Hi there,

I used to have a LG phone on a voice plan with Bell Mobility (CDMA). My plan includes unlimited 1X browsing that worked fine with the LG phone. Now, I just switched to a BB 7250 and kept the voice plan without adding the data plan. I thought that there would be a browser for BB that would enable me to use the 1X browsing under my voice plan.

Bell tells me that I have to get a data plan to browse the Internet. I still haven't cancel the browser because I hope that there is a BB browser that works just like a phone browser.

Could anyone help me or point me to right application?
    03-01-08 01:21 AM
    Other internet plans for other phones will not work as intended on BlackBerry phones. If you want to access the internet on your BB you should get a BB data plan as Bell suggests.
    03-01-08 02:10 AM
    Other internet plans for other phones will not work as intended on BlackBerry phones. If you want to access the internet on your BB you should get a BB data plan as Bell suggests.

I just want to see if there is a BB browser that works like a phone browser.
    03-01-08 02:14 AM
    What do you mean by phone browser? There is no way to access the internet from any application without having a BB data plan, or a wifi enabled BB.
    03-01-08 02:22 AM
    I mean the type of browser that regular cell phones come with. I'm not sure what knid it is, bur it enables you to brows the Inernet. Could be WAP or something like that....
    03-01-08 02:25 AM
    And to browse the internet on a BB you need a BB data plan or a wifi enabled BB.
    03-01-08 02:33 AM
    And to browse the internet on a BB you need a BB data plan or a wifi enabled BB.
    Well, take a look at the post #27 on the 2nd page of the following thread:
    hxxp://forums.crackberry.com/f71/no-data-package-needed-9287/index2.html

I think that what I'm asking about is possible.
    03-01-08 02:55 AM
    You do realize he was talking about something from 2005... A lot of things have changed since then. This is the last time I am replying to your thread. If you want internet, you need a data plan.
    03-01-08 01:54 PM
    You do realize he was talking about something from 2005... A lot of things have changed since then. This is the last time I am replying to your thread. If you want internet, you need a data plan.
    I hope you are not right, thanks for help though.
    03-01-08 04:16 PM
    Sorry to say he is right.

You have to get a blackberry data plan in order to use any data for the blackberry. Without the plan, you can only make and receive calls and SMS that is it.
    03-01-08 07:01 PM
    The link you reference earlier did you read the first post:

V.R.-"Ok, the first thing I want to let you know is that you DO NOT have to have a data package in order to use the blackberry. The only things that won't work is internet/email, video/picture messaging. "
    03-01-08 07:03 PM
    The link you reference earlier did you read the first post:

V.R.-"Ok, the first thing I want to let you know is that you DO NOT have to have a data package in order to use the blackberry. The only things that won't work is internet/email, video/picture messaging. "
    Yes, I did read the whole thread, however, it doesn't mean that what's stated in the thread is factual.
    I guess I may be coming across as a stubborn person, but I still haven't heard a decent technical explanation why WAP browser would not work on a voice plan on a blackberry. It works on regular cell phones, certainly bb's have capacity and do support WAP browsers than why it would not work on them on the voice plan. A reasonable technical explanation - that's all I'm looking for.
    Last edited by vivberry; 03-01-08 at 11:54 PM.
    03-01-08 11:49 PM
    From my understanding a BB data plan is needed or wifi on the phone is needed to access the interent. If you go wifi then obviously you will be connecting to either a hotspot....if you dont know what that is you can google it....or you will need to connect to your home wifi as long as you have a wireless interent connection running in your house. As far as the data plan that is giving you access to the BB servers (BIS OR BES) that only blackberrys can connect to. To my knowledge the system is set up like a wireless interent using a mac address to allow or disallow a user onto it. The BB using a unique IMEI number that is differenet for ever phone that they put out. Now if you some how were able to clone a persons IMEI number and input it on your phone then you may have a chance to steel there connection.....just not sure what BIS or BES would do if that happened maybe ban both phones until the owner was able to get ahold of there carrier to fix the issue. I truely am hoping that this helps.....you can hit me up if you have any other questions..

A TRUE BB ABUSER.
    03-02-08 12:09 AM
    From my understanding a BB data plan is needed or wifi on the phone is needed to access the interent. If you go wifi then obviously you will be connecting to either a hotspot....if you dont know what that is you can google it....or you will need to connect to your home wifi as long as you have a wireless interent connection running in your house. As far as the data plan that is giving you access to the BB servers (BIS OR BES) that only blackberrys can connect to. To my knowledge the system is set up like a wireless interent using a mac address to allow or disallow a user onto it. The BB using a unique IMEI number that is differenet for ever phone that they put out. Now if you some how were able to clone a persons IMEI number and input it on your phone then you may have a chance to steel there connection.....just not sure what BIS or BES would do if that happened maybe ban both phones until the owner was able to get ahold of there carrier to fix the issue. I truely am hoping that this helps.....you can hit me up if you have any other questions..

A TRUE BB ABUSER.
    A wap browser has nothing to do with wifi, bb browser, bes or HTML browsing. WAP browsers use the same protocols that all the non pda cell phones with voice plans only do. So could someone explain why a Blackberry with a WAP browser and unlimited subscription to WAP browsing not be able to use it on a voice plan? My 7250 was a refurbished unit and it came with no service book entries and browsers installed. I installed a WAP browser on it and I need to find out what service book entries I need and how to put them in. If anyone has any knowledge in this area I will appreciate if they share it with me.
    03-02-08 12:23 AM
    There is a couple of thing wrong with your previous statement, which my explain why you can't.

WAP browsers use the same protocols that all the non pda cell phones with voice plans only do.
    A the WAP broswer on the blackberry and all other PDAs are not programmed that way. Your browser will only be active with the correct service book sent by your provider. Try to compare PDA to PDA and not PDA to typical phone. Apples and Oranges. You can not take any Windows PDA and expect to use the internet if you don't pay for the internet plan, same with a Blackberry.

So could someone explain why a Blackberry with a WAP browser and unlimited subscription to WAP browsing not be able to use it on a voice plan?
    You don't have an unlimited WAP plan on your Blackberry, no such thing exist without either purchasing a data plan or having a WiFi card.

My 7250 was a refurbished unit and it came with no service book entries and browsers installed. I installed a WAP browser on it and I need to find out what service book entries I need and how to put them in. If anyone has any knowledge in this area I will appreciate if they share it with me.
    Service books are only and totally controlled/sent by the provider. You can't share them. You can send them to your friends. You can't hack them, or steal them with out paying for them. That is just the system. So there is no way to get internet regardless of what every you installed with out either a data plan or a Wifi enabled blackberry.

Your provider determines what services/features are enabled and disabled on your blackberry.
    Last edited by orle8050; 03-02-08 at 04:45 AM.
    03-02-08 04:43 AM
    Most phones (like my previous RAZR) are phones first, with some added features for browsing the internet and such. Even with my old phone, I had to pay an additional fee to access the internet.

Blackberries, I consider a PDA that happens to have phone capabilities. The PDA has much better internet capabilities, either using WiFi (on BBs with that feature) or through Blackberry's internet service. Most other PDAs don't have phone features and only connect to the internet via Wifi (like my retired Axim). Even the iPhone requires seperate voice and data plans to use their services.

With Blackberries, the two services are provided by two different companies. Phone service is provided through your cellular provider, internet is provided through Blackerry's service. That is how the device is built. The two services are completly seperate, even though they are part of one device.
    03-02-08 09:36 AM
    Thanks all for your responses. This gives me some better understanding of my situation and the plan that I have. My plan was initially a voice plan designed for a regular cell phone and it included unlimited browsing. My understanding is that the phones use WAP browser to access the INTERNET, or it's limited mobile version. I simply did a device swap and put the bb7250 on that plan because I thought that it would handle the cell phone type browsing in the same way. Thanks again.
    03-02-08 12:48 PM
    It doesn't work that way for PDAs and Blackberries, you need a separate data plan to use any sort of data. Same way you need a voice plan to use voice services.

Think of it like this, just because you purchase a home phone service does not mean you have high speed internet access as well. You would need your provider to provision your account for high speed (and charge you) plus you would need the modem and cables. There is no way of getting around that except if you had wifi and no way of getting around using the blackberry without a data plan except with wifi.
    03-02-08 12:54 PM
    There is a trick to get service book on BlackBerry!!!

But still not 100% successfull!!!

I have done trick which works in one BB but not in other
    08-15-09 12:34 AM
    There is a trick to get service book on BlackBerry!!!

But still not 100% successfull!!!

I have done trick which works in one BB but not in other
    Thanks for the reply, that was long time ago and since I then i have got a new Bold from Rogers with BIS plan ang 500MB data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 08:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD