Congrats on the new 9900. Enjoy it!
    03-28-19 05:11 PM
    I went back to using my iPhone XR for a day after I got BIS terminated on me, but then I found a workaround. By resetting the device to factory and making sure I was on wi-fi when I did it, I logged back in to BBID and was able not to set up email, but to somehow make it so I can look things up in the browser while on wifi at least. I then deleted the BBID account. I made sure not to set up BB protect, because I read that if I had, deleting would brick the device.

Before, it was at a point where I really could ONLY call and text. Now (for now) I can also browse on wi-fi, but I ended up setting parental controls on myself anyway because i don't need it. I think the mobile hotspot to my Mac still works, but I have open wi-fi at work anyway, and I spend most of my time at home. I can still set filters in Outlook so that my important (work) emails get forwarded in email-to-text format to my @Tmomail address so I can see them in an emergency, otherwise I can get them on my computer, which I have access to 90% of the time anyway.

My iPhone was costly, so if my mother doesn't pick it up when she upgrades from her 6 (I'll probably hand my Android-loving dad my Samsung J7) then I'll probably use it again out of obligation to myself. In the meantime, it's nicely tucked away in a drawer with it's older but smaller cousin, the SE, which is locked to Straight Talk until December.

xx NewBerryBlue
    03-29-19 11:11 AM
    May I ask a question please, and please forgive me if it sounds silly....

On a BB10 device, how can I actually perform a backup? I read on another thread about this native app:

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...02894/?lang=en

but I don't have a clue what a CSV or vcf card or file is! And further to that, if I went the extra step and bought the paid app Ultimate Backup for Blackberry 10, what could I do with it then? I mean, where would I back up my phone, and more importantly, how?

Many thanks in advance!
    03-29-19 01:03 PM
    May I ask a question please, and please forgive me if it sounds silly....

On a BB10 device, how can I actually perform a backup? I read on another thread about this native app:

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...02894/?lang=en

but I don't have a clue what a CSV or vcf card or file is! And further to that, if I went the extra step and bought the paid app Ultimate Backup for Blackberry 10, what could I do with it then? I mean, where would I back up my phone, and more importantly, how?

Many thanks in advance!
    Big fan of Ultimate Backup....

Best backup feature, if it works - and while it works, is LINK as it will backup the whole phone including Apps and settings for apps But it's kinda hit and miss on doing restores and it's backup is an encrypted and proprietary archive that is useless without LINK working.

Ultimate Backup will backup your data (but not apps or settings), but not really the whole phone. But the data can be accessed without BlackBerry or another BB10 phone. And it can restore data to your "renewed" BB10 device.
    03-29-19 01:29 PM
    Many thanks for your reply! I will try LINK first; if I remember correctly, I need to download the software to my pc, right? If that doesn't work, I can buy the app from BBW, but how will that help me if things go wrong at some stage, and how do I use this app?
    03-29-19 01:35 PM
    Best backup feature, if it works - and while it works, is LINK as it will backup the whole phone including Apps and settings for apps But it's kinda hit and miss on doing restores and it's backup is an encrypted and proprietary archive that is useless without LINK working.
    To elaborate further, Link requires a BBID to both backup and restore, and that BBID is part of the encryption of the backup file. But that also means a connection to BB's BBID servers is required to perform a restore - and whether or not those BBID servers will remain online - and for how long - is definitely in question (no one here knows the answers to those questions). And, unfortunately, you can't restore BB World apps without a working BBID and BBID server to validate it, which will be an issue once BB World is shut down at the end of the year.
    03-29-19 01:51 PM
    Many thanks for your reply! I will try LINK first; if I remember correctly, I need to download the software to my pc, right? If that doesn't work, I can buy the app from BBW, but how will that help me if things go wrong at some stage, and how do I use this app?
    I used Ultimate Backup to save data to my SD Card (card not encrypted)... and from time to time I moved that info to a PC. And to my OneDrive Account

But I also used OneDrive to sync my important data to the CLOUD.... Picture, Video, Documents and other backup (exports of Password Keeps, Power Tools setting backup.... any App that had it's own backup/export features.

My email was all in the cloud so I never worried about backing up Contacts, Calendar or Email.

Really Ultimate Backup was mostly for SMS/MMS, Phone Logs and as a backup of my backups.

Now in a way... BlackBerry Content Transfer App could also be a backup tool, especially if your next device is an Android.

Real key to backups, is making sure they work and that means trying to access or restore the data a few times. As I said, LINK was great when it worked.... but it often didn't, which meant either a partial restore or no restore... so I never relied on it..
    03-29-19 02:09 PM
    I too, suggest a blackberry 10 device, because there is no issues with BIS being cut on t-mobile.
    Mobile data can work without BIS, just remove those specific servicebooks and reboot. Make sure data is always turned ON.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    03-30-19 09:58 AM
    OP, no earthly mortal really knows the exact date of BIS Armageddon, afaik. But then I'm an earthly mortal myself, so...?? Lol. An impending 3G apocalypse might outpace BIS Armageddon for our beloved 99's ultimate fate. VZW has already ceased to activate CDMA 9930s, for example. Lesson learned "the hard way", last year. lol.

As done countless times, I'd used desktop manager & BBSAK on a Win7 PC to do a full usb backup & transfer into one of my NIB 9930 handsets. All went flawlessly until attempting activation on VZW site. No go per VZW sunset policy. Ok with existing imei so far, tho. SOooo... this dear aging friend received a new screen and Keyboard and continues charming word after word from my enchanted thumb! Lol. Dressed up in her best for her final months, at least. Lol.

Beware, 9900 typing experience may prove seductively addictive! Her charms have a way of generating anticipation for more & more & more typing! The slightest excuse can become a typing marathon! Hence my excessively long posts in these forums. Lol. SOME of us are so hopelessly addicted that we've mastered skill sets permitting typing thru routine daily activities... Such as mealtime, etc... Without slowing a word OR a bite! Hehe.. Thanks to 99's unchallenged single handed proficiency. Imo. For some of us, 9900 represents the ultimate evolutionary achievement of "old school" BB typing addiction. This website's name says it all. Lol.

As an engineer coordinating large and small projects around the globe, leveraging real time typed communications has proven essential to our firm's dominance in our fields. Years of (frequently time sensitive) typed collaboration have my left thumb so hopelessly trained into cognitive speech center that I frequently catch tongue moving with thumb! !!! Is there a name for such neurology? Haha.

SOME of us plan to keep Agent 99 on the job for as long as possible. We suffer no delusions as to the challenges of that commitment, tho. But view such exquisite typing experience as worth the trouble. Check out the 9900 forum. I'd recommend checking @Shuswap 's posts on life without BIS. He's certainly a valued and respected resource. Given the challenges anticipated, adopting a Classic, or something, can make a great deal of sense. K2LE really represents the best typing experience CURRENTLY available, imo. The Ks are also fully capable app appliances. Fwiw.

If, for whatever motives, you're contemplating need for something just a notch up from "flip phone" capabilities, but with the best qwerty typing experience to ever fit a single human hand, the 9900 you've already acquired might fit the need. Just be aware, if given enough opportunity, "Agent 99" might seductively charm your thumb into an addiction that "younger" handsets may never satisfy! !! You've been warned!! Lol.

Btw, onedrive has ceased to function on both my 99 and BB10 stuff. Bluetooth transfer from K's onedrive has been defacto for me in recent months. Fyi. Fwiw.
    03-31-19 06:37 AM
    Btw, onedrive has ceased to function on both my 99 and BB10 stuff. Bluetooth transfer from K's onedrive has been defacto for me in recent months. Fyi. Fwiw.
    Thanks for the shout out @idssteve. I'll check the working and dead apps list on the website to see if we had OneDrive on it. Edit: were you using "Cloud Explorer for One Drive"?

Tapatalk is another recent casualty. It functions if your accounts are already set up (or you have a tapa3.db file with your account information), but the old method of adding forums by URL no longer works.
    03-31-19 08:56 AM
    Thanks for the shout out @idssteve. I'll check the working and dead apps list on the website to see if we had OneDrive on it. Edit: were you using "Cloud Explorer for One Drive"?

Tapatalk is another recent casualty. It functions if your accounts are already set up (or you have a tapa3.db file with your account information), but the old method of adding forums by URL no longer works.
    Yep, my Cloud Explorer for One Drive no longer syncs to cloud on 9900 Also, Onedrive has stopped on my Classic, PassPort & Z30. A real hit to my usecase. "Smart guys" in my crew are doubling down on a Bluetooth solution that links 99 to android "sorta PlayBook remote" style. Still clunky but promising. They have file syncs pretty well happening reliably, already. Which is how we're leveraging K's cloud storage into 99's. Still potential "afterlife" as a fabulous typing appliance, if nothing else. Lol.
    03-31-19 09:59 AM
    Onedrive has stopped on my Classic, PassPort & Z30
    Indeed, the native Connect to OneDrive with File Manager integration has stopped working but you can connect with an android OneDrive app on any BB10 device.
    03-31-19 10:09 AM
    Indeed, the native Connect to OneDrive with File Manager integration has stopped working but you can connect with an android OneDrive app on any BB10 device.
    Good to know... thanks.
    03-31-19 10:20 AM
    The Bold 9900 will be going back. I got a good condition classic for 30 bucks on ebay and it's more suited to my needs as I get email, light browsing, and maps. Main drawback is that I can't get my mp3 collection on it --mac doesn't recognize anything except charging. weather and full outlook intergration comes in handy and the docs-to-go feature is nifty because i don't pay for full office on my laptop.
    04-07-19 05:58 PM
    Main drawback is that I can't get my mp3 collection on it
    Can't you just DropBox, Box or OneDrive them on to your Classic? May take forever if you have a big collection but still doable.
    04-07-19 06:04 PM
    The Bold 9900 will be going back. I got a good condition classic for 30 bucks on ebay and it's more suited to my needs as I get email, light browsing, and maps. Main drawback is that I can't get my mp3 collection on it --mac doesn't recognize anything except charging. weather and full outlook intergration comes in handy and the docs-to-go feature is nifty because i don't pay for full office on my laptop.
    There's libreoffice, or openoffice, for mac. It's free.
    As for the mp3 or other audio collection, use a memory card for that. And a memory card adapter to put the micro SD card into the mac's slot (if any exists). Use that pin thing to open the slot and insert/remove the memory card. Simple realyl.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    04-07-19 06:30 PM
    I'm a fellow Aspie on a BB Classic.

I'm wondering why ya would get a 9900 instead of a Classic or Q10? BB10 still has limited apps, but no BIS and better battery life. I found myself constantly tinkering with my Torch 9810 to do basic things, but BB10 'just works' for the most part. NanoSim also helps when switching devices.

BIS seems to work better for you on T-Mobile than it did for me on ATT.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by johnb_xp; 04-07-19 at 08:40 PM.
    Chuck Finley69 likes this.
    04-07-19 08:26 PM
    I'm a fellow Aspie on a BB Classic.

I'm wondering why ya would get a 9900 instead of a Classic or Q10? BB10 still has limited apps, but no BIS and better battery life. I found myself constantly tinkering with my Torch 9810 to do basic things, but BB10 'just works' for the most part. NanoSim also helps when switching devices.

BIS seems to work better for you on T-Mobile than it did for me on ATT.

Posted via CB10
    I'm actually on a classic now and you are 100% correct. I returned the 9900. I had bought it initially because I thought it would be cheaper. But I only ended up paying 30 for my classic when the 9900 had been 64. It does what I need it to do, and it keeps me less distracted when I don't want to be. I can tether it to my Mac for the big jobs on long car rides, although I had been able to do that with the Bold already. I just prefer + kinda need my emails. Blackberry World is already dead and none of the apps work, but I just don't care. They aren't necessary. I might look something up on Maps, and I am SO relieved that my outlook calendar/notes/reminders/contacts automatically sync. For some reason Gmail contacts don't sync, but the mail and other stuff does and I had the same people on both accounts so it's all good.

The most PIA thing I've experienced in the last couple of days is having to contact iPhone users on iMessage to tell them to change their settings because I wasn't receiving SMS from them. Something to do with them not having the "send as sms when iMessage is not available" turned on and/or them having my number listed under "iPhone" rather than "mobile." It's been a bumpy start but I'm determined to maximize my productivity at my new job, which I am really passionate about and can't afford to mess up.
    04-09-19 10:53 AM
    Blackberry World is already dead and none of the apps work, but I just don't care. They aren't necessary. I might look something up on Maps,

For some reason Gmail contacts don't sync, but the mail and other stuff does and I had the same people on both accounts so it's all good.
    BlackBerry World is not quite dead yet and apps seem to work fine for me.

Instructions to get your Gmail contacts to sync are here.

Posted via CB10
    johnb_xp likes this.
    04-09-19 11:06 AM
    NBB,

You need to deregister your phone number from iMessage. A web search should give you instructions, but until you do, Apple users won't be able to message you as Apple directs those messages to iMessage until you deregister.
    04-09-19 07:09 PM
    It is not only BlackBerry World that is shifting down. BlackBerry is shutting down the NOC that used for BBOS devices so essentially all BIS/BES traffic no longer work.
    04-09-19 08:27 PM
    Hi, I just got my first real BB (used/refurbished Bold 9900) in the mail. I'm generally a tinkering, switching it up kind of person. I currently also own an iPhone XR (product red edition), an iPhone SE, a Samsung Galaxy J7, a BLU Studio Selfie 2, a Huawei Prism II, and a Nokia 105. Other devices previously owned included: Samsung Gravity 3, Alcatel Cliq, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6s, Blackberry 8600?, and iPhone X, those I no longer have.

I have Asperger's and ADHD as well as OCD and with my more modern smartphones, I was getting overwhelmed--I have a tendency to delete and re-install apps, join and un-join social media, browse the web on unsavory websites for hours, obsess over wallpaper and themes, take too many pictures, stream too much, etc.

The most important things I need a phone for are calling and texting, obviously, which is why I originally got the Nokia 105. It was only. I did like it and it was cute (a bar phone) but I had to give it up because texts from all people on the AT&T network would not go through for some reason and that's what my two best friends have.

So I went back to using my XR, in a locked down, parental controls mode. I am twenty three, but still live at home. and use parent's phone plan. My mom was annoyed by me asking her to do this. Continued to have problems with overuse, and the new Screen Time thing which tells me how long I've been on stresses me.

So, I knew that aside from calling and texting, I really kinda need email for work stuff that I receive, and the ability to open my work documents. I have been using the 9900 for the last few hours and it's pretty great. I don't see myself using the clunky web browser and grainy camera very much, and that's definitely a good thing in my case. It allows me to put my own ringtone which iPhone does not unless I pay. It was very easy and I only had to plug the phone to my Mac and drag the file inside.

The main dilemma I have is the email setup. I got my Microsoft Outlook email which is for my professional website (I have my personal Gmail forwarded to the outlook) set up perfectly on the mail app, but I had to sign up on RIM website, because I was tinkering with Logicmail and I could not get it to work.

Luckily, it works great now and T-Mobile are definitely liars if they say these devices will not work on a modern plan. But I do know about Dec. 31st coming and the BB rim shut down. I am aware that if I do not get Logicmail to work by then, it will be texting and calling only.

This really is a good device for my needs, albeit old. I need a communicator, not a powerhouse. I would hate only to have a few months with it. Could anyone give me an idea of which settings to use for a hosted outlook account on LogicMail for when time runs out?

xx NewBerryBlue
    You sound a lot like myself! Been a bb user since high-school and I love em! Currently I'm using the bb KEYone however randomly I purchase gently used old school blackberries from e-bay just to play with them. Man how I wish the KEY series somehow embedded a trackball!

I recently purchased a bb Torch 9810 and I'm having trouble with email as well. I have gmail and outlook but there's no option for that. How did you add your accounts? Also, have you updated your devices software and if so how?? Thanks!
    04-18-19 10:51 PM
    You sound a lot like myself! Been a bb user since high-school and I love em! Currently I'm using the bb KEYone however randomly I purchase gently used old school blackberries from e-bay just to play with them. Man how I wish the KEY series somehow embedded a trackball!

I recently purchased a bb Torch 9810 and I'm having trouble with email as well. I have gmail and outlook but there's no option for that. How did you add your accounts? Also, have you updated your devices software and if so how?? Thanks!

Have a look at this website: http://darkstar.x10host.com/nibble

Be aware that the encryption on BBOS is very out of date and that -- while you can get things like email working -- the device is insecure.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Forums v1.3.3.
    idssteve likes this.
    04-19-19 05:43 PM
    I went back to using my iPhone XR for a day after I got BIS terminated on me, but then I found a workaround....
    xx NewBerryBlue
    I came to this thread thinking you had the inside story on the newest BlackBerry device for 2020 or something..."The Armageddon" (perhaps a bb10 device lol). But alas it wasn't a product announcement leak. Anyways BlackBerry this month announced they've extended bb10/bbos device functionality beyond Dec 31 2019, but did not specify an end date.
    08-15-19 10:49 AM
49 12