02-05-12 09:56 PM
62 123
tools
    Seriously? You had to bring HIM into the conversation? Ruined the whole thread...

That was a pretty rude and ignorant comment. Keep your political beliefs to yourself. You could offend people. And you may not care, but you'll only look like a .

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    bigbmc26 and SK122387 like this.
    02-03-12 10:27 PM
    My mom went to a Verizon store in SC today to upgrade her BB to the BB Torch. Shortly after she arrived, I received a phone call from her telling me that the rep in the store told her that BlackBerry is obsolete and that she should get an iPhone! When she asked him what the iPhone could do that her BB couldn't, all he could talk about was siri. She told him that she could do similar things with Vlingo (yay Mom!) Anyway, he went on to pressure her until she told him that her daughter told her to stick with her original choice.

What does VZ stand to gain by throwing BB under the bus? My mom said they didn't even have the BB Torch on display even though they had them in stock! I had a similar experience when I bought my PB from Staples. As someone who loves BB, this is very frustrating!
    Hmm... Won't QNX and BB10 make the existing line-up "obsolete" from a technical point-of-view. Will the old phones run the new OS?
    02-03-12 10:50 PM
    Verizon is all Android.
    02-03-12 10:51 PM
    When the sales reps tell people that 'Android is the future' they are right, but that is ONLY because QNX is NOT on any phones yet. I have NO DOUBT that if QNX on a phone is half as good as it is on the PB that within a couple of years QNX and BB will be the future

the only problem is... most of the sales reps dont know what QNX is bc they have never used it on the PB due to all the bad press
    02-03-12 11:15 PM
    Here are the 3 reasons why carriers may NEVER steer customers into buying BlackBerries again:

1. Bridge - stealing data from your phone to use on the PB = bad for carriers, good for consumers.
    2. Data compression - BB users are less likely to go over their data limits = bad for carriers, good for consumers.
    3. BBM - BBM users are less likely to go over their monthly text allowance = bad for carriers, good for consumers.

For a company that used to have great relationships with the carriers, they are in a pickle right now with them. RIM's technologies go against what the carriers really want you to do with your phone... data overages, texting overages, tethering fees.
    02-04-12 07:29 AM
    That was a pretty rude and ignorant comment. Keep your political beliefs to yourself. You could offend people. And you may not care, but you'll only look like a .

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    LOL...thanks oh great one...
    02-04-12 07:48 AM
    Well, I have no words except for the fact that rim is totally going under the truck right now. We need them to grow back their limbs.
    02-04-12 08:46 AM
    LOL...thanks oh great one...
    He's right. Keep some that cow pie to yourself. Folks were talking about phones and store reps.
    02-04-12 09:28 AM
    He's right. Keep some that cow pie to yourself. Folks were talking about phones and store reps.
    I totally agree which is why I responded in the first place. I didn't bring it up...go back and jump on the guy who did. I come here to get away from it as well...some of you need to direct your anger in the proper direction.
    02-04-12 09:44 AM
    Actually... I think the previous poster had introduced O as a reference... perhaps some of this should be directed towards the introduction of politics to the post, not the response to that introduction?
    02-04-12 09:46 AM
    Actually... I think the previous poster had introduced O as a reference... perhaps some of this should be directed towards the introduction of politics to the post, not the response to that introduction?
    Thank you sir...at least someone here gets it
    02-04-12 09:52 AM
    Thank you sir...at least someone here gets it
    The other poster wasn't making it political. You did.
    MsTiaLia likes this.
    02-04-12 10:01 AM
    Mentioning that the leader of a powerful country uses the product to suggest that product is worthy of somone with his status is not political. Suggesting the mention of said leaders name is equal to ruining a thread is.
    MsTiaLia likes this.
    02-04-12 10:04 AM
    Back on topic...good for your Mom OP. The salesman should have respected her opinion and helped her find what she wanted.
    MsTiaLia, maddie1128 and JoziGrrl like this.
    02-04-12 10:07 AM
    Here are the 3 reasons why carriers may NEVER steer customers into buying BlackBerries again:

1. Bridge - stealing data from your phone to use on the PB = bad for carriers, good for consumers.
    2. Data compression - BB users are less likely to go over their data limits = bad for carriers, good for consumers.
    3. BBM - BBM users are less likely to go over their monthly text allowance = bad for carriers, good for consumers.

For a company that used to have great relationships with the carriers, they are in a pickle right now with them. RIM's technologies go against what the carriers really want you to do with your phone... data overages, texting overages, tethering fees.
    All good points my friend. Btw my local Verizon store must be the exception to the rule, because when I bought my 9850 the store mgr. was showing me hers and telling me how much she loved it.
    danimalchil and JoziGrrl like this.
    02-04-12 10:10 AM
    This is simply a bad salesperson. I don't want to assume the age of the OPs mom, but I wouldn't recommend a full touchscreen device to anyone who's getting a little older and maybe has some visual acuity problems, and isn't necessarily interested in using the device much beyond that of a "PDA / Phone" user paradigm.
    My mom isn't even 50. Besides, she already had a BB...she just wanted to upgrade to a newer one and he was telling her to get an iPhone, which is also a full touchscreen device.
    02-04-12 10:55 AM
    I hear this all the time, because people compare their old curve 8330 to a new apple or droid phone. They never size it up to a bb7 device. If they did, the might have a different opinion about it.
    02-04-12 10:57 AM
    Mentioning that the leader of a powerful country uses the product to suggest that product is worthy of somone with his status is not political. Suggesting the mention of said leaders name is equal to ruining a thread is.
    Not to beat this to death but if the name never comes up this issue never takes place. Now, we all know there are strong opinions on this matter and the shear mention of that name sparks very different and sometimes opposing remarks....the fact that I am being attacked is proof enough. Let's move on.

As you were....
    Last edited by FuzzyB; 02-04-12 at 11:32 AM.
    02-04-12 11:29 AM
    All,

I hadn't realized how offensive the President is to some of you. He is an ardent BlackBerry fan just like us here on CB nation. I was simply pointing out that I didn't think a rep of any company would have tried to tell him they were obsolete. It was not meant to be political, supportive, or the like. The fact that my comment was immediately skewed to suggest that I was ruining a thread is offensive to say the least. Some of you need to grow up.
    02-04-12 11:37 AM
    I totally agree which is why I responded in the first place. I didn't bring it up...go back and jump on the guy who did. I come here to get away from it as well...some of you need to direct your anger in the proper direction.
    My bad. You response read more like sarcasm the first time I read it.

Extending the olive branch to you.

Live Long and Prosper...
    MsTiaLia likes this.
    02-04-12 11:55 AM

Live Long and Prosper...

Yay! We're all friends and BB lovers again!!!
    02-04-12 12:46 PM

Live Long and Prosper...
    It's all good eggs...carry on...
    02-04-12 01:48 PM
    Commission based pay... They will push the products that will pay them the most, plain and simple. They have no motivation to sell the customer the best handset for their needs, they want to sell the phone that's going to pay them the most.

I hate it when I hear stories like this. I work part time for a 3rd party authorized retailer for wireless phones (Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T currently, we used to carry VZW) and I always tell people to avoid the carrier stores. I always try to find out what the customer wants to do with their device, and then try to fit them with the best platform to achieve their wants and needs.

When I went to my local VZW store to get my 9930, I decided to walk in there and play stupid in hopes to get a little money off the handset. I told the rep (who seemed to be new) that I've got a 9630, that I liked BlackBerry, and wanted to see what was available for BlackBerry (as if I didn't already know) and what else may be available. We went over to the 9930, and the rep told me, "you should be able to browse the web and do e-mail and stuff on this." He then directed me immediately to the newest Android handset, and went on a big long explaination on how I can access my desktop remotely from this, and do 800 different things. Then we looked at a couple other Android handsets, as well as the iPhone. I ended up getting my $50 off the 9930, and left.

Moral of the story, don't go to the carrier store. You pay more for the handset, you don't get a straight deal from the salesmen, and you leave disappointed...
    Sadly this seems to be the case in a lot of retail situations. Being in the world of retail, I can honestly agree with you on your story: sell the CLIENT what they need, they'll come back to you more often and refer you. I've had more people refer their friends to come see me for their device needs here in Canada because even though I'm a dual-weilder of a Blackberry 9810 and an HTC Amaze 4G (and seriously, the BB sees far more action and gets significantly better battery life), I will always find out what a client needs, then find the device that fits them... of course it also helps that I'm experienced with all 3 systems. Shouldn't that be mandatory for sales everywhere? Otherwise you wind up with unhappy customers, not clients who come back to see you again and again for good service... and there's a huge difference between a customer and a client.
    02-05-12 01:16 AM
    You should ask someone at one of the stores what each phone pays them in spiff, specifically.

Pretty much obliterates your theory... facts can be so inconvenient!

In reality, they get to use everything, and they have to deal with returns and complaints. They react according to those two experiences.
    Not always so. The ones who are good and knowledgeable are the ones who use everything at least once and deal with returns and complaints, especially from other reps who carry different models of phone.

As well, at least here in Canada, staff are highly discouraged from disclosing what we are paid in spiffs by each company when we sell their device, or even IF we're paid for selling a particular device. Why? Because that automatically makes someone think that's the only reason why we're pushing something. Sometimes it is (dishonest reps), sometimes it isn't (honest reps). Honest reps always push a good product that WILL serve the client's needs.
    02-05-12 01:28 AM
    As a former 3rd party VZW rep, I have to say I'm upset by the lack of professionalism in many of these stories. I'm not the type to shove anything down anyone's throat (part of the "former" issue) so I'm inclined to find out what people want.

Any salesperson who believes their business is run by REPEAT customers will never question a person's choice. I learned that years ago when making a joke about Macs...

Additionally, the main problem is the rep trying to sell something else when a person comes for a specific item. People will spend money on what they want, period. If I ask for an iPhone, I want an iPhone. If I ask for a BlackBerry by name and number, you bring it out to me unless you don't have it. If I ask for an Android device by name, that better be what you bring up to the desk.

I could care less that she was "refused" a BB, but that she was "refused" turns my stomach.

I salute the OP's mom for standing up for her choice as a person!
    02-05-12 03:19 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD