Virus threat on smartphones to rise in 2013: Trend Micro

Mobile security firm Trend Micro has warned that the threat from viruses on smartphones will increase in 2013.
    The Cambridge-based firm said, threats to smartphones, particularly those running on Android, are now similar to those on a Personal Computer.

Virus threat on smartphones to rise in 2013: Trend Micro
    Risks include espionage to gain private information from the phone, aggressive advertising which cannot be removed and spam

According to the firm, malware targeting Android increased nearly sixfold in Q3 (July to September), up from around 30,000 malicious and potentially dangerous applications to more than 175,000.

Risks include espionage to gain private information from the phone, aggressive advertising which cannot be removed and spam.

The firm predicts that next year viruses will be able to feed information from the likes of banking applications, putting customers at great financial risk.

Rik Ferguson, Director of security research, Trend Micro, says the challenge lies around raising awareness, as mobile users are still unwilling to accept there is a threat to their phones.

The number of malicious and high-risk Android apps, expected to reach at least 350,000 by the end of 2012, will increase threefold in 2013, broadly in line with predicted growth of the Operating System itself, said the report by Trend Micro
    01-30-13 04:50 AM
    And therefore those running Androids (which include me) need to take care of what apps they get and where they click.

AND get antivirus. (which I have)

No platform is impenetrable.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-30-13 05:26 AM
    im not going to touch it. i call truce for a day!!!!!!!
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-30-13 05:28 AM
    And therefore those running Androids (which include me) need to take care of what apps they get and where they click.

AND get antivirus. (which I have)

No platform is impenetrable.
    Safe to say, anyone that knows you from CB has a good idea, your android is safe. Your quite possibly in the top 1 to 5% of securely mobile user's. I suspect the 1.
    It's the other 95% that should worry.
    Possibly some will prefer BlackBerry takes care of them.
    01-30-13 05:41 AM
    There should be no *need* for a truce.
    These are bits and pieces of plastic and wires. It's not personal. I'm the same person when I use my SGIII as I am when I use my 9900 as I am when I use my 4S.
    Each has its strengths and each has its weaknesses.

Guess I'm too much of an Episcopalian. Via media.
    David in Durham likes this.
    01-30-13 05:43 AM
    Safe to say, anyone that knows you from CB has a good idea, your android is safe. Your quite possibly in the top 1 to 5% of securely mobile user's. I suspect the 1.
    It's the other 95% that should worry.
    Possibly some will prefer BlackBerry takes care of them.
    Safe use of anything can be taught and learned.
    I'm not special. I just work in IT.
    01-30-13 05:45 AM
    Im kindof imporessed by the numbers, expecting more than 1 million malicious and high-risk Android apps by end of 2013... That's scary
    01-30-13 05:46 AM
    I have a question. Is android like windows where you can have antivirus yet it doesn't catch a new threat? I'm sure it is. Also I've removed viruses from people who picked it up only by clicking on a link in a search engine. Does this happen on android also? Yes all systems are vulnerable but it seems that you don't hear much about iOS and BBOS getting viruses like you do android.

Yes the user needs to think but as they say on here about everything most users don't pay any attention until they find something isn't right and some fake sites look just the legit ones.
    01-30-13 05:51 AM
    I have a question. Is android like windows where you can have antivirus yet it doesn't catch a new threat? I'm sure it is. Also I've removed viruses from people who picked it up only by clicking on a link in a search engine. Does this happen on android also? Yes all systems are vulnerable but it seems that you don't hear much about iOS and BBOS getting viruses like you do android.

Yes the user needs to think but as they say on here about everything most users don't pay any attention until they find something isn't right and some fake sites look just the legit ones.
    Yes you are more susceptible to things like drive bys simply because the browser is so much like a desktop browser. So you do have to be careful about where you click.

Back in my Android hating days, when I fought tooth and nail with Howarmat, Rickroller, Reeneebob, etc., I thought Android would be impossible to use safely. And while I still don't use it for banking apps, I have not had one single issue since getting my Atrix. I had two phishing incidents as a result of live wallpapers, so now I'm just careful and run antivirus.

And by the way, my hesitancy to use banking apps is not concern about Android, it's concern about apps. While I am very careful about apps, that is where the problems arise.

I had to eat a lot of crow, there were a lot of people I insulted during my Android hate days.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    01-30-13 06:09 AM

Not sure about catching *all* threats, but mine has caught malware immediately after I downloaded a game. That's why I always advise to only download apps with an editor's choice or top developer distinctions. It's a lesson to not mind to how many apps a platform has, but the quality of those apps.

Also, this Trend Micro makes a paid mobile antivirus. Theirs is $30 a year for a subscription. It's in their best interest to play up security threats on Android.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-30-13 06:18 AM
    Yes you are more susceptible to things like drive bys simply because the browser is so much like a desktop browser. So you do have to be careful about where you click.

Back in my Android hating days, when I fought tooth and nail with Howarmat, Rickroller, Reeneebob, etc., I thought Android would be impossible to use safely. And while I still don't use it for banking apps, I have not had one single issue since getting my Atrix. I had two phishing incidents as a result of live wallpapers, so now I'm just careful and run antivirus.

And by the way, my hesitancy to use banking apps is not concern about Android, it's concern about apps. While I am very careful about apps, that is where the problems arise.

I had to eat a lot of crow, there were a lot of people I insulted during my Android hate days.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks. Yep, people need to use the thing between their ears. I have one friend that kept getting the xp security virus that would pop up even after I told him and told him when that pops up don't do anything but drag the window out of the way and run malwarebytes or just reboot. Even hitting the X to close it would install the virus.
    01-30-13 06:20 AM
    malware will always be made to target the most popular OS. Android is by far the most popular OS, more popular than all other OS's put together. Hence the focus on Android.
    If BB10 ever replaced Android at the top, there will be a bucketload of malware.
    Our obscurity is our best security
    01-30-13 06:21 AM
    Not sure about catching *all* threats, but mine has caught malware immediately after I downloaded a game. That's why I always advise to only download apps with an editor's choice or top developer distinctions. It's a lesson to not mind to how many apps a platform has, but the quality of those apps.

Also, this Trend Micro makes a paid mobile antivirus. Theirs is $30 a year for a subscription. It's in their best interest to play up security threats on Android.
    So was that game from the official store or somewhere else? Yes all antivirus companies have an investment and the threats are real but some scare tactics are used. I've never had a virus myself on any windows version but my friends and family sure have.
    01-30-13 06:27 AM
    So was that game from the official store or somewhere else? Yes all antivirus companies have an investment and the threats are real but some scare tactics are used. I've never had a virus myself on any windows version but my friends and family sure have.
    It was from the official Google Play Store. One thing I definitely agree with is that they need a tighter reign on what developers are putting in the store. They used to be able to catch bad apps pretty quickly, but the number of both good and bad apps is rising too fast. You would think, though, that Google would be able to put a good team in place just to catch these things.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-30-13 06:32 AM
    malware will always be made to target the most popular OS. Android is by far the most popular OS, more popular than all other OS's put together. Hence the focus on Android.
    If BB10 ever replaced Android at the top, there will be a bucketload of malware.
    ON that same note, I remember when OSX was touted as being safe from viruses. Being a strictly numbers game, they now are being infected like Windows.
    darkehawke and kbz1960 like this.
    01-30-13 06:39 AM
    i disagree, respectfully. There was a time when blackberry was number one, but it was never as vulnerable
    01-30-13 06:57 AM
    End user arrogance, the attackers best tool.
    01-30-13 07:18 AM
    i disagree, respectfully. There was a time when blackberry was number one, but it was never as vulnerable
    It's still numbers my friend. creators of malware wants an audience.
    Blackberry users at it's peak would be pitiful compared to Android users today.
    Back when blackberry was number one, smartphones simply were not popular. the numbers back then do not compare to numbers today.
    01-30-13 07:22 AM
    So, is there anti-virus and/or anti-phishing software for BB phones and the PB? I don't recall seeing anything.
    01-30-13 07:59 AM
    So, is there anti-virus and/or anti-phishing software for BB phones and the PB? I don't recall seeing anything.
    Yep, there are several. They'll sell to whoever will buy LOL.
    01-30-13 08:04 AM
    This is nothing new.

Real and perceived malware threats on smartphone platforms have been around for some time. The antiviral companies have a vested interest in promoting the latest "scares" in order to get people to buy their products. It's shameful and unethical.
    01-30-13 08:12 AM
    It's still numbers my friend. creators of malware wants an audience.
    Blackberry users at it's peak would be pitiful compared to Android users today.
    Back when blackberry was number one, smartphones simply were not popular. the numbers back then do not compare to numbers today.
    Thats a very simplistic explanation. Viruses have been around on PCs way before there was one in every home. The incentive to steal data was always there, even more so for business users.

Case in point: If, as you said, Blackberry's arent worth the malwares, then how come.

ON that same note, I remember when OSX was touted as being safe from viruses. Being a strictly numbers game, they now are being infected like Windows.
    01-30-13 09:04 AM