Those with Verizon with "unlimited data" plans.
    We've had Verizon for so many years and we used to enjoy the company overall. Since we got smart phones a long time ago when "unlimited data" was offered by Verizon, we were told we were "grandfathered in" with new devices.

Meaning, they no longer offer unlimited data to new smart phone customers, but we're able to maintain this.

But now I learned that as soon as I change phones, upgrade, etc that we will lose the unlimited data.
    The only way to keep it and remain with Verizon is to never change phones.

Anyone in the same boat?
    01-03-13 10:52 PM
    yep, been like this for a little while. You have to buy off contract to keep that plan
    01-03-13 10:56 PM
    That is not true. You can keep the unlimited but if you want to upgrade your phone you have to pay full retail price for it. If you want an upgrade price on the phone you must change your data plan. I spoke with VZW customer servuce last night because my upgrade comes due in Feb. I never even come close to 1GB so i guess I will take the upgrade price on BB10. So you do have an option. Pay me now or pay me later . Bendover maximus!
    01-03-13 10:57 PM
    Ok I see. Which is a benefit for BBs, as they use less data.
    01-03-13 11:02 PM
    I dont stream music or watch a lot of video but it does kind of anger me to give up unlimited
    01-03-13 11:09 PM
    I dont stream music or watch a lot of video but it does kind of anger me to give up unlimited
    Cell phone companies are becoming more of a big rip off than ever.
    01-03-13 11:17 PM
    And, don't forget the $30 "upgrade fee" that Verizon (and other carriers) are now charging.....
    01-04-13 09:14 AM
    And, don't forget the $30 "upgrade fee" that Verizon (and other carriers) are now charging.....
    This was a freaking surprise to me when I upgraded my son's iphone 4 to an iphone 5 for christmas. What a joke! A fee to upgrade besides.
    I gave up my "unlimited" plan when I dropped my acct with vzw and joined my husband and son's acct. We now SHARE 8GB data (which we don't come close to) and we save the actual cost of my bb plan monthly plus more. SO we save about 105 bucks a month! I still get all the data I need and save the cost of my plan. Oh and I left my husband PAY THE BILL! LMAO!!
    EDIT: Actually, I LET him pay the bill. HAHAHAHA
    Thanks for the error correction, Derrick!!!
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 01-04-13 at 05:17 PM.
    David in Durham likes this.
    01-04-13 10:06 AM
    This was a freaking surprise to me when I upgraded my son's iphone 4 to an iphone 5 for christmas. What a joke! A fee to upgrade besides.
    I gave up my "unlimited" plan when I dropped my acct with vzw and joined my husband and son's acct. We now SHARE 8GB data (which we don't come close to) and we save the actual cost of my bb plan monthly plus more. SO we save about 105 bucks a month! I still get all the data I need and save the cost of my plan. Oh and I left my husband PAY THE BILL! LMAO!!
    That is the key, if you have several people in the family the new share plans work out nicely (assuming you dont each use tons of data). for 1 to 2 people though the share plans arent as good from my findings. Its hard to find a good company and plan without having a drawback somewhere anymore.
    01-04-13 10:35 AM
    With a Blackberry, unlimited data is not really needed. Its nice to not worry about anything, but its pretty rare that you would go over 2gb. Maybe even 1gb.

I had a 1gb data plan and turned off my wifi to see if how much data I could use. I purposely streamed pandora for hours, tweeted, text, surfed the web and barely made it to 500mb. And I was really trying!

Since then I switched to Verizon's 300mb data plan. Never had to worry data. Im connected to wifi 70% of the day (at work and home) and used no more than 180mb/month. Most of my data use is from using Telenav in the car, or when Im not connected to wifi at home or work.

But now that I have an iPhone on my account, I share a 2gb data plan. My usage is still pretty low (about 150mb/mo) but I got that higher data plan fjust for the iphone.
    01-04-13 12:02 PM
    I was on Cingular's unlimited plan and AT&T did the same, but once your contract was up no more unlimited. They offered good prices for gigs of data, then they changed it and now it's like $10/month for 200mb those b*stards.
    01-04-13 12:53 PM
    There's only one way around this.... if they are going to get rid of that plan for you, then there is no reason to stay with them as a customer. Tell them you can get better deals elsewhere for limited data and say you'll stay if they grandfather your current plan. Customer retention is the name of the game and more often than not, they will give you what you want in order not to lose you.
    01-04-13 01:06 PM
    Do we know though if BB10 will have the data compression since they are going to tierd plans and such... you may have to pay for that feature. the only thing I worry about is whether or not I'll be able to use 4G if I don't change my data plan with Verizon. I'm buying the phone full price off contract but I have a feeling this phone won't use the same data plan as the old phones.... so you may lose it anyway. If that's the case I'll be swapping carriers for AT&T probably :/
    01-04-13 01:19 PM
    Cell phone companies are becoming more of a big rip off than ever.
    Remember a few years ago when it was all about the minutes? Now most companies are offering their unlimited text/talk and charging out the arse for data - which is where they're making their money.

I'm dating myself, but my first cell phone plan had 50 minutes for $60 and Data was a character on Star Trek.
    01-04-13 02:29 PM
    Remember a few years ago when it was all about the minutes? Now most companies are offering their unlimited text/talk and charging out the arse for data - which is where they're making their money.

I'm dating myself, but my first cell phone plan had 50 minutes for $60 and Data was a character on Star Trek.
    Those were the days! My phone used to be about that much. I had 450 mins and about 200 text messages. I remember being charged 1 cent per kilobit for that pathetic WAP browsing.
    01-04-13 02:38 PM
    I was on Cingular's unlimited plan and AT&T did the same, but once your contract was up no more unlimited. They offered good prices for gigs of data, then they changed it and now it's like $10/month for 200mb those b*stards.
    I was with Cingular when I moved to a BlackBerry device and took the unlimited data plan. I am currently with AT&T and I still have my original unlimited data plan and I have done a few upgrades and have never had to give up my existing unlimited data plan.

Bob
    01-04-13 02:52 PM
    I was with Cingular when I moved to a BlackBerry device and took the unlimited data plan. I am currently with AT&T and I still have my original unlimited data plan and I have done a few upgrades and have never had to give up my existing unlimited data plan.

Bob
    When is the last time you did an upgrade?
    01-04-13 02:59 PM
    November of 2011 when I upgraded my BB 9700 to the BB 9900...still have my unlimited plan. I was in my AT&T store the other day talking about upgrading to one of the new BB10 devices and I discussed keeping my plan or considering one of their shared data plans....I have 2 lines. My gal said keep the unlimited for sure. So I know I won't have to give it up on my next upgrade as well.

Bob
    01-04-13 03:06 PM

Bob
    When is the last time you did an upgrade?
    Last December, but I took my mom's upgrade who did not have a data plan. Before that I upgraded from a POS nokia to a samsung flip, then that to a BB which I got at Best Buy. Then last December I got my 9900 for Christmas off my mom's upgrade.
    01-04-13 03:22 PM
    My wife and I are both on AT&T. Both started the unlimited data plans in the summer of '07 with two 8100s. Then she upgraded to an iPhone 3G in '09 keeping the same data plan. I later upgraded to the 9800 in Dec '10, soon after AT&T began the tiered plans but kept my unlimited plan. Wife upgraded to the iPhone 4 (refurbished) just this past summer, but still kept the unlimited plan.

AT&T has not - so far - changed their policy on grandfathered unlimited plans. Even upgrading to a 4G phone makes no difference.

The problem, at least early in the change to tiered plans, was that third party retailers like Best Buy, or online thru Amazon, or NewEgg, didn't have your existing plans as an option. They only listed the new tiered plans and you had to chose one to continue. If that happened, you could call AT&T customer service and have them re-establish the unlimited plan as they would see the upgrade had just happened, but you had to do it pretty soon after the upgrade, or CS would be less willing to do it - and you would probably have to go through the CS chain of command a bit before finding someone helpful.

Upgrading at the AT&T store or through the AT&T web site is best as that will always have your existing plan listed. That's what we always did.
    01-04-13 05:00 PM
    I am going through the exact same thing. If I want to upgrade and receive the upgrade price then I'm going to have to lose my data. If I understand correctly the only way to bypass this is to purchase the phone outright.
    01-04-13 05:05 PM
    We have 6 people on our plan sharing 4 g monthly and we never go over. With WiFi we barely hit 3 g. We saved quite a bit of money by ditching our unlimited data plan. For $10 more a month we could get 6 g if we needed. It was a good move for us.

Edited to add: We don't download movies or play games on VZW data so that certainly makes a difference.
    01-04-13 05:10 PM
    My wife and I are both on AT&T. Both started the unlimited data plans in the summer of '07 with two 8100s. Then she upgraded to an iPhone 3G in '09 keeping the same data plan. I later upgraded to the 9800 in Dec '10, soon after AT&T began the tiered plans but kept my unlimited plan. Wife upgraded to the iPhone 4 (refurbished) just this past summer, but still kept the unlimited plan.

AT&T has not - so far - changed their policy on grandfathered unlimited plans. Even upgrading to a 4G phone makes no difference.

The problem, at least early in the change to tiered plans, was that third party retailers like Best Buy, or online thru Amazon, or NewEgg, didn't have your existing plans as an option. They only listed the new tiered plans and you had to chose one to continue. If that happened, you could call AT&T customer service and have them re-establish the unlimited plan as they would see the upgrade had just happened, but you had to do it pretty soon after the upgrade, or CS would be less willing to do it - and you would probably have to go through the CS chain of command a bit before finding someone helpful.

Upgrading at the AT&T store or through the AT&T web site is best as that will always have your existing plan listed. That's what we always did.
    I went through the same thing. I've had unlimited Data since around 2007 also and I was told recently that, as long as I donot change my data plan, I will be able to keep Unlimited Data for as long as I am with ATT. When I went to upgrade my phone at Best Buy about a year ago, I called ATT on the phone AND went into an official ATT store to ask about this. The store said I would lose the plan, but the rep on the phone said I would be able to keep it. Even going from 3G data to 4G data. I asked the rep to make a note on my account and he did. When I got my phone at Best Buy, they didn't see the Unlimited Data plan, so I called ATT again before the final sale, the rep saw the notion on my account, told me to buy the phone, and call them right after if the Best Buy sales person wasn't able to add the Unlimted Data plan to my account. After getting home, I called them up, they made the changes, and I kept my Unlimited Data.

A lot of calls but sometimes it's better to be safe than sorry. And now that I get 5GB before being throttled with 4G, I'm pretty happy and haven't had any real complaints. I have gone over a couple of times and they didn't throttle me, so again, no complaints. Plus, 5GB is enough for me.
    01-04-13 06:12 PM
    Damn, wish I would have known about this when I got my 9700. :/
    01-04-13 08:00 PM