If I am going to pay $10/month for VZ Navigator, is it worth getting any other apps to use? That is, are there any things that the others apps - google maps, bb maps, nav4all - do better than VZ Navigator? Or is VZ Navigator as good as any of them?

I am not interested in a puck or device 'cause if I did I might as well carry my garmin ( I know, the pucks are smaller, but that is not my interest now)

Yes, I know that I need subscribe to VZ in order to use the others. but was wondering if once I get it I should use other apps instead.
    08-04-08 11:54 PM
    If you sign up for the Verizon program you might as well try the others and see if any provide features you like in addition to the Verizon features or maybe better or worse. You can always delete applications you do not need/want.
    08-05-08 12:38 AM
    Windows Live Search Mobile is the best local search program I've seen for the Blackberry. It puts the iPhone's Google Maps to shame, it is far better than Google Maps on the Blackberry, and it consistently finds more places than Verizon Navigator. You won't need Google Maps or Nav4All, but you might as well keep BBMaps.

Just a note: Each time someone subscribes to Verizon Navigator it encourages Verizon continue blocking access to the internal GPS.
    08-05-08 09:46 AM

Just a note: Each time someone subscribes to Verizon Navigator it encourages Verizon continue blocking access to the internal GPS.
    Oh shees. This isn't true...
    08-05-08 09:48 AM
    Oh shees. This isn't true...
    Yes it is!
    08-05-08 12:58 PM
    Yes it is!
    No it isn't!
    08-05-08 01:09 PM
    Alright children, am I going to have to split you up? ;-)

Anyway, since you are on Vzw you're pretty much stuck with VZNav unless you do buy a puck. The others can't use the built-in GPS.
    08-05-08 06:25 PM
    No it isn't!
    Yes it is

I wish they would at least unlock the GPS for other apps as long you you were a paying VZNav customer.

I think a hummingbird dies each time someone subs to VZNav
    Last edited by teylini; 08-05-08 at 06:45 PM. Reason: added another cool quote
    08-05-08 06:42 PM
    If I am going to pay $10/month for VZ Navigator, is it worth getting any other apps to use? That is, are there any things that the others apps - google maps, bb maps, nav4all - do better than VZ Navigator? Or is VZ Navigator as good as any of them?

I am not interested in a puck or device 'cause if I did I might as well carry my garmin ( I know, the pucks are smaller, but that is not my interest now)

Yes, I know that I need subscribe to VZ in order to use the others. but was wondering if once I get it I should use other apps instead.
    Subscribing to VZNav will not enable the internal GPS for any other apps. Verizon locks it to VZNav only. To use Google Maps, BBMaps, etc, you'll need an external GPS puck. I haven't used VZNav, but it gets good reviews from subscribers, so it might be all you need.
    08-05-08 10:30 PM
    Subscribing to VZNav will not enable the internal GPS for any other apps. Verizon locks it to VZNav only. To use Google Maps, BBMaps, etc, you'll need an external GPS puck. I haven't used VZNav, but it gets good reviews from subscribers, so it might be all you need.
    Thanks you, this is what I needed to know. For some reason I thought that subscribing to VZ navigator also allowed it to now with with google maps or windows live search.

What about BB maps, or am I better off sticking with VZ Navigator?
    Last edited by hal1; 08-06-08 at 12:03 AM.
    08-05-08 10:49 PM
    I don't really know the answer but I've read that SOME folks have been able to use some of the 3rd party gps software when they subscribe to Verizon Navigator if they use what I believe is the "follow me" option. But then others report it does not work.

I guess the thing to do it try it out. I understand that Verizon offers a 30 day trial period???? You might investigate that option and then see if you can get other gps apps to work, too.

Or just give in, do what many of us have done - get a separate gps puck (I like my Freedom 2000).

Good luck with the decision
    08-06-08 09:37 AM
    What about BB maps, or am I better off sticking with VZ Navigator?
    BBMaps is not going to work with the internal GPS. VZNav is the only thing that works. PERIOD!
    08-06-08 11:07 AM

I think a hummingbird dies each time someone subs to VZNav
    Awwww......
    08-06-08 11:15 AM
    Awwww......
    So now you're sympathetic?
    08-06-08 01:00 PM
    So now you're sympathetic?
    Maybe I like hummingbirds.

08-06-08 01:03 PM
    Maybe I like hummingbirds.

Verizon doesn't.
    08-06-08 01:10 PM
    Verizon doesn't.
    Lol... That made my day.
    08-06-08 01:12 PM
    Given a choice, I'd take VZ Navigator over hummingbirds any day. Unless the hummingbirds were deep fried and covered in hot sauce.
    08-07-08 09:35 AM
    Given a choice, I'd take VZ Navigator over hummingbirds any day. Unless the hummingbirds were deep fried and covered in hot sauce.
    08-07-08 09:37 AM

Oh come on...I"ll bet they taste just like chicken.
    08-07-08 09:50 AM
    Lol....... I would think they would be a little more tough than chicken..
    08-07-08 09:51 AM
    I bet in AZ you can get them sun-dried. I ate beef in Phoenix (or was it Tucson?) that had supposedly been air/sun-dried in a cage on top of the Mexican restaurant. Very tasty...
    08-07-08 09:54 AM
    What part of Phoenix? In some parts, I wouldn't trust that what you were eating was beef.....
    08-07-08 09:55 AM
    I hope somebody from the Food Network is reading this. Sounds like a great Iron Chef episode to me...Battle Hummingbird.
    08-07-08 09:58 AM
    What part of Phoenix? In some parts, I wouldn't trust that what you were eating was beef.....
    Turns out it was in Tucson. Whatever it was, the server recommended it as a local delicacy...or maybe he just had a wicked sense of humor! Tasty...
    08-07-08 10:48 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD