Hi, I just got my first real BB (used/refurbished Bold 9900) in the mail. I'm generally a tinkering, switching it up kind of person. I currently also own an iPhone XR (product red edition), an iPhone SE, a Samsung Galaxy J7, a BLU Studio Selfie 2, a Huawei Prism II, and a Nokia 105. Other devices previously owned included: Samsung Gravity 3, Alcatel Cliq, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6s, Blackberry 8600?, and iPhone X, those I no longer have.

I have Asperger's and ADHD as well as OCD and with my more modern smartphones, I was getting overwhelmed--I have a tendency to delete and re-install apps, join and un-join social media, browse the web on unsavory websites for hours, obsess over wallpaper and themes, take too many pictures, stream too much, etc.

The most important things I need a phone for are calling and texting, obviously, which is why I originally got the Nokia 105. It was only. I did like it and it was cute (a bar phone) but I had to give it up because texts from all people on the AT&T network would not go through for some reason and that's what my two best friends have.

So I went back to using my XR, in a locked down, parental controls mode. I am twenty three, but still live at home. and use parent's phone plan. My mom was annoyed by me asking her to do this. Continued to have problems with overuse, and the new Screen Time thing which tells me how long I've been on stresses me.

So, I knew that aside from calling and texting, I really kinda need email for work stuff that I receive, and the ability to open my work documents. I have been using the 9900 for the last few hours and it's pretty great. I don't see myself using the clunky web browser and grainy camera very much, and that's definitely a good thing in my case. It allows me to put my own ringtone which iPhone does not unless I pay. It was very easy and I only had to plug the phone to my Mac and drag the file inside.

The main dilemma I have is the email setup. I got my Microsoft Outlook email which is for my professional website (I have my personal Gmail forwarded to the outlook) set up perfectly on the mail app, but I had to sign up on RIM website, because I was tinkering with Logicmail and I could not get it to work.

Luckily, it works great now and T-Mobile are definitely liars if they say these devices will not work on a modern plan. But I do know about Dec. 31st coming and the BB rim shut down. I am aware that if I do not get Logicmail to work by then, it will be texting and calling only.

This really is a good device for my needs, albeit old. I need a communicator, not a powerhouse. I would hate only to have a few months with it. Could anyone give me an idea of which settings to use for a hosted outlook account on LogicMail for when time runs out?

xx NewBerryBlue
    03-25-19 02:24 PM
    Hi, I just got my first real BB (used/refurbished Bold 9900) in the mail. I'm generally a tinkering, switching it up kind of person. I currently also own an iPhone XR (product red edition), an iPhone SE, a Samsung Galaxy J7, a BLU Studio Selfie 2, a Huawei Prism II, and a Nokia 105. Other devices previously owned included: Samsung Gravity 3, Alcatel Cliq, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6s, Blackberry 8600?, and iPhone X, those I no longer have.

I have Asperger's and ADHD as well as OCD and with my more modern smartphones, I was getting overwhelmed--I have a tendency to delete and re-install apps, join and un-join social media, browse the web on unsavory websites for hours, obsess over wallpaper and themes, take too many pictures, stream too much, etc.

The most important things I need a phone for are calling and texting, obviously, which is why I originally got the Nokia 105. It was only. I did like it and it was cute (a bar phone) but I had to give it up because texts from all people on the AT&T network would not go through for some reason and that's what my two best friends have.

So I went back to using my XR, in a locked down, parental controls mode. I am twenty three, but still live at home. and use parent's phone plan. My mom was annoyed by me asking her to do this. Continued to have problems with overuse, and the new Screen Time thing which tells me how long I've been on stresses me.

So, I knew that aside from calling and texting, I really kinda need email for work stuff that I receive, and the ability to open my work documents. I have been using the 9900 for the last few hours and it's pretty great. I don't see myself using the clunky web browser and grainy camera very much, and that's definitely a good thing in my case. It allows me to put my own ringtone which iPhone does not unless I pay. It was very easy and I only had to plug the phone to my Mac and drag the file inside.

The main dilemma I have is the email setup. I got my Microsoft Outlook email which is for my professional website (I have my personal Gmail forwarded to the outlook) set up perfectly on the mail app, but I had to sign up on RIM website, because I was tinkering with Logicmail and I could not get it to work.

Luckily, it works great now and T-Mobile are definitely liars if they say these devices will not work on a modern plan. But I do know about Dec. 31st coming and the BB rim shut down. I am aware that if I do not get Logicmail to work by then, it will be texting and calling only.

This really is a good device for my needs, albeit old. I need a communicator, not a powerhouse. I would hate only to have a few months with it. Could anyone give me an idea of which settings to use for a hosted outlook account on LogicMail for when time runs out?

xx NewBerryBlue
    Hey New,

First, it's important to clarify a few things:

1. We only KNOW that Blackberry World will be shutting down on 12/31/2019. There is no evidence whatsoever, despite the implications of some posts on this site, that anything else (including BIS, which governs Internet access on BBOS devices) will shut down.

2. If however BIS does shut down at some point, or is no longer supported by your carrier (T-Mobile it seems), then you would only be able to connect to your e-mail on wireless, as data connectivity would no longer work regardless of settings or type of e-mail account.

3. As far as which settings to use, the main question is where your Outlook e-mail is hosted. Is it Office 365? Rackspace? Some other IMAP-based setup? That is what will determine settings, and since we have no way of knowing that we'll need more information to be able to assist with that question specifically.

Feel free to ping us with any more questions however; there are some of us who are still here to help with BBOS and BB10 as much as possible!
    03-25-19 06:38 PM

xx NewBerryBlue
    You may even want to look into a completely locked-down simple device like the Punkt:

https://www.punkt.ch/en/products/mp02-4g-mobile-phone/

No worries about BlackBerry BIS with this device - it doesn't need it.
    03-25-19 06:45 PM
    It's an Exchange account hosted by GoDaddy. It reads like [email protected] basically. Comes with a 365 subscription. I just got it a couple of months ago. Like I said, working fine on BIS at the moment.
    03-25-19 07:11 PM
    I've looked into it. Still on pre-order in the US, and way too expensive for a phone that can't do email. My Nokia 105 has the same features, although made from plastic, for less than ten percent of what a Punkt is. Note again, I did stop using it for valid reasons. The Punkt is a tempting phone though. But I'm a little bit anti-Android to a degree, after being in Apple's ecosystem most of the time for 10+ years.
    03-25-19 07:14 PM
    I've looked into it. Still on pre-order in the US, and way too expensive for a phone that can't do email. My Nokia 105 has the same features, although made from plastic, for less than ten percent of what a Punkt is. Note again, I did stop using it for valid reasons. The Punkt is a tempting phone though. But I'm a little bit anti-Android to a degree, after being in Apple's ecosystem most of the time for 10+ years.
    You can allow your tablet to tether and receive email on the go. But I was going on this statement when I made the recommendation: "The most important things I need a phone for are calling and texting."

The Punkt is technically Android, but it is so locked down and compartmentalized that there are zero security concerns - particularly as it employs BlackBerry Secure technology.

But yes, it's expensive.
    03-25-19 08:28 PM
    I don't blame you for being anti-Android NewBerry. I'd be concerned about the Punkt as well, as Android devices--even those that are theoretically locked down--have been known to have security concerns due to the nature of the Android OS.

Were I you I'd consider a Blackberry Passport or Classic if you're concerned about being tethered to BIS, but failing that, keep rocking that 9900 as long as you want!
    03-25-19 08:36 PM
    It's an Exchange account hosted by GoDaddy. It reads like [email protected] basically. Comes with a 365 subscription. I just got it a couple of months ago. Like I said, working fine on BIS at the moment.
    That should continue to work with no trouble then post 12/31/2019. Anything working now that is not Blackberry World-related should continue to work with no issue come 1/1/2020.
    03-25-19 08:37 PM
    Android devices--even those that are theoretically locked down--have been known to have security concerns due to the nature of the Android OS.
    Please provide some backup for this statement. The Punkt isn't just locked down - it's essentially just a hardened kernel with a few apps, with full root of trust and secure bootchain. Plus, there is no data component.

Even the test-bench, theoretical vulnerabilities associated with a pre-patched media framework don't apply.
    03-25-19 08:39 PM
    Please provide some backup for this statement. The Punkt isn't just locked down - it's essentially just a hardened kernel with a few apps, with full root of trust and secure bootchain.

Even the test-bench, theoretical vulnerabilities associated with a pre-patched media framework don't apply.
    Off the cuff, this article makes reference to firmware flaws that can make Android vulnerable out of the box:

https://www.wired.com/story/android-...ut-of-the-box/

While this admittedly does not refer specifically to the Punkt, it details weaknesses in root of trust:

https://www.blackhat.com/asia-19/bri...software-13950

If you have any backup that doesn't come from Blackberry Mobile or Punkt themselves concerning the security of the device, feel free to present it.

However, as noted on other threads that seem to devolve: perhaps we should let the OP evaluate each of our statements and make their own decision rather than take the thread off course.
    03-25-19 08:45 PM
    Off the cuff, this article makes reference to firmware flaws that can make Android vulnerable out of the box:

https://www.wired.com/story/android-...ut-of-the-box/

While this admittedly does not refer specifically to the Punkt, it details weaknesses in root of trust:

https://www.blackhat.com/asia-19/bri...software-13950

If you have any backup that doesn't come from Blackberry Mobile or Punkt themselves concerning the security of the device, feel free to present it.

However, as noted on other threads that seem to devolve: perhaps we should let the OP evaluate each of our statements and make their own decision rather than take the thread off course.
    As you indicate, neither of these apply to the Punkt. Nor BlackBerry Android for that matter.
    03-25-19 08:47 PM
    As you indicate, neither of these apply to the Punkt.
    On the contrary, the first article talks about Android phones in general and firmware vulnerabilities, which would apply to the Punkt since it runs Android. The second article specifically refutes your contention on root of trust.

I also note that you provide no backup as requested.

Can we get back to the OP's questions and needs now?
    03-25-19 08:49 PM
    On the contrary, the first article talks about Android phones in general and firmware vulnerabilities, which would apply to the Punkt since it runs Android. The second article specifically refutes your contention on root of trust.

I also note that you provide no backup as requested.

Can we get back to the OP's questions and needs now?
    Neither of your articles provide any specific info either. "Some" this, and "some" that....
    03-25-19 08:50 PM
    Neither of your articles provide any specific info either. "Some" this, and "some" that....
    I'm assuming the answer to my question about getting back to the OP's questions and needs is "no."

You asked for me to provide backup for my comments. I did, addressing your contentions about Android's security and the root of trust. I asked you to provide backup. You did not.

The OP can evaluate our comments and make their own decision, assuming we can redirect the thread to that purpose.
    03-25-19 08:52 PM
    I'm assuming the answer to my question about getting back to the OP's questions and needs is "no."

You asked for me to provide backup for my comments. I did, addressing your contentions about Android's security and the root of trust. I asked you to provide backup. You did not.

The OP can evaluate our comments and make their own decision, assuming we can redirect the thread to that purpose.
    Your article discusses a theoretical hack to possibly "bypass a specific implementation of Intel Boot Guard technology".

What phone uses Intel?
    03-25-19 08:53 PM
    "bypass a specific implementation of Intel Boot Guard technology"

What phone uses Intel?
    You asked for backup regarding root of trust. I provided such backup, admitting that it did not relate specifically to the Punkt. It is an example of how "root of trust" is not as secure as is often claimed.

Again....the OP can evaluate our comments and make their own decision, if and when the thread can be redirected to that purpose.
    03-25-19 08:56 PM
    You asked for backup regarding root of trust. I provided such backup, admitting that it did not relate specifically to the Punkt. It is an example of how "root of trust" is not as secure as is often claimed.

Again....the OP can evaluate our comments and make their own decision, if and when the thread can be redirected to that purpose.
    And I answered that it had no bearing on either Punkt or BlackBerry Android.
    03-25-19 08:57 PM
    And I answered that it had no bearing on either Punkt or BlackBerry Android.
    You have certainly done that now. The OP is free to evaluate my statements and yours and make their own decision, if this thread can ever get back on track.
    03-25-19 08:59 PM
    You have certainly done that now. The OP is free to evaluate my statements and yours and make their own decision, if this thread can ever get back on track.
    I'll bring it back myself. ...my email has started having issues 24 hours later. Went to send out (2) emails, the first went through.

Second one brought up the error "general failure." At first, I thought it was a problem with that specific recipient because our personal relationship is not the best. I figured they had blocked my email address after a prior exchange last month. But I tried again with my mother's email, and it did the same thing.

The only thing that's different is that I shut off my Wi-Fi connection to just use data, as my Comcast cable internet was being shoddy again. But, I am pretty sure I sent the first successful email while using the data-only option. T-Mobile hasn't found me out/pulled any BIS B.S., because I can still use the browser to access the Internet. A weird little quirk about that is Google keeps saying things like "Gamba" on it and seems to think I live in the Middle East, and not on the East Coast of the US. I'm assuming my phone may have came from a different country, I guess.

I've read that this particular issue is with Microsoft email accounts only, so I suppose if I needed to, I could switch to having my professional email forwarded to my personal, which is on Gmail, instead of the reverse, but my co-workers might giggle at me for using my cats' combined names as an email handle.

I'd like some help with this issue for the time being, but I will try to turn on my (now working) Wi-Fi first to see if I can send via that. If that's the case I could always go hotspot for email sending on my Outlook for Mac program, and just use BIS email as a receptacle to view my messages and decide whether they are urgent enough to warrant the former.

You guys must think I'm nuts for not just returning it while I can and going back to my shiny new red iPhone, but I was serious when I said that I need to maintain control over my level of device usage.

xx NewBerryBlue
    03-26-19 11:21 AM
    I think I hexxed myself. T-Mobile has terminated by BIS service and I can now only access Internet in the browser, when Wi-Fi is on....
    03-26-19 12:57 PM
    I think I hexxed myself. T-Mobile has terminated by BIS service and I can now only access Internet in the browser, when Wi-Fi is on....
    If that's the case, make sure to check out this article...https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ut-bis-996682/

Sad truth is no one really knows the future of both BBOS and BB10... as one is already EOL and the other soon will be. BlackBerry Ltd. biggest issue is revenues... so if Chen could clear a few million by shutting down both support systems... I would not put money on how long they have.
    03-26-19 01:43 PM
    I'll bring it back myself. ...my email has started having issues 24 hours later. Went to send out (2) emails, the first went through.

Second one brought up the error "general failure." At first, I thought it was a problem with that specific recipient because our personal relationship is not the best. I figured they had blocked my email address after a prior exchange last month. But I tried again with my mother's email, and it did the same thing.

The only thing that's different is that I shut off my Wi-Fi connection to just use data, as my Comcast cable internet was being shoddy again. But, I am pretty sure I sent the first successful email while using the data-only option. T-Mobile hasn't found me out/pulled any BIS B.S., because I can still use the browser to access the Internet. A weird little quirk about that is Google keeps saying things like "Gamba" on it and seems to think I live in the Middle East, and not on the East Coast of the US. I'm assuming my phone may have came from a different country, I guess.

I've read that this particular issue is with Microsoft email accounts only, so I suppose if I needed to, I could switch to having my professional email forwarded to my personal, which is on Gmail, instead of the reverse, but my co-workers might giggle at me for using my cats' combined names as an email handle.

I'd like some help with this issue for the time being, but I will try to turn on my (now working) Wi-Fi first to see if I can send via that. If that's the case I could always go hotspot for email sending on my Outlook for Mac program, and just use BIS email as a receptacle to view my messages and decide whether they are urgent enough to warrant the former.

You guys must think I'm nuts for not just returning it while I can and going back to my shiny new red iPhone, but I was serious when I said that I need to maintain control over my level of device usage.

xx NewBerryBlue
    Hey New,

I don't think you're crazy at all...I think you know what you want and are trying to use it!

I would suggest upgrading to a BB10 device (perhaps a Classic to get close to the Bold 9900 experience) to avoid the BIS problem that seems to have now presented itself, as well as allow for easy Microsoft Exchange e-mail handling via ActiveSync. While many on CB claim we have no idea what will happen, BB10 devices have been tested and confirmed to work with no trouble no matter what Blackberry decides to shut down (and they have only confirmed they are shutting down Blackberry World). Furthermore, Blackberry Limited itself is on record saying BB10 devices will continue to work with no issues after the Blackberry World shutdown on 12/31/2019.

With that said DDD's thread is a great resource for using BBOS without BIS if you want to go that route. However, please know that while Exchange ActiveSync (so Microsoft e-mail) can be a little wonky with BBOS it works swimmingly with BB10. It's all a question of what works best for you.
    03-26-19 02:51 PM
    For you needs a usage find and try a BlackBerry Classic as noted. (I say this because you seem to like the size of the 9900) A GSM BlackBerry Classic will work perfectly well for all things, text, calls and emails on T-Mobile. It will even use their WiFi calling features.
    03-26-19 03:52 PM
    BIS on ATT works just fine. I use a 9900. For Logicmail, check out Shuswap’s threads over on the 9900 forums. There’s a workaround to make email work on Logicmail.
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    03-26-19 07:41 PM
    Hi, I just got my first real BB

The main dilemma I have is the email setup.
    Well, not to feed your OCD, but here's a link to my website: The Bold Explorer. It's an updated version of the thread that @TrumpetTiger posted.

You should find the answers to most of your questions there. I'm not sure about using your exchange account with LogicMail. If you could post the IMAP settings, we might be able to get it working. If not, you could always open a new outlook.com account and use the forwarding workaround described on the site.

The best thing about the Bold is that it gets out of the way and lets you get on with your day. I use it for the contacts, calendar, tasks and memos, listen to a few podcasts on the drive to work, and read a book when I'm bored. So if you want to disconnect, it's your device.

P.S. you'll come to love the potato-cam. Everyone looks good in blur mode.
    03-26-19 08:44 PM
49 12