, this is much more useful.

Thanks Dan!
    Just tried it for weather & my zip; results were instant. Then I did Starbucks & zip; results were also instant, BUT, gave me every Starbucks EXCEPT the one nearest me.
    06-08-08 01:50 PM
    I think this is a great way of getting instant results. Sometimes it's off by a bit, but it doesn't really matter. I don't use it much, but when I do, it's great.
    06-08-08 01:53 PM
    interest bump
    06-18-08 10:17 AM
    Something even better. Use Chacha, 242 242. You can SMS them any question and they will send you the answer back. I mean ANY question. They have real people who will look up the answers for you and send them to you. you can check it out at www.chacha.com
    06-18-08 10:28 AM
    Dan, just tried it. Too Cool!! Thanks
    06-18-08 10:35 AM
    If you have a BB data plan, Im pretty sure you have unlimited text messages (Sprint does), so technically it's not a waste, plus it is a lot faster.
    Also, you may not always be in an area that has data services available. In which case the only option would be to use text message.
    06-18-08 10:52 AM
    The GoogleSMS is amazing!! I love it for a few reasons (speed, txt, simple)

I use the Weather and Sports the most!!

You can even set a default location so you do not have to put the zip for the area you live in... nice tip

Other features include stocks, translation, directions, residential phonebook (if they have their number listed)... etc

I might have to check out that ChaCha... seems cool!!

Does anyone know of any other similar, text based services like GoogleSMS?!?!
    06-18-08 10:57 AM
    I know this thread is old but I just found this out today and thought I would bump it for all the new crackberry members. It is a great feature especially if you have unlimited text. The number is 466453 FYI.

09-13-09 05:53 PM
    Actually, this is nice. I never knew about Google text. And, it's free unlike other services where you pay for an answer
    09-13-09 06:01 PM
    Great find!
    09-13-09 06:21 PM
    I use it for quick searches but now there are some nice apps that do more.
    09-13-09 06:35 PM
    Someone dug up a useful old gem.
    09-13-09 07:25 PM
    I use it for quick searches but now there are some nice apps that do more.
    True, on a blackberry there are a lot of options but not everyone has a bb and everyone (well almost) has sms. Despite the apps and browser this is very fast and very convenient, you can ask pretty much anything and get an response. It does local search, weather, traffic, sport scores, definitions, math calculations, unit conversions, movie times, pretty much anything you can think. I have been messing with it all day and I must say on the run it is a extremely convenient feature.

09-13-09 07:48 PM
    I LOVE GOOGLE TEXT

I usually use it for phone numbers because I'm bad at finding them via google.com and it really is faster. I try to tell people about it but no one listens to me.. It's also useful for getting movie times

did not know it did translations, however. Thanks for that!
    09-13-09 08:20 PM
    OMG, this is great! Thanks for reviving this thread!!!
    09-13-09 10:20 PM
    Yep, been using this since it came out. Usually very accurate, and very, VERY fast. Most of my responses come back in less than five seconds!
    09-13-09 11:06 PM
    Yea google text is pretty fast and convenient IMO...

09-14-09 12:04 AM
    Okay so sense I have found this I have been playing around a lot. A very cool feature is the price check. For example type "price *your project* " returns three of the most commonly found prices. Take the Blackberry Tour, type "price blackberry Tour" and you get these "(1/2)Products:
    * BlackBerry Tour 9630 Phone, Black (Verizon Wireless) - $49.99 , Amazon.com
    * BlackBerry Tour 9630 Phone, Black (Verizon Wireless, Phon... - (2/2)$499.99 , Amazon.com
    * BlackBerry Tour 9630 Phone, Black (Sprint) - $199.99 , Amazon.com

Tip: get zip code mapping; send HELP ZIP CODE to learn more."

Very cool and another in a long line of things sms google can do, how I never knew about this till yesterday is beyond me.

09-14-09 11:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD