Totally agree, it is a service they provide and the deserve to be reimbursed for that service.

This issue I am taking with it is: That 2.8% is also forced off on me for almost EVERYTHING I buy. When I go into a store and buy the same loaf of bread with cash, I am not given the opportunity to pay 2.8% less than the guy behind me that uses a CC. The same can be said for my municipal utilities, auto insurance and so on.

It is a crap system. And CC users are driving costs up for us that choose not to use them.

So ultimately, the reason why I replied to the other poster on why I prefer Direct Account transactions and cash over CC stands and I support any business trying to do the same.
    Understood, it's just that a cash only system can't keep up anymore. The world is too large and the transactions too enormous.

Whether it's a perfect system or not is certainly debatable though.

Posted from my mighty Her-Q-les!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-18-15 07:48 PM
    Understood, it's just that a cash only system can't keep up anymore. The world is too large and the transactions too enormous.

Whether it's a perfect system or not is certainly debatable though.

Posted from my mighty Her-Q-les!
    Don't knock cash, it's still anonymous and secure. No hacking involved if you use paper, lol.

I personally am still a "Cash is King" kind of person. Last year a friend of mine was working on a doctorate paper about online privacy et al and I learned about how Insurance Companies are using easily accessible online info about their customers to build profiles (and subsequently raise rates based on what they learned). And it scared the living you-know-what out of me, lol.

TLDR; be careful about your digital purchases and online behaviour these days as it might come back and bite you on the arse! And by Arse, I mean WALLET.
    07-19-15 12:29 AM
    Don't knock cash, it's still anonymous and secure. No hacking involved if you use paper, lol.

I personally am still a "Cash is King" kind of person. Last year a friend of mine was working on a doctorate paper about online privacy et al and I learned about how Insurance Companies are using easily accessible online info about their customers to build profiles (and subsequently raise rates based on what they learned). And it scared the living you-know-what out of me, lol.

TLDR; be careful about your digital purchases and online behaviour these days as it might come back and bite you on the arse! And by Arse, I mean WALLET.
    Not knocking cash though I rarely use it these days. It is certainly more safe than a CC.
    If you look at the number of transactions every day I don't see a real issue with safety. It comes down to the consumer being smart.
    The biggest problem I see is debt. With cash you cannot spend more than you have while some people think a CC is a free gold mine. But again, let me repeat, I am not knocking cash.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    07-19-15 08:02 AM
    OK so Department of State and OPM were both hacked, the OPM losing millions of SSN, and both use BlackBerry. So how do we apply the horrible, simpleton logic in this thread to those situations?

Posted via Z30
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    07-19-15 08:18 AM
    OK so Department of State and OPM were both hacked, the OPM losing millions of SSN, and both use BlackBerry. So how do we apply the horrible, simpleton logic in this thread to those situations?

Posted via Z30
    The world is what it is today and nothing can bring total security except maybe taking a rocket to Pluto and living by yourself.
    donnation likes this.
    07-19-15 08:38 AM
    The world is what it is today and nothing can bring total security except maybe taking a rocket to Pluto and living by yourself.
    Correct, but people implying that companies not running BlackBerry do not value security is taking things a bit far. Companies have to value the complete package, and what it can do and not do, not just the most secure option. BlackBerry needs to address the deficiencies of the platform, i.e. apps, for both consumers and enterprise, before the platform is in serious contention for all but a few small segments.

Posted via Z30
    07-19-15 09:12 AM
    Not knocking cash though I rarely use it these days. It is certainly more safe than a CC.
    If you look at the number of transactions every day I don't see a real issue with safety. It comes down to the consumer being smart.
    The biggest problem I see is debt. With cash you cannot spend more than you have while some people think a CC is a free gold mine. But again, let me repeat, I am not knocking cash.
    I'm wary of debit transactions to be honest. Not the banks themselves but all the fly by night machines that are from various vendors in every shop on the street. At least half of my closest friends have had their debit card compromised at least once and had to have it replaced.

Totally agree on debt and how people treat credit cards irresponsibly. Crazy, lol.
    07-19-15 10:34 AM
    Correct, but people implying that companies not running BlackBerry do not value security is taking things a bit far. Companies have to value the complete package, and what it can do and not do, not just the most secure option. BlackBerry needs to address the deficiencies of the platform, i.e. apps, for both consumers and enterprise, before the platform is in serious contention for all but a few small segments.

Posted via Z30
    Oh I totally agree with you. There is no one answer that covers all situations. People thinking their entire security is improved because they have a Blackberry in their pocket are stretching things quite a bit.
    07-19-15 11:01 AM
    I'm wary of debit transactions to be honest. Not the banks themselves but all the fly by night machines that are from various vendors in every shop on the street. At least half of my closest friends have had their debit card compromised at least once and had to have it replaced.

Totally agree on debt and how people treat credit cards irresponsibly. Crazy, lol.
    I understand and used to be the same way. It took quite a while for me to trust the system and I most certainly do not fully now. Every system has flaws and this one is not as flawless as we would like to be. I guess I have just decided to be as smart as I can be while taking advantage of the convenience it brings. Kind of like drinking beer in moderation, something else I haven't given up yet. LOL.
    07-19-15 11:05 AM

Still, try to lodge a chargeback claim on a cash transaction ... once it's gone, it's gone!

Credit cards do have their validity, and these companies need to buffer the cost. I recently go an attempted fraud email...

-----
    (OT)

Someone asking me to perform services and supply goods while the person allegedly is in hospital and therefore wants to communicate via email only, and also asked to pay the removalist because they "don't take credit card" (or similar wording). The fraudster wanted me to deduct the charges (over $2800) from his credit card and pay the removalist. And then probably lodge a chargeback...

I told the guy I would be liable for income tax, VAT/GST/sales tax, and credit card fees. So he told me to just calculate the cost, and add it to the total. Haha... in order to test the waters, I "generously" added over a thousand bucks (10% GST, 30% income tax), and the guy still wanted me to go ahead and use his card... yeah, lol, dude!
    (you can't find a bank or someone else to do an errand for you for a thousand bux!!!?!)

A variant of overpay/advance payment fraud, I guess. I got the exact same email from a different Gmail account a week or so later. Or maybe the card was stolen...

Email and communications sounded real genuine at first, adapted to my industry, but then after I had quoted for my actual job and therefore was already kinda invested, he sent me the removalist story...

:-D

�   "BB Android Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."   �
    07-19-15 04:02 PM
    Companies have to value the complete package, and what it can do and not do, not just the most secure option.
    Apparently Canadian Tire does and it has 58,000 employees and revenue > 13 billion. I read it deployed BB10 coast to coast. It has a nice free app on BBW but the one for HD costs $0.99 and only shows what is on sale. Both these Big Box stores are near each other in my part of town. As I use BlackBerry, and value security, I use CT.

BB, Still the One
    07-20-15 04:08 AM
    Apparently Canadian Tire does and it has 58,000 employees and revenue > 13 billion. I read it deployed BB10 coast to coast. It has a nice free app on BBW but the one for HD costs $0.99 and only shows what is on sale. Both these Big Box stores are near each other in my part of town. As I use BlackBerry, and value security, I use CT.

BB, Still the One
    So BlackBerry just needs the majority of the world's businesses to be bought buy Canadian ownership.

Posted via Z30
    07-20-15 05:10 AM
    It does make me thing about security more.

Anybody could be a victim of getting there info stolen. All my important information is on my phone. From family stuff, to business stuff. And I wouldn't risk any of it ever. That's why I use a blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 02:19 PM
    It does make me thing about security more.

Anybody could be a victim of getting there info stolen. All my important information is on my phone. From family stuff, to business stuff. And I wouldn't risk any of it ever. That's why I use a blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    Add long as you feel safe doing so, that's all that matters.

Do you use Windows by any chance?
    07-20-15 02:56 PM
    Add long as you feel safe doing so, that's all that matters.
    Do you use Windows by any chance?
    As I already mentioned in another thread, Apple and Android have a bad history when it comes to data protection on their phones, so it's not just a feeling, but experience over many years.
    Just a few links

Apple betrays the iPhone's business hopes | InfoWorld

Apple aware of email attachment encryption issue in iOS 7.1.1

Flawed Android Factory Reset Allows Recovery of Sensitive Data: Researchers | SecurityWeek.Com

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/Papers/fr_most15.pdf

Also, this one was funny last year:
    Apple adds transport layer security to boost iCloud email encryption

I personally plan my home IT long term and don't change hardware every year, and I have chosen BlackBerry because based on experience in the long term it is the most reliable and secure option.
    Security means being at least one step ahead of the bad guys, with BB 10 we are rather 3 steps ahead, but this could change over the next 1-2 years, who knows?!
    Some people might don't need that, but it gives me time to focus on other things.

Regarding Windows:
    You can lock Windows down with Applocker and EMET and then apply a few more tweaks here and there.
    While I don't know anything about Linux, I have my doubts if MAC OS can be secured to the same degree:
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.synack.c...2015+Final.pdf

... but using Windows, doesn't have to be a bad choice, to me the balance between productivity and security is still the best with Windows 7 Enterprise.
    07-21-15 03:59 AM
    And just got my email letting me know my credit card was in the compromised database.

Well, at least I know what probably happened now.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-15 04:43 PM
91 ... 234