I heard that VZ Nav was getting an update that will have traffic info. Has anyone heard if the BB version is getting that update?

And yes, I know that VZW cripples their phones and that I should quit paying $10 for GPS.
    04-19-08 07:21 PM
    Haven't heard that, but if it's true, then I'm stoked! (Do people still use "Stoked" anymore? LOL)
    04-20-08 12:49 PM
    It's supposed to have that and different scale of maps. more like on the road view.... I heard the date of late summer, but not confirmed sorry.
    04-20-08 12:54 PM
    [QUOTE=VZWBBnewb;264152]Haven't heard that, but if it's true, then I'm stoked! (Do people still use "Stoked" anymore? LOL)[/QUOT

"Stoked" usually comes after "Totally"
    It's still in rotation...
    04-21-08 12:40 AM
    got a text today that it was available on my regular phone (chocolate). then I came home and opened the box for my curve, called in to activate it and forgot about the update. Now I can't seem to get the app on the BB..... where do I go to get it in the first place?
    05-07-08 09:16 PM
    tech guy says (tonight, 5/13) that version 4 is set to come out and that the version for the curve might be here as soon as next week and that it will be "full gps" whatever that means for us.... but he did seem knowledgable and said that I would still need cell service to use it because that's how they track it....

funny. too bad it couldn't find me on google maps except within 5000 meters... anyway. I just started another thread about data usage on puck GPS because I'm considering dropping VZNav for something else, too.
    05-13-08 09:57 PM
    Most GPS Navs use data. I don't know how you don't use data, it's not as if you can load 1GB to 4GB data on a SD card with Blackberry. Can you do that? I don't think you can.

Again, VZ Nav is very accurate, highly competent, and works better than puck GPS + phone combo.
    05-16-08 10:03 AM
    got a text today that it was available on my regular phone (chocolate). then I came home and opened the box for my curve, called in to activate it and forgot about the update. Now I can't seem to get the app on the BB..... where do I go to get it in the first place?
    The download link for the BB should be on the default main page in the BB browser.
    05-16-08 12:53 PM
    Most GPS Navs use data. I don't know how you don't use data, it's not as if you can load 1GB to 4GB data on a SD card with Blackberry. Can you do that? I don't think you can.

Again, VZ Nav is very accurate, highly competent, and works better than puck GPS + phone combo.
    Actually, there are a few apps that allow you to load maps on SD cards. Trekbuddy is one - you do have to create/download maps in advance to get things going.
    05-16-08 06:26 PM
    just called Tech support tonight. version 4 is out for regular phones, but no release date or rumors for release dates for smartphones or berries..... tech chick said she had a pearl and would love to know herself. so no traffic, movie time search, cheap gas, or that other stuff for now (or maybe a lot longer than now).

might have to go puck for cost and efficiency.
    05-23-08 07:54 PM
    VZ Navigator Version 4: Available Today

Only for phones right now but hopefully they'll be coming out with BB version soon.
    05-26-08 10:36 PM
    I didn't like google n sure won't pay 10 dollars for vz nav its so lame. N Verizon needs to stop holding so much back on there berries. Its a joke. I wonder when wifi will work for the berries

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-08 05:09 AM
    N Verizon needs to stop holding so much back on there berries. Its a joke. I wonder when wifi will work for the berries

CDMA Blackberries DON'T have WiFi hardware in them, so VZW, Sprint, Alltel don't disable WiFi on their BBs. The CDMA line of the product simply doesn't have WiFi in them, so really the only joke here is... your misinformation.

GPS for Verizon, is another story.... and last I checked, the only story, as everything else is untouched.
    05-27-08 09:13 AM
    I talked with a Verizon rep and they said the end of June. How accurate that is I don't know.

05-27-08 01:27 PM
    Well ya gotta consider that most of their phones run on BREW and the Blackberry is a Java device. Assuming the BREW launch went well I'm sure they're busy re-compiling it now for Blackberry, Windows Mobile, etc. If they have a clue (and they do) it should be along in a month or three, I suspect.

As for using data time that's OK, as long as you have coverage. If you don't, it doesn't work, that's the downside. The upside is that when it does work you always have the latest info instead of a stale database you have to manually update.

Well that's mostly true, they rely on a mapping service they have no control over (and does contain errors), but the phone book stuff is presumably tied into Idearc Media, a Verizon subsidiary that publishes both their printed phone books and superpages.com info.

Anyway, all I know is that v2.9.9 is very useful to me and v3 sounds even more useful.
    05-28-08 12:29 AM
    Actually, there are a few apps that allow you to load maps on SD cards. Trekbuddy is one - you do have to create/download maps in advance to get things going.
    not on a blackberry... Is there a GPS app that allows you to load data from SD card on blackberry phones?
    06-04-08 12:39 PM
    I'm not sure what you mean "not on a bb."

Trekbuddy works on my 8830. You download maps on your computer using another 3rd party mapping application. Then copy the maps to your SD card. Trekbuddy will use them. There is another app that works similarly but I have not really given it a trial.
    06-04-08 04:23 PM
    Hey guys i posted this on pinstack not to long ago and it seemed to get most people going that did not know how to do it. You see Verizon is not lieing when they say they do not cripple the gps they just dont offer support for 3d party gps. Now this only works for the curve as far as i know as thats all i have tried it on. It also still will not fix googlemaps as it will continue to run on data feeds but i am a geocacher and it runs trimble and carfinder and others that i have heard people try after i shared this. So goodluck and here is the post:

OK well I was Also having problems with this and came across a few others posts about how to do it but no one seemed to know exactly how to perform the task. So here is a step by step on how to go about running those apps that everyone seems to not be able to run. I know this kind of sucks as you have to have VZnav first but VZNAV is a great program so swallowing the 9.99 they charge for it is not to hard. anyway once you have VZNAV

#1 start it up, then go to maps and select it.
    #2 scroll down to follow me and select it.
    #3 wait for it to find your location.
    #4 Close the screen now "don’t close the program out just back out and leave it running.
    #5 Now select the program in which you could not use before IE: Trimble or whatever GPS program you wanted and watch as the GPS comes alive!

So it sucks that you have two battery munching programs running but at least it works for now until VZW pulls their heads out and gives us what everyone else has for free.. GOODLUCK!
    06-05-08 01:23 AM
    Personally I can't wait for the upgraded version and its awesome to hear its on the way sometime at least. I am new to having a Blackberry and love my Curve but I transitioned from an LG Voyager that had it and the new features are way cool. I use the web mainly for finding stuff, checking movie times and weather and VZ Navigator v 4 is awesome for all of these. Being a former Sprint customer, I used to like their Handmark program that ships free with pretty much all their phones but sometimes the info it provided would be wrong, much like Sprint customer service reps lol, but I digress. It would kick back wrong movie times or addresses etc. I know it sucks having to pay $10 a month to use VZ Navigator but for what I use it for, its worth it IMHO. The new feature that finds the cheapest gas in your area isnt a baad thing to have either with prices what they are, it may just make up for the cost of the service itself.
    06-07-08 11:21 AM
    hope they release V 4 soon. I emailed again today asking about a release date..... we'll see
    06-09-08 05:35 PM
    are there any updates on when the new version of vznavigator is going to be available with the traffic updates?
    08-26-08 12:35 PM
    Just inquiring about the VZnav update................any word?
    09-02-08 06:46 PM
    I wish they'd get off their butts and finish the BB version. It's been months since it came out on their BREW phones. There's really no excuse for the delay anymore.
    09-02-08 08:02 PM
    I was told at the store that Sept. 1st it would be available for BB, but when I checked for updates it didn't have any =(
    09-04-08 01:44 PM
    And yes, I know that VZW cripples their phones and that I should quit paying $10 for GPS.
    alltel uses telenav and it's $10 a month too
    09-04-08 01:49 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD