Hi folks,

I have multiple unlocked devices and wanted the freedom to use them all. I did a bit of research before and watched CrackBerry Kevin's awesome video about his experience ripping the gold pins out of his brand new BlackBerry phone with a SIM Card Adapter. So Kevin's bad luck saved a lot of people... lots of positive Karma points! I was able to avoid the problem and figured out a solution on how to save your phone if it happens to you! I posted a video below showing a CHEAP SIM card adapter purchased off ebay, and how it is used:

01-20-14 12:22 PM
    Hi, I forgot to link in Kevin's original video which prompted this....

And if this happens to you, here is the SOLUTION (hopefully after you see these videos above it won't happen in the first place)! First, DO NOT PULL THE ADAPTER with any amount of force or you will break the pins. You have these 6 little windows in the slot which you can see the gold pins through. What you need to do is stick a tiny needle or pin (you may want to blunt the end) THROUGH the windows and carefully push down the first row of 3 gold pins while you carefully try slide your SIM card adapter out.

You will ruin your SIM card adapter a bit because there is a thin plastic clear membrane on the back which you have to poke through. But it is better than killing your phone. Also, the holes in the clear membrane will likely not ruin it totally, you can probably still use the adatper anyways. You may even have to figure out a way to press all 3 gold pins at the same time, but usually with a little back-and-forth pressing a bit at a time on each of them you will eventually slide the adapter past the first set of 3 gold pins.

Then you continue and you can use the same technique to slide your SIM adapter past the next set of 3 gold pins. You will be poking your needle through the same holes you made in the adapter, so in the end you will still only have 3 holes in the clear plastic membrane on your SIM card adapter. But like I said before, even if you ruin your adapter... it is only 99 cents. Better than killing your phone costing you hundreds!

Hope that helps someone but usually once it happens people are too quick to remove the card and kill their phone before they have time to read up on a solution. And if you read this post before it happens, well then you prevent it in the first place! So thanks to CrackBerry Kevin for letting us all know first and saving us from a lot of ruined phones!
    01-20-14 12:28 PM
    Actually I once wasn't paying attention & ended up with the same problem, but I found a simpler way to fix the problem. Pull the SIM out until it's touching the pins. DO NOT pull on the pins! Then grab the middle piece that fell out & slide it into the slot. Problem solved. You now have the 2 pieces of your SIM back together

Posted via CB10
    EdY likes this.
    01-20-14 12:48 PM
    Hey BBPandy,

Nice solution!!! There should be enough room there to be able to sneakily slide in the nano SIM into the adapter through whatever part of the middle hole is exposed, and that will push down the pins enough to let you slide the rest out. Good tip, but it depends on the adapter.

For example, that solution may not work for my adapter as there is a plastic membrane covering one side. In that case, if you have access you have to cut a hole in the plastic because there is no way to insert the middle "nano" SIM into the adapter when the adapter is stuck in the phone... It would only be accessible from the other side. So you must have an adapter that doesn't have a plastic membrane covering the entire side... Then you could possibly slip the nano card in.
    Last edited by edyb; 01-20-14 at 01:10 PM. Reason: different adapter
    01-20-14 01:01 PM
    Edyb
    Yea all my adapters don't have that stupid membrane. I find that it's more trouble then it's worth. What's the point of having a cover on the top when gravity pulls down? lol ...also, it makes your SIM slightly thicker

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 01:27 PM
    I had a similar issue but it was from a Lumia 920 instead. The adapter caught onto the pins. Luckily I was able to remove it without breaking it by using one of my laptop size flat head screwdrivers and picking it like a lock to free it.

Right now I've been using my Roger's nanosim card on the Z10 with no adapter and it's been like that for a good month now. As long as I don't nudge it I can't see it moving anywhere. Just to be safe I did a shake test while the battery was not connected to see if the sim card would move but it didn't so I'm fairly certain it's secure enough even without the adapter attached to it.

I'll eventually buy an adapter when I stop being lazy. lol
    01-20-14 01:35 PM
    Hi Espada04,
    Good to know... That's what I plan to do is to use the Rogers nanoSIM you see in the Z10 and iPhone, and maybe even my old Torch 9810. I got a reply in another forum from a Samsung Galaxy 4 user who said they tried a SIM in their phone and had to change their phone twice, said with an adapter and it didn't work.... not sure why. I've posted asking them for more details. But as far as I know, the SIM cards are generally interchangeable here from regular to micro to nano. I believe there is a carrier out there which uses a different sim with different or extra pins but that's rare. Most can convert and be even cut-down from what I understand.
    01-20-14 02:04 PM