Email works over wifi no problem, that's what's happens when the wifi icon changes from grey to white, it means all blackberry services are now going trough wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-10 12:05 PM
    So, time for some recap. What I've learned so far thanking to all your contributions:

1) BIS does work for emails on WiFi regardless of the country, IP, carrier, etc. It's a bit of a mystery for me (i.e. how BB server distinguishes cell network IPs Vs broadband ones), but hey, you don't have to understand everything in life, sometimes you should just enjoy it as is.

2) one total winning point of BBs is very good uprun time and very efficient network interchanges

Now, what's left to clarify:

3) do both Yahoo! and GMail offer full two-way reconciliation for email (sent items, read/unread, deleted messages, etc), calendar and contacts all built-in BB OS? I read several forums with users complaining about duplicated items on their inbox or emails sent from server and not updated on BB and vice versa.

4) if answer to 3) is yes, could anybody give me some honest advice on which one of the two should I go for (Yahoo! or GMail)?

Thanks!
    06-07-10 04:57 AM
    I like yahoo. I don't like my husband's gmail. I was never able to get google sync to work. I love the reconciliation of yahoo. I haven't tried google yet. I didn't know it did that.

06-07-10 05:36 AM
    This is going to be a bit of a biased opinion, but I'd opt for GMail. I say this because I happen to prefer the overall scope of their service, whether on the BlackBerry or not, to Yahoo!'s
    06-07-10 10:24 AM
    Instant email does not equal push email.

When I see an email arrive to my bell.net account on my laptop, which is set to forward to my gmail, and at the moment I see it in my bell.net account I see my led light up on my Pre a millisecond later and poof, there it is, and considering gmail pushed, it = push email. Faster than I ever had on my BB's. Oh contrary one. FYI my Pre is set to manually retrieve email on any other email address except gmail which is set to push as soon as email arrives.

Oh and being able to access FOLDERS. In my email! Who knew that was such a revolution! I mean BB allows that - oh wait.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 06-07-10 at 11:47 AM.
    06-07-10 11:44 AM
    Instant email does not equal push email.

When I see an email arrive to my bell.net account on my laptop, which is set to forward to my gmail, and at the moment I see it in my bell.net account I see my led light up on my Pre a millisecond later and poof, there it is, and considering gmail pushed, it = push email. Faster than I ever had on my BB's. Oh contrary one. FYI my Pre is set to manually retrieve email on any other email address except gmail which is set to push as soon as email arrives.
    I'm not gonna argue about the Palm PRE's ability to get push email service, because frankly, I don't know enough (if anything) about how the PRE works, but that doesn't make the original statement untrue.

"Push" service simply means that the message delivery mechanism is triggered by the sever that receives the message...which then "pushes" the message(s) to the device as they arrive.

Many mobile devices don't offer such real-time message delivery because they rely on the device itself to actively poll the server to see if there are new messages ready to be delivered. Thus, the messages are being "pulled" by the device from the server.

In theory (and in some cases today's reality), however, one could achieve pretty much the exact same quality of service of a push system by increasing the polling interval to almost constant. So while to the end-user message delivery is near instant, it doesn't necessarily mean that the message was "pushed".

GMail itself doesn't "Push" email to any device, it just offers it's service via IMAP protocol so that you can access your mailbox remotely. Palm, however, may very well in fact be pushing the messages it accesses though the IMAP interface to your PRE...but as I said before I'm not gonna even try to act like I know anything about that.

Does it matter to me? No, not really...just as long as I get my messages on time is all I really care about.
    Last edited by PaintDrinkingPete; 06-07-10 at 12:06 PM.
    06-07-10 12:02 PM
    Me too, Pete, which sadly I wasn't for some time on BB, and the fiance's problems, well I've spoken of them. His profile is still broken on RIM's servers and they are working on it. Apparently. For 3 months now.

He gets email once a day. It's inexcusable.
    06-07-10 01:50 PM
    Me too, Pete, which sadly I wasn't for some time on BB, and the fiance's problems, well I've spoken of them. His profile is still broken on RIM's servers and they are working on it. Apparently. For 3 months now.

He gets email once a day. It's inexcusable.
    I've never had my own issues with RIM or Blackberry...but I'd be a bit sour too if that were the case.
    06-07-10 02:02 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD