07-04-11 01:02 PM
62 123
tools
    I really think you don't understand what the term profit margin means by this statement,
    RIM has very much maintained their profit margin, and actually has increased it even with it's volumes being down the last quarter,

The fact that RIM sold 13 million units last quarter without releasing a new device speaks volumes to the "millions and millions" of users who want a qwerty phone.

RIM's stock price is reflective of many things, the fact that 40million+ people a year choose RIM devices has little to do with Stock valuation
    RIM's loss of market share initially could be contributed to the market expanding faster than they could develop, AND a completely new market being lumped in with their market, as the Market for an iPhone, was different than the market for a Bold 9000 when both were new, they both were classified as smartphones, but that is the same as classifying a Ford F150 and a Chevy Aveo as cars. they served very different segments.

RIM very much still controls the keyboard device market share, and never did well in the NEW media consumption device market that has been lumped with the smartphone market.

I continue with my stance that the Blackberry QWERTY is the primary reason I am with Blackberry devices still, and the primary reason I just test the waters with other devices and don't go full commitment.

When RIM truly enters the "mini slab" market with a QNX phone, I wish all the power to them, but they best remember that only this last quarter have they lost any growth in the qwerty phone market. and that is entirely their fault for not releasing new devices!
    This is the best I've seen this whole market share situation explained.

Couldn't agree more with the rest too. The 'experts' say RIM needs a big full-featured touch-screen phone in order to stay competitive. But despite their other shortcomings, I believe that the brain trust fully understands that they need to continue to cater to their traditional customer base. The next quarter will be very interesting.
    07-03-11 10:05 PM
    This is the best I've seen this whole market share situation explained.

Couldn't agree more with the rest too. The 'experts' say RIM needs a big full-featured touch-screen phone in order to stay competitive. But despite their other shortcomings, I believe that the brain trust fully understands that they need to continue to cater to their traditional customer base. The next quarter will be very interesting.

I have very high hopes, and put my money where my mouth is that the next 3 quarters will see positive growth by RIM again, BECAUSE I believe that the OS7 qwerty devices will bring excitement back into RIM, even the slim and sexy curve model with its limited hardware should add excitement to the middle manager deployment market, as it will be powerful enough to do more so than the torch, packaged in a sleek small qwerty device. (Plus RIM finally put the headphone jack ontop)

I expect RIM to enter the slab market, very much so, a device 1/3rd the size of the playbook certainly, but their bread and butter will remain the qwerty
    kbz1960 and sleepngbear like this.
    07-03-11 10:40 PM
    i'm soo excited for new Bold Touch and going back to the physical keyboard. I've had the torch since new years and miss the 1 piece comfort i had with the 9000 and can't wait to get the new bold. I've tried using the touch screen keyboard on the torch but it just doesn't feel quite right, i'm sure I'll keep playing with it but i don't see myself getting a bb without the physical keyboard.
    07-03-11 11:15 PM
    If you have to email with accuracy, which I have to, then the physical keyboard is a must. Trying to accurately type on a Storm, iPhone, or any other virtual keyboard is a nightmare. For me, it doesn't matter what some survey says or what the trend is in hot phones, I know from experience. My 9000 had the best keyboard I've ever owned and my 9700 is a close second. The 9900 will be my next work horse and I'm sure there will be a QNX based phone for me in the future.
    07-04-11 07:52 AM
    I think it would be very foolish for RIM to abandon PKbs. Yes, put out some good touchscreen devices if you must, but don't ignore the core.
    07-04-11 08:26 AM
    i hope not thats what makes the blackberry!
    07-04-11 09:10 AM
    It'll take me quite a few months or more to get used to a virtual keyboard at all. I'm so used to a physical one. I'll stick to physical for now and beyond!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ichat likes this.
    07-04-11 09:59 AM
    I bought a BlackBerry for the keyboard. I would never have bought a touchscreen-only device or I would have just gotten an iPhone like everyone else.
    07-04-11 10:58 AM
    if Blackberry were to get rid of their branded physical keyboard and switch to virtual keyboard Blackberry will fall to their knees in front of Android and iOS. Sure they can make a few phones with the virtual keyboard but they MUST keep the physical one.
    07-04-11 11:35 AM
    One has to wonder why there seems to be a lot of androids coming out with a keyboard. I guess they are just trying to attract RIM fans.
    I'd say this is spot-on. My brother has a BB that's about 4 years old or so now. He wants a new phone, and is frustrated with RIM's browser. Though he uses his phone for work, he also wants the media experience of his wife's EVO. (And some other issues, but, yeah.)

Anyway, he has been holding onto his BB until there was a good Android phone with a good querty keyboard. Because this is the phone he uses for business. He needs a physical keyboard. He's used his wife's EVO, but he really does need the physical.
    07-04-11 12:42 PM
    I'd say this is spot-on. My brother has a BB that's about 4 years old or so now. He wants a new phone, and is frustrated with RIM's browser. Though he uses his phone for work, he also wants the media experience of his wife's EVO. (And some other issues, but, yeah.)

Anyway, he has been holding onto his BB until there was a good Android phone with a good querty keyboard. Because this is the phone he uses for business. He needs a physical keyboard. He's used his wife's EVO, but he really does need the physical.
    If he likes his BB but just isn't happy with the browser, tell him to hang on for just another couple of months ... I think we're all going to be pleased with what's coming.
    07-04-11 12:47 PM
    Yeah, that's what I told him. But he actually seems to believe all the BS that RIM is fading fast, so I don't know as I managed to convince him.
    07-04-11 01:02 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD