I am new to crackberry, and I have a question. Is there any virus protection on a blackberry? If not is there something I could download or buy? Or can you not get a virus?
    02-29-08 02:39 PM
    I would like to know as well.I have not seen any threads on this issue.Hope someone knows.
    02-29-08 02:49 PM
    same here! does anyone know?
    02-29-08 03:59 PM
    There is no virus' that can affect BBs, although someone developed a program to prevent them, its basically just a way for them to make some money...
    heres a "proof of concept" torjan, but you actually have to purposefully load it to your phone, and it doesn't do anything to the phone, it hacks access to the network
    BlackBerry Devices are Vulnerable, Virus Researcher Proves � Telecommunications Industry News
    And here is the Anti-virus,,,
    SMobile launches Pearl anti-virus software | BlackBerry Cool
    Last edited by cjcarbone; 02-29-08 at 04:05 PM.
    02-29-08 04:00 PM
    there is VirusGuard from SMobile supporting BB, they should be able to tell you if there are Virus / Malware for BB.

I went on a dogy website over the weekend, my BB froze i had to pull the battery. After rebooting my SMS did not work anymore and strange people returning my call (which I never called in first place).
    03-10-09 09:20 AM
    I sent an email to a friend from my blackberry and he said his computer picked up that the email was "suspicious" and he is a computer whiz and says it sounds like my phone has a virus or something..
    09-03-10 04:01 PM
    I sent an email to a friend from my blackberry and he said his computer picked up that the email was "suspicious" and he is a computer whiz and says it sounds like my phone has a virus or something..
    usually that means that the span filter flagged that email. did you try to sell him viagara?
    09-03-10 04:14 PM
    Or was it an offer to "Enlarge Your Breasts"? Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-10 04:24 PM
    I am new to crackberry, and I have a question. Is there any virus protection on a blackberry? If not is there something I could download or buy? Or can you not get a virus?
    I make use of lookout - browse to www dot mylookout.com/features/security.

I find it is a good app. Enjoy.

-t
    09-03-10 10:16 PM
    No I didnt try to sell him neither lol
    09-05-10 04:49 PM
    If you sent the message via BIS what could be "suspicious" is that the return address (the e-mail address that is tied to the BIS account) wasn't the same as the "actual" sender (carrier.blackberry.net), spammers do that all the time, and that could have gotten your message flagged.
    09-05-10 11:23 PM
    Best defense against a Trojan is a box full of Trojans.

Really, if there was an actual virus, worm, trojan and etc. RIM would know and so would a lot of BB user's and especially us abuser's, it would spread like wildfire that the very first actual virus, worm and etc has been found.

Is it possible that someone could in fact develop a virus and what not for the BBOS, yes. All it takes is very good knowledge of the architect, blueprint, coding, server and what not to push one out.

For right now the only threat is from within RIM and those who have direct access to the uber important servers.

I could be absolutely wrong with my thought on this issue but at least I spoke my opinion.

Have a great night and just remember, the best tool against viruses and what not is understanding the internets and never download something that doesn't seem right.

Thnx, �Tripster�

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-10 11:40 PM
    i can sell you a spyware protection app for $149.99

in all seriousness Blackberry's are on the bottom of the list of phones anyone would want to target.

Android (because its open and easier)
    iPhone (its more popular, and more likely an app or site will getting used on the device)
    Windows Mobile (easier to code for windows would have been #1 but they dropped off but with WM7 wouldn't be surprise if they're #1 or #2 as for targets)
    Blackberry and everyone else (no real point browser isn't all that, most people don't download more than a few apps)

even email virus aren't rendered correctly on BB so really no point
    09-06-10 11:37 AM
    Im still using a BB Storm1 and was thinking going Droid but changed my mind for a couple reasons. One was I hear a new Storm is in the works and 6.0 should be on all the new BB's very soon. The other was i feared a virus using a Droid and not with my BB. Anyone think there will be a big virus scare on the Droid phones soon?
    09-06-10 11:50 AM
    I work for a large Anti-Virus vendor, so, perhaps I can add some insight to this..

Cyber criminals are constantly trying to target where the user base is..

We see a lot of malware development around Symbian (obvious marketshare leader).. We are also seeing a large increase of threats targeting the Android OS.. The BlackBerry OS is quite secure, but, most threats really are from phishing type attacks which really doesn't care which platform you are on (URL direct to a malicious website trying to get you to enter your information).

We expect soon that mobile web traffic will exceed that of stand alone PC's/laptops and with that the cyber criminals will target mobile devices more aggressively - especially once we start using our phones as "Credit Cards".

I suspect we will see more malware targeting the actual BES server where the malware could sit inline and capture whatever data they want (passwords, emails, sms's, etc) after the traffic has been decrypted. This would obviously be much more efficient than targeting the actual handsets.
    09-06-10 12:09 PM
    i can sell you a spyware protection app for $149.99

in all seriousness Blackberry's are on the bottom of the list of phones anyone would want to target.

Android (because its open and easier)
    iPhone (its more popular, and more likely an app or site will getting used on the device)
    Windows Mobile (easier to code for windows would have been #1 but they dropped off but with WM7 wouldn't be surprise if they're #1 or #2 as for targets)
    Blackberry and everyone else (no real point browser isn't all that, most people don't download more than a few apps)

even email virus aren't rendered correctly on BB so really no point
    Why is open easier?

If there's one thing we've seen a million times security by obscurity doesn't work.

It is far better to have tens of thousands looking at the code and spotting bugs/potential problems than it is to hopefully hide code from the public.

This is akin to MS Windows and Linux.

Although I'm not actually comparing RIM and Android but the concepts of open vs private.

And on top of that all of the Android code isn't public anyway.

And in answer to the original question no AV product is needed right now for BB.
    09-06-10 03:23 PM
    Why is open easier?

If there's one thing we've seen a million times security by obscurity doesn't work.

It is far better to have tens of thousands looking at the code and spotting bugs/potential problems than it is to hopefully hide code from the public.

This is akin to MS Windows and Linux.

Malware writers go where the systems are plain and simple.. Linux has such a tiny share in the overall picture that it simply is not efficient to write malware for it. Malware writers/Cyber criminals are more interested these days in making money and generally Linux users simply don't make up enough computers for them to be interested in and the small amount of users out there are generally sophisticated enough to avoid downloading malware in a lot cases.

Also, in a lot of cases it's not just the OS that's vulnerable but the software that's on it. Lets look at Adobe for example
    09-06-10 09:50 PM
    Malware writers go where the systems are plain and simple.. Linux has such a tiny share in the overall picture that it simply is not efficient to write malware for it. Malware writers/Cyber criminals are more interested these days in making money and generally Linux users simply don't make up enough computers for them to be interested in and the small amount of users out there are generally sophisticated enough to avoid downloading malware in a lot cases.

Also, in a lot of cases it's not just the OS that's vulnerable but the software that's on it. Lets look at Adobe for example
    That argument simply isn't true and I've seen it wheeled out far too many times.

What do you suppose runs the majority of web servers for instance? Linux if you didn't know.

Now the difference between linux and windows is this, linux was designed from the ground up with security in mind where as Windows was always designed with security as an after thought and also has a mind boggling amount of old code in it to maintain backwards compatability.

If all of the windows computers swapped to linux overnight 98% of current virus/trojan/malware writers would go out of business.

As for talking about things like adobe, the exploit starts from adobe but ultimately it's the OS's fault that it allows it to run under elevated privileges and run the exploit. For instance these exploits wouldn't work on Linux because even if the exploit works it can't run without the user running it as root.

09-07-10 03:10 AM
    fyi, there is no anti virus in bb protect...so that should tell you something...if RIM was worried, wouldn't they include it?
    09-07-10 04:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD