Hi there,

I am getting ready to welcome a new puppy to my home and am looking for a solution to be able to remotely monitor its activities from work via some sort of webcam+pc combo at home and then be able to view from my work laptop or blackberry during the day.

Skype: using 2 skype accounts with the one at home set to auto-answer will allow me to monitor while I have access to a laptop (if I leave the speakers on at home I may even be able to issue commands etc.). However since there is no Skype app for blackberry (unless you're with Verizon) this won't work with my blackberry.

Has anyone had similar issues and been able to figure out a cost-effective solution?

Note: I have RDM+ which would allow me to remotely view my desktop from my blackberry which would be able to give me visual comm, but no way of actually speaking through the blackberry to be heard at the computer so far.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    04-09-12 08:34 AM
    Anything guys? Looking desperately for a solution!
    04-10-12 10:53 AM
    I bought the following internet camera a year ago when it went on sale for about $150

TRENDnet SecurView TV-IP410WN Wireless N Pan/Tilt/Zoom Internet Camera

The solution you are describing above with RDP is quite complicated and restrictive. You can only see what is within view of the camera which was to be near your PC.

With the internet camera, you can place it anywhere in the house near an AC outlet. You don't need a computer for this, it connects through wifi to your router. All you have to do is set up port forwarding, and you can control the camera from any web browser. You can pan, tilt, and zoom from the browser.

I don't know if there's an equivalent app in AppWorld, but I have tried native apps for iOS and Android to control and view the camera from mobile devices. Oh and it has a mic too, so you can hear what's going on at home.
    04-10-12 11:31 AM
    Why not just buy 2 PlayBooks? You can get a brand new 16gb for $199 each (even cheaper if used).

And just do video chat. I assume you have wifi at home and your workplace.

That way you also have a PB to use when you don't need to monitor your dogs.

Only challenge is if you have to leave your workplace and you don't have wifi... unless of course you have tethering/mobile hotspot on your phone or something...
    04-10-12 03:15 PM
    We already do this.
    Have a wireless Foscam web cam at home, which has its own built in web cam.
    Just open the browser to the url, and log in.
    Can even pan the camera from the playbook.
    As our broadband has a dynamic IP, the camera is also set up to connect to NoIp, so we can find it using a web address rather than an IP.
    04-11-12 08:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD