I don't want to insult anyone, but I don't see the obsession with Snapchat. It's a gimmicky app that is essentially texting/MMS with a timed viewing period. It honestly seems like something only teenagers should care about, but it's not the case -- plenty of adults use it. I just don't get it. It's just a novelty to me, and certainly of all apps missing from BB10, not one I lose sleep over not having. (I never have had it even on devices that support it).
    ZedMacahan and gvs1341 like this.
    04-16-15 08:28 AM
    I don't want to insult anyone, but I don't see the obsession with Snapchat. It's a gimmicky app that is essentially texting/MMS with a timed viewing period. It honestly seems like something only teenagers should care about, but it's not the case -- plenty of adults use it. I just don't get it. It's just a novelty to me, and certainly of all apps missing from BB10, not one I lose sleep over not having. (I never have had it even on devices that support it).
    Yes but this is the problem with many here. "I don't or never used therefore it isn't an important app". Given the popularity of the app and it's wide use it is an important app. I don't use it either, nor do I want to, but I know that it is an app that may cause someone not to pick up a BlackBerry device. BlackBerry has an app issue and it will hurt them in both consumer and business. The business app situation is exactly the same with developers stating that BlackBerry isn't popular enough to support.

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo likes this.
    04-16-15 08:33 AM
    How come this doesn't apply with twitter or whatsapp? I guess given the time they have to spend? Still sucks.....

Z30 | 10.3.1.2708
    My 100% unsubstantiated guess? It goes to what the market share they would have. I don't have actual numbers, but lets look at what it could be. Say the market is 100 smart phones. If 50% is Android, 40% is iOS, 5% Windows Phone, and 5% BB10. Most of the population uses or at least has an account on either Twitter or Facebook, so no matter where they are they demand an app. It makes sense because those two apps want to be the go to place for their respective services. Snapchat is a different beast. I would guess Snapchat doesn't have anywhere near the same adoption rate of Twitter or Facebook. Let's say it's 50% adoption rate of the app(I have no idea if that's real). If you were to make an app that would mean you would get 25 Android users, 20 iOS, 2 WP, and 2 BB10. Looking at it this way, where would you put your money and development time?

Are there lots of people clamoring for it on their platform of choice that doesn't have it? Sure are. But they are probably the vocal minority and the numbers just don't add up for them to make the commitment to develop and then support the app.

Until the numbers come up Snapchat, and a multitude of other "wanted" consumer apps won't make the plunge to BB10. Heck, look at WP, some of their apps are being pulled from the Windows Phone Store. The same would apply to BB10.

This also doesn't include the clear message BlackBerry is putting out to developers: BlackBerry is meant for business first and foremost, pleasure usage is second. I understand business types would use these services. But, the minority of people walking into a store are going to buy a BlackBerry, and the only ones who are are the ones who are most likely looking for that specific phone.

In the end the numbers just don't add up for the application developers to spend their time and money developing and supporting an app that will have a minority of their customer's using it.
    Swave514 likes this.
    04-16-15 09:24 AM
    How come this doesn't apply with twitter or whatsapp? I guess given the time they have to spend? Still sucks.....

Z30 | 10.3.1.2708
    As you can see, they are the exception not the rule. The majority of app devs (big or small) are ignoring BB10.
    Swave514 likes this.
    04-16-15 09:50 AM
    Would be nice if all Snapchat related posts could go in one mega black hole thread.
    THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    04-16-15 10:33 AM
    It doesn't matter if you don't use it, or don't understand the attraction. I don't use it either, but I fully understand how popular it is, and how many (if not most) <30 year-olds have started using it as one of their primary means of communications with their peer groups. These are people who use texting and Facebook as secondary, but use SnapChat and Instagram as their primary and most-used ways to communicate. Would you buy a phone that didn't support your most-used way to communicate with your friends, no matter what that method was? Probably not, and that is BB's (and WinPhone's) problem with SnapChat and the under-30 demographic.
    BryanVilla likes this.
    04-16-15 10:37 AM
    Snapchat is taking over the forum!
    04-16-15 10:55 AM
    The power of social media apps is that, while you may not think of it as something you would ever use to communicate, eventually you may have someone important in your life that does. If you have a son or daughter away at college that wants to Snapchat you then it might be a platform deal-breaker. I'm sure that Crackberrians will suggest that you should just tell them to use some other format or adopt new kids or whatever helpful suggestion they usually come up with to tell people what they don't really need.
    04-16-15 11:20 AM
    Guys, there is a way to do this. You are approaching it all wrong.

A petition - how 1920's.

Take Evan Spiegel and his ilk to task on Social Media. Tweet at them, Facebook Friend them and comment on their wall, basically make it a public discussion. Don't stop. You won't always get an initial response. Even better, find out who invested all those millions and billions in snapchat. That's very easy to find. Start tweeting at them, asking for a Blackberry version. Facebook Friend them, and comment on their wall.

Along the way, put on your Ms. Manners outfit and keep it civil and professional. No need to bash other platforms or make a scene, just remind the investors and owners of the company that they are missing out, and do it publicly.

If you don't think this works, then you are not in tune. Our company got features added to Glip just by tweeting at the CEO.
    Thud Hardsmack and gvs1341 like this.
    04-16-15 11:24 AM
    Guys, there is a way to do this. You are approaching it all wrong.

A petition - how 1920's.

Take Evan Spiegel and his ilk to task on Social Media. Tweet at them, Facebook Friend them and comment on their wall, basically make it a public discussion. Don't stop. You won't always get an initial response. Even better, find out who invested all those millions and billions in snapchat. That's very easy to find. Start tweeting at them, asking for a Blackberry version. Facebook Friend them, and comment on their wall.

Along the way, put on your Ms. Manners outfit and keep it civil and professional. No need to bash other platforms or make a scene, just remind the investors and owners of the company that they are missing out, and do it publicly.

If you don't think this works, then you are not in tune. Our company got features added to Glip just by tweeting at the CEO.
    What part of John Chen telling everyone just to use android apps don't people get? When the head of Blackberry publicly admits that there is no point or need to develop apps for Blackberry and/or BB10, guess what?............................NO ONE DOES.

No amount of tweeting, whining, pouting, begging, smooth talking or arse kissing is going to change that.

John Chen killed any hope for BB10 Development development, plain and simple.
    04-16-15 11:44 AM

In the end the numbers just don't add up for the application developers to spend their time and money developing and supporting an app that will have a minority of their customer's using it.
    Makes perfect sense. Well put together! I guess we're just gonna have to wait a little longer for this. I do find snapchats approach very strange though sometimes. Especially the new snapcash feature they added that allows you to send money to people. It seems they're trying to become somewhat of a business/social app

Z30 | 10.3.1.2708
    04-16-15 11:46 AM
    I understand a lot of people here don't use SnapChat nor "get it" why it's popular. You don't have to, just recognize that it IS popular and adjust accordingly. Same way some people don't get why others like sports or technology - you don't have to, but you still recognize others do and to the tune of billions invested. I'm sure most everyone knows someone that doesn't own a smartphone or even a computer and may not understand why you have one, while you view them as a troglodyte. Just look at the gaming industry - I can recall the scorn being applied to kids for playing games, and now some of those kids are millionaires. I realize SnapChat is a free app, unlike most video games, but popular is popular. And when you're popular you can get away with doing things a bit contrary, like shutting out avenues you don't care to pursue. It might simply be more feasible for SnapChat to just keep developing for iOS and Android because they're fairly sure the people that really want to use it will go where the app is. I'm not a SnapChat user nor a developer, I'm just basing this on mere conjecture.
    04-16-15 12:03 PM
    Snapchat is in the tech news right now because they are using geolocation to offer recruitment messages to Uber employees:

A source who works in Uber’s headquarter buildings in San Francisco noticed a new geolocation filter when using Snapchat on Wednesday, which showed an attempt by Snapchat to recruit Uber employees. “This place driving you mad?” read the filter, which can be applied to Snapchat photos before a user sends a disappearing message to friends. The photo filter, which can only be found if a user is in the vicinity of Uber headquarters, also shows a web address to Snapchat’s jobs page and drawings of Snapchat’s trademark ghost driving a cab while making frustrated and sad faces.
    Snapchat Sneakily Uses Its Own App To Poach Uber Engineers - Forbes

Snapchat is rumored to be raising funding based on a $19 billion dollar valuation:
    Snapchat eyes $19 billion valuation - Feb. 18, 2015
    04-16-15 12:21 PM
    title of thread=oxymoron.

important....snapchat? lol
    04-16-15 12:58 PM
    title of thread=oxymoron.

I know right. People are getting way overly attached to social media.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    04-16-15 01:27 PM
    It looks like BlackBerry could take all of its remaining cash and buy about 10% of Snapchat ownership. This would probably entitle them to ask for a BB10 version. I'm not kidding. This would work.
    04-16-15 01:30 PM
    SnapChat is only important to smartphone companies who want to be successful in the consumer market, so I can understand your condescension.
    04-16-15 01:31 PM
    I feel like the average age of this thread is 73. My dad would have felt the same way.

Good on all of ya, being your Dad already. Really cool, bros. "These young whippersnappers and their Balsa Wood gliders. Next thing you know they'll make real flying machines." Imagine how oldies felt when the radio came around - they saw it as the coming of Satan himself. Air conditioning? Who would EVER want that.

Smartphones are here to stay, and wearables are next. The Next Generation of money - billions upon billions - will be made in that market. You can scoff, but people like me are more than happy to take some of those billions. I would never look at billions and go "You know what, I'm too old for billions."
    04-16-15 02:00 PM
    The power of social media apps is that, while you may not think of it as something you would ever use to communicate, eventually you may have someone important in your life that does. If you have a son or daughter away at college that wants to Snapchat you then it might be a platform deal-breaker. I'm sure that Crackberrians will suggest that you should just tell them to use some other format or adopt new kids or whatever helpful suggestion they usually come up with to tell people what they don't really need.
    I can understand this if SnapChat had some unique feature or was the only way to send messages, but it's not.

A friend on Android suggested that we use Whatsapp. After a few test runs, we went back to SMS/MMS because it didn't give us anything more than the unlimited SMS/MMS that we already had. Maybe when Voice becomes available and we're traveling abroad, it might become handy, but at home, there's unlimited talk.
    04-16-15 02:18 PM
    What part of John Chen telling everyone just to use android apps don't people get? When the head of Blackberry publicly admits that there is no point or need to develop apps for Blackberry and/or BB10, guess what?............................NO ONE DOES.

No amount of tweeting, whining, pouting, begging, smooth talking or arse kissing is going to change that.

John Chen killed any hope for BB10 Development development, plain and simple.
    Maybe he's promoting the Android Runtime because so many existing users have been complaining that it's one of the unknown features of BB10 that should be more publicized?

As for SnapChat, it's SnapChat, not BlackBerry, that's preventing it from being on BB10.

Your focus of blame is misdirected.
    04-16-15 02:21 PM
    It looks like BlackBerry could take all of its remaining cash and buy about 10% of Snapchat ownership. This would probably entitle them to ask for a BB10 version. I'm not kidding. This would work.
    Microsoft is willing to dump money on SnapChat and yet there's no Windows Phone version. Facebook tried to buy them out for $3 billion and that didn't happen. SnapChat has their own plans and it doesn't include BlackBerry at the moment and money/investment won't change that.
    04-16-15 02:25 PM
    Maybe he's promoting the Android Runtime because so many existing users have been complaining that it's one of the unknown features of BB10 that should be more publicized?

As for SnapChat, it's SnapChat, not BlackBerry, that's preventing it from being on BB10.

Your focus of blame is misdirected.
    Guess that runtime promotion is working dandy. Don't develop for BB10 because we have an android runtime that won't run the most popular android apps. Your absolutely right. That was a pure genius move by Chen and the board.

Funny the android app works just fine on my .................. android ................with a one click install.

The android runtime is definitely a game changer. They should really let more people know how poor an experience it is. That will boost sales.

some folks like cheap plastic imitations of products and services. Walmart parking lots are full for a reason.
    04-16-15 02:32 PM
    I can understand this if SnapChat had some unique feature or was the only way to send messages, but it's not.
    However, it is the only way to receive messages from your family and friends who are using Snapchat.
    Cynycl likes this.
    04-16-15 03:18 PM
    However, it is the only way to receive messages from your family and friends who are using Snapchat.
    No. Phone calls and text messages STILL exist.

The logic that people who use Snapchat will stop communicating with people who do not use that app is flawed.
    04-16-15 03:24 PM
    No. Phone calls and text messages STILL exist.

The logic that people who use Snapchat will stop communicating with people who do not use that app is flawed.
    Actually, the mobile phone still exists if you don't have messaging. And, if you don't have a mobile phone then you can still receive calls via a land-line when you are home. And if you don't have a land-line then the post office still delivers mail.
    mithrazor likes this.
    04-16-15 03:30 PM
102 1234 ...