We would like to invite a couple of Blackberry users to test a new video streaming service which is non-app based.

If you like to participate, please send me a PM and I will send you the link.

We need users from ALL carries (worldwide) and all 3G or 3G/WiFi capable phones.

H.

I'd like to try. How would you like to send the link?
    08-26-10 08:23 AM
    I'd like to try. How would you like to send the link?
    ^^ Read above. You send me a PM and I return with a link or you pay attention and find the link posted within this tread. Additional content is available on request.
    08-27-10 02:31 AM
    I'm with Virgin Mobile (Sprint), using a Curve. It didn't work for me.
    08-27-10 06:21 AM
    Very high quality videos! Unfortunately quite a battery drainer. Was at 34% battery on my 9700 and only made it 32 minutes into the Yes Men movie. I guess exceptional battery life isn't really expected with video streaming though.

Regardless, thanks for the awesome site.
    08-27-10 07:49 AM
    If you're still looking for testers I'd be interested in trying it out.
    08-27-10 09:49 AM
    If you're still looking for testers I'd be interested in trying it out.
    Check near the end of page 3 on this thread. Everyone can be a tester.
    08-27-10 10:13 AM
    I'm with Virgin Mobile (Sprint), using a Curve. It didn't work for me.
    What error message do you get? I noticed that some BB's from Sprint, Boost or Virgin Mobile work and some not so it could be an OS issue.

Are you able to update your OS?
    08-27-10 12:12 PM
    This seems to be working very well with my Tour through Verizon.
    08-27-10 12:32 PM
    Not sure why some BB Curves from VM work and some not. Could be a software issue (Firmware?)
    08-27-10 01:15 PM
    What error message do you get? I noticed that some BB's from Sprint, Boost or Virgin Mobile work and some not so it could be an OS issue.

Are you able to update your OS?
    I didn't get an error message. Just a blank screen. My OS is 5.0.0.601. I tried downloading Desktop Manager so I could maybe update the OS but DM froze my computer. Have been toying with the idea of trying DM 5 and see if I have better luck with that.
    08-28-10 12:39 AM
    As someone who runs a streaming video website myself; +1. MP4 quality looks great. From a technical aspect, I'm wondering how you got the loading time so quick (less than 20 seconds between clicking the link and starting playback on a 1hr 35min file!), and what encoding software you used. Larger videos on my website had to be broken down into multiple parts to reduce load times here. Also looks like an excellent compression ratio. Tested on a 9700 here on wifi (local 2G service isn't capable of streaming anything). I'd understand if they are trade secrets, but I'd love to get a technical discussion going if possible- here, PM, or email.
    08-28-10 01:23 AM
    As someone who runs a streaming video website myself; +1. MP4 quality looks great. From a technical aspect, I'm wondering how you got the loading time so quick (less than 20 seconds between clicking the link and starting playback on a 1hr 35min file!), and what encoding software you used. Larger videos on my website had to be broken down into multiple parts to reduce load times here. Also looks like an excellent compression ratio. Tested on a 9700 here on wifi (local 2G service isn't capable of streaming anything). I'd understand if they are trade secrets, but I'd love to get a technical discussion going if possible- here, PM, or email.
    Thank you and I always appreciated positive feedback. We don't break down any file and our playout can handle even live or scheduled programming. You could be lucky as we have feedback that our service works on some 2G services. I tested it here in L.A. on MetroPCS and got the stream to work.

If you like, you can always text me (you find the number on the test site) and we can talk about the technical issues.

Btw. I hope you noticed that we allow fast forward and rewind on your phone as well.
    08-28-10 04:42 AM
    Ah, I can answer some of my own questions after taking a look at the stream specs. Seems to be a roughly 250kbps VBR stream using H264 video (that accounts for the good picture quality). I personally find the 60 fps and 48000 Hz stereo AAC to be overkill on mobile devices... both can probably be lowered without any noticeable difference if you wanted to save bandwidth, unless it's for compatibility purposes. Whatever encoder you're using works pretty well- very little movement pixelation. I'm guessing it was processed with multi-pass. And doh! My videos on demand are webhosted, so of course require large buffer times. Obviously you're using an RTSP server, so don't have that issue Should have realized that, I wasn't thinking. A proper server is always better; as you said, fast forward and rewind work.

The 2G here is quite miserable. Supposedly it's Edge, but on a good day it's nearly twice dial-up speed. Even audio streaming is difficult. I wish that Verizon offered the Bold 9700 so I could switch from T-Mobile to a decent carrier.

Do you have any plans to offer live streams?
    08-28-10 05:20 AM
    You are sooooooo off the settings we use and would be quite shocked how we are able to do what we do.

In addition to stream video, we can do audio and I am able to stream a nice audio feed even on the iDen Network. This is something we do for South America.

The real key component is the security behind the streams as we are able to secure each and every stream and protect the content from piracy. Although not activated, we can do a lot more as you can see.

Feel free to contact me via PIN or PM if you like and since you are in the U.S. drop me your number and we can chat via phone.
    08-28-10 03:21 PM
    You are sooooooo off the settings we use and would be quite shocked how we are able to do what we do.

In addition to stream video, we can do audio and I am able to stream a nice audio feed even on the iDen Network. This is something we do for South America.

The real key component is the security behind the streams as we are able to secure each and every stream and protect the content from piracy. Although not activated, we can do a lot more as you can see.

Feel free to contact me via PIN or PM if you like and since you are in the U.S. drop me your number and we can chat via phone.
    I'm excited to see what you guys do with this ...
    08-28-10 03:33 PM
    We have plans for onDemand and Live programming (adult and non-adult) and our goal is to offer the customer what he demands. I am not lying if I say adult streaming currently makes about 70% of the traffic but I want to offer additional movies on the go and negotiate with some major studios for the rights as we can secure their content against piracy.

Btw. all streams are delivered in 150kbs and the streaming server has been enhanced in-house to make sure to deliver the best results.
    08-28-10 05:03 PM
    Mine keeps buffering and when it does play, it is real blurry...it might be the settings in my phone, I don't know, but gave up after a few minutes.

On TMobile on OS .714....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-10 12:51 PM
    Opps, nevermind, I imagine it was because I was on 2G? I will try again when I get home on my wifi...should work well then.

Will this ever work on 2G or just wifi/3G?

08-29-10 12:53 PM

Sorry, maybe my app was wrong. I just guesstimated the bitrate based on the reported high and low bandwidth peaks. I did see your protection system, which is very important. I've noticed other stream services switching to similar methods to avoid unauthorized sharing of rtsp links. While it might not be important to end-users, from a host's point of view it's essential for protecting the content value (not to mention bandwidth).

150k is really impressive. I started playing around with low-bandwidth streaming years back as a hobby (probably silly and outdated now, but as I did this half a decade ago, it was pretty cutting-edge). About six months after that, I was using an x264/AAC NSV concoction at 200k. Amazing results for its day, but of course back then it wasn't nearly mainstream enough for widespread mobile use.

Audio streams in ACC are very nice- even 32k or lower streams can sound quite acceptable. Things have sure changed from the days of MP3- or heaven forbid, Real Media
    08-29-10 01:19 PM
    Mine keeps buffering and when it does play, it is real blurry...it might be the settings in my phone, I don't know, but gave up after a few minutes.

On TMobile on OS .714....

We are playing with the servers at the moment and I am going to make some 2G tests later as soon the service is running. At the moment we are focused on 3G and up but I know what pain 2G can be (I have T-Mobile too) but I am always happy with Sprint or Verizon in these areas.

Opps, nevermind, I imagine it was because I was on 2G? I will try again when I get home on my wifi...should work well then.

Will this ever work on 2G or just wifi/3G?

We have some RTT1x Networks (2G) that will support the stream. The major problem is the bitrate on EDGE vs. 1x, which supports higher speeds (on a continues level)

Sorry, maybe my app was wrong. I just guesstimated the bitrate based on the reported high and low bandwidth peaks.
    We let the network find its optimum speed but require a baseline of 150kbs.

I did see your protection system, which is very important. I've noticed other stream services switching to similar methods to avoid unauthorized sharing of rtsp links. While it might not be important to end-users, from a host's point of view it's essential for protecting the content value (not to mention bandwidth).
    This will be quite important for the end user as we can work with very low prices if we don't loose money due to piracy. We have to pay for content and need to make sure the bottom line is okay as well.

150k is really impressive. I started playing around with low-bandwidth streaming years back as a hobby (probably silly and outdated now, but as I did this half a decade ago, it was pretty cutting-edge). About six months after that, I was using an x264/AAC NSV concoction at 200k. Amazing results for its day, but of course back then it wasn't nearly mainstream enough for widespread mobile use.
    I started in 2006 with streaming and we started with 2G streaming and early 3G streaming. Good times... but I don't miss 48Kbs streams. Look at MobiTV, they still use 128Kbs to offer their service.

Audio streams in ACC are very nice- even 32k or lower streams can sound quite acceptable. Things have sure changed from the days of MP3- or heaven forbid, Real Media
    We use higher audio quality than 32k just because it completes the audio/visual experience.
    08-30-10 01:06 PM
    I will be adding additional content today in the evening to the mainstream site. We hope you like what you see.
    09-03-10 12:11 PM
    I will be adding additional content today in the evening to the mainstream site. We hope you like what you see.

Forgot to push the new site and finally got some additional content online.

We are closing the beta on September 30, 2010 and prepare for launch of our two services.

09-05-10 02:08 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD