Hey,

Anyone else get a request from the Wall Street Journal to explain why he loves Blackberry so much? Could be a chain letter being sent to Crackberry members! Might be good publicity...
    03-13-18 01:30 AM
    I got a request on Twitter from a reporter.
    03-13-18 01:44 AM
    Yes how are you
    03-13-18 04:21 AM
    Go for it Bla1ze. That's one article I'd like to read.
    03-13-18 10:54 AM
    Hey,

Anyone else get a request from the Wall Street Journal to explain why he loves Blackberry so much? Could be a chain letter being sent to Crackberry members! Might be good publicity...
    Hey.. Ladies love BlackBerry too.
    03-13-18 04:16 PM
    That was sent by me! I'd love to hear from all of you. Please reach out. I'm all ears.
    03-13-18 06:18 PM
    Well, most active members on Crackberry will talk about the KeyOne. Many will talk about the BB10 devices.

I, on the other hand, love, the older legacy devices (Bolds, Curves, Torches, Storms). There are many reasons why. First, they are all palm-sized and textures or molded to fit in the palm. Pick one up, and you'll see the back base is slightly bigger than the front, so the phone fits well in a palm. Plus, Blackberry utilized a rubbery texture that helped with grip either when holding the phone or typing.

Second, the keyboards are great for typing long messages. I dislike typing long responses on glass screens. Blackberry uses sculpted keyboards on their best devices, so that each key is slightly different in shape and form, and the whole keyboard has a curved, smiley configuration, all of which helps to improve the typing experience. Typing is easy to do one-handed as well! I can, and I have, typed out whole short stories using a Blackberry; doing so on an Android/iOS device would be an exercise in frustration for me.

Third, Blackberries are solid communications devices and still remain so (at least until BIS is shut down in 2020 or beyond). Call quality is great. You get push notifications on emails (commonplace nowadays, but quite a premium feature back then).

Four, the batteries are removable. One of the worst trends nowadays is sealed batteries. Sure, there is fast charging on modern phones, but what is faster - taking 2 hours to fully charge a battery, or taking 2 seconds to swap out a sent battery for a fully-charged one?

Fifth, the daylight visibility is WITHOUT MATCH. I can put an old Blackberry on the LOWEST screen setting, stand outdoors with the sun shining right on the screen, and I can read everything perfectly. PERFECTLY! I challenge any smartphone, be it iPhone X or Note 8, to dare to match up.

Sixth, the best Blackberries had multi-colored LED lights. You could program them to blink more than a dozen colors, and you could set the blink interval to different lengths and different lights in the combo. You could, for instance, program it to blink out a letter in multi-colored Morse code for a specific contact's text message. How cool is that? You could know exactly who is contacting you without turning on or touching the phone at all, simply by the blink interval and the colors used.

Seventh, you could assign auto-turn on/off times for the phone. This is great for night time when the phone is not in use anyways. I don't see this feature on any modern smartphones, oddly enough. When the Auto-off activates, NOTHING you push or type will turn that phone back on until the auto-on time is reached. No calls, no texts, either, no anything. That is great peace of mind.

Eight, the old Blackberries are self-serviceable. With the right tools, you can open the phone yourself, replace parts cheaply, and basically maintain the phone for years. Parts are cheap. Even whole new Blackberry phones are cheap!

Nine, the build quality of the old Blackberries were quite good. They were built to take punishment and keep working. I would hate to drop an iPhone even just one. That would be hundreds of dollars gone in a blink. The old Blackberries could be dropped repeatedly without fault. And if one should finally die, well, see #8 above and just cheaply replace the faulty part yourself. So easy!

The old Blackberries were designed for communications and PDA tasks first. The camera and social media and browsing were after-thoughts. The mentality today is the opposite, as most smartphones are really just mini-tablets in disguise with camera capabilities; the function of the phone itself is secondary. That said, I would never use an old Blackberry for social media, taking quality pictures, gaming, or browsing. They just weren't designed for that. But if you want a great communications devices (calls, texts, emails, PDA tasks, documents/excel, etc.), any of the 8 year old Blackberries can still run circles around many of the Android phones out there. Used as they were designed to be used, for communications, the old Blackberries are STILL rapid-fast devices.

The oldest models used 2G and cannot be used as phones anymore. The 3G models still work, and 4G legacy models do exist and are quite fast. I personally prefer the 3G models for better battery life.

Right now, I am using a Torch 9800. It is about 7 years old. A full charge can last me 4 or more days. It uses 3G. The screen visibility is great, and the Torch offers a combination touchscreen - physical keyboard. It suits all my needs, although I understand that I am in the very small minority.
    03-13-18 07:42 PM
    For me the Zenith device that put it all together was and is the BlackBerry Classic. The HUB is a all in one communication tool that keeps me organized. Screen real estate was/is more than enough for mobile communications and reading. I do not and never have gamed on my mobile so that's simply not important for my needs. Call quality and reception were unmatched except maybe for my Z30. My only wish is that the Classic had shipped with the 801 and 13 mega pixel from the Passport.
    03-14-18 10:52 AM
    There is a common denominator between the Bolds / Curves and the Classic on BB10, and that is the trackpad. It is a pity that new smartphones do not have a trackpad, because navigation and text editing, even scrolling through menus and one-handed usage is truly superior with a trackpad.

The physical keyboard is an iconic feature of the Blackberry, but I would argue the trackpad is just as important.

Blackberries represent an ideal marriage of form with function to optimize the user experience. That is a key difference with newer smartphones, where form veers towards the asthetic, not the functional.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    nas2 likes this.
    03-14-18 02:06 PM
    What’s That Thing You’re Sending an Email With? Um, It’s a BlackBerry
    - https://www.wsj.com/articles/whats-t...rry-1521215499
    03-16-18 12:29 PM
    What’s That Thing You’re Sending an Email With? Um, It’s a BlackBerry
    - https://www.wsj.com/articles/whats-t...rry-1521215499
    Damn! Needs a subscription. :/

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.3.2163
    03-16-18 12:33 PM

Weird. I don't have a subscription. Can see it fine. In any case, it's meh like most 'I'm writing about BB diehards' articles. They all have a unique pattern..

- Talk about how great the company was
    - Talk about the popularity before the big fall
    - Explain a bit of the big fall, decline in users, mention iPhone, etc.
    - Quotes from users, usually using BBOS devices, not even BB10 or newer Android
    - Say something about Kim Kardashian
    - Leave openended convo since no one can tell what will happen in the future
    Bbnivende and AmritD like this.
    03-16-18 12:35 PM

I think WSJ lifts the paywall if you're getting referred from a Google search, so search the article title and go to the first news link that pops up.
    03-16-18 12:38 PM
    That wasn't much of an article. More like filler with little research involved. There wasn't any point to it. Ah, pity...

Typed on the physical keyboard of my vintage BlackBerry 9800
    03-16-18 01:36 PM
    That wasn't much of an article. More like filler with little research involved. There wasn't any point to it. Ah, pity...

Typed on the physical keyboard of my vintage BlackBerry 9800
    I agree...nothing special
    03-17-18 07:57 AM
    At least it was factual correct for once.
    03-17-18 08:12 AM