01-09-12 10:29 PM
191 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Here is a serious, no-joke shortcoming. I have a friend at work with an iPhone. We use Microsoft Exchange server for email access from home. He is able to program the settings for Exchange Server into his iPhone and it works flawlessly. I program the same settings into my Blackberry, either through the phone or the web email setup, and no dice. According to work, because it's a BB, they have to buy a subscription to get it to work. I'm not sure if that's correct or not, but work is not willing to do this for a personal phone and so I have no work email access except through the web interface. Being that BB is supposed to be so robust with email, it ends up being a joke.... The iPhone.... it just works. No idea what the Android will do, but I know the BB doesn't work.

another thing- I can't add my military (AKO) account because the Army considers it a breach of security to allow RIM access to my user name and password. So much for BB's enhanced security features. Practical experience renders them useless.
    09-05-11 09:01 PM
    Here is a serious, no-joke shortcoming. I have a friend at work with an iPhone. We use Microsoft Exchange server for email access from home. He is able to program the settings for Exchange Server into his iPhone and it works flawlessly. I program the same settings into my Blackberry, either through the phone or the web email setup, and no dice. According to work, because it's a BB, they have to buy a subscription to get it to work. I'm not sure if that's correct or not, but work is not willing to do this for a personal phone and so I have no work email access except through the web interface. Being that BB is supposed to be so robust with email, it ends up being a joke.... The iPhone.... it just works. No idea what the Android will do, but I know the BB doesn't work.

another thing- I can't add my military (AKO) account because the Army considers it a breach of security to allow RIM access to my user name and password. So much for BB's enhanced security features. Practical experience renders them useless.
    YES your employer would need to PAY for BES access for you to get your email onto the BlackBerry, that is how RIM has always done it, it isn't news, and they still are email powerhouses,

as for your military account, BlackBerry's still are secure, BUT to get access again you need a BES account within the Military for them to retain control.
    Try doing some basic research.
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
    09-06-11 10:53 AM
    I have done the research and that's pretty much what I said. Neither my employer nor the military will pay for or allow me to pay for BES access on my personal phone. If I had an iPhone or (I'm guessing) Android it wouldn't even be an issue. That's a problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-11 11:12 AM
    I have done the research and that's pretty much what I said. Neither my employer nor the military will pay for or allow me to pay for BES access on my personal phone. If I had an iPhone or (I'm guessing) Android it wouldn't even be an issue. That's a problem.

iPhone and Android will work for your employer yes.

for the Military, I surely can not understand how they can grant access to Android or iPhone but not BlackBerry if Security is their issue.

IF it is budget restrictions THEN that is a valid issue, but security would not be the case.
    jeffh likes this.
    09-06-11 11:32 AM
    I think the military concern is that your user name and password resides on the Blackberry server. With the other two it doesn't work that way.

09-06-11 12:19 PM
    So BB being the intermediary is the issue? Interesting. Never would have thought of that, but it kinda makes sense.
    09-06-11 12:22 PM

The federal government issues BES enabled BBerries to specific staff based on need. Perhaps you could explain to your leadership what tasks you are currently performing that would require you to carry a BES enabled BB.
    You won't see iPhone or Android devices on the network behind the fire wall *unless sandboxed or as part of specific projects* because they are not authorised to *be* behind firewalls.

It's not that BB is not secure enough for you to use. It's that you need to have a need to be issued a device. On that, contact your leadership.
    You can explain your need to them and they will comply as needed.
    09-06-11 12:36 PM
    Agree- I'm not saying that the BB is not secure, just that the way it's implemented is a limitation rather than a feature in these two instances.

Last edited by Sandman333; 09-06-11 at 03:37 PM.
    09-06-11 03:31 PM
    The military is not going to give me a government phone. I'm in the Guard and drill once a month. It's a matter of convenience for me to keep in touch with my soldiers on the go. I can get it on iPhone and Android, but not on BB.

09-06-11 03:34 PM
    Ah, that's really too bad, then. Only heavily sandboxed projects use anything other than a BB on BES. They would not be on the network at large.
    09-06-11 04:56 PM
    Right now my biggest issue with BB is the random duplicating contacts when syncing with my Gmail contacts. I don't know and at this point don't care if it's a BB problem or a Google problem. Google doesn't have this problem with Android. I had thousands of duplicates of my contacts on my phone and had to spend hours cleaning that mess up. I currently use my BB as a hub to sync contacts between Outlook 2010 and Gmail.
    09-07-11 03:43 PM
    With regard to the OP, I know a couple of the people by name at the VZ store I pay my bill at. We shoot the breeze everytime I'm in, but when I take a few minutes to play with the new 'Berries, they say stuff like "why would you as such a smartphone lover want something as boring as a BlackBerry" or "I can't believe there's anyone who prefers BlackBerry over iPhone or Android."

They've already given up on all that by now because they know how serious I am about the subject, but I would bet my paycheck they have or will talk someone out of a 'Berry in favor of a Droid. They do have some large, flashy, and dare I say eloquent displays for Android, so I can assume that's their thing.

Such a shame there's not some rule in place that completely prohibits nay-say of anything they sell in their stores.

09-07-11 08:26 PM
    Tell the big red worker donot buy droid-eyephone.

09-07-11 08:31 PM
    being that i work for bestbuy and we have bestbuy mobile i would never buy a from directly from a carrier. i dont even work in bby mobile and its a shame that of all the carrier stores ive been in ive known more about the phones they sell than their reps and this would include bbs, iphone and androids. when i have a customer ask about which phone they should get i ask lifestyle questions of what they do/want and then go from there. im very unbiased even though i love bb. its all about helping people get a phone that meets their needs not yours.

i thought i read somewhere that because you can jb an iphone and root an android that, that itself is a security risk.......correct if im wwrong please
    09-08-11 01:58 AM
    Yeah, I know that when you jailbreak an iPhone you're opening a mess of ssh ports that are otherwise closed, and anyone who has any networking experience knows you don't do something like that for fun. As far as rooting Droid, I'm not so sure. I can't imagine modifying a system's rom is the best thing for security, maybe an Android fanboy might know more. It does require installing necessary tools to gain root access to the device thus allowing the user to install and run anything. Like the iPhone, I would bet most of these younger people who root/JB because its the "normal" thing to do likely don't know at great depth what security risks they are creating, but know all about what new functions they can achieve with previously unavailable apps, and now they can pirate $0.99 - $3.00 apps because they think its stupid to actually pay software that took someone time to write and publish.

I'm not such a low-life that I need to rip someone off for super low cost software, nor would I want to open security holes in something I rely on quite heavily, so rooting and jailbreaking are a big "h*ll no" for me.

09-08-11 05:07 AM
    Good luck with that. You have to do what's best for you, but in my experience...

The Storm 1 experience <> current BBOS experiences. BBOS 5.x <> current BBOS experiences.

On Android, get ready for:
    1. 4 hour useful time between charges
    2. MANY of those wonderful free apps to force close regularly. After an OS upgrade, even more totally break. Go on app world and read the comments for the Facebook app, or the YouTube app. Both big players, with horribly broken apps, and wildly varying experiences among users.
    3. NO alert / ring profiles. All you can profile is volume. There are apps, but not one approaches what a BB with BerryBuzz provides
    4. No meaningful LED notification. Fire up that power hungry screen several times an hour to see if you have messages and see where that leaves you.
    5. If your messaging, contacts, and calendar are not "Googleized", get ready for the pain of trying to tack on and sync third party apps.
    6. Mega data usage from your carrier. Granted QNX berries will probably use a bit more than BBOS, but damn, when a phone goes on line for EVERYTHING using uncompressed transmission, your carrier will be making money.
    7. That turn-by-turn navigation is a great tool to have in a pinch, but also eats lots of data from your provider and juice from your battery, and frequently goes dumb when coverage is sketchy.
    8. OS's and OS upgrades that cripple your device. Why do you think there are hundreds if not thousands of communities online centered around rooting / modifying Android? It becomes a debugging hobby, not a workhorse. And, yes, before you rip BBOS for being buggy, there are warts, but they are minor in comparison and the vast majority don't kill core functionality. Remember, Android is written by an advertising company who's goal is to get "eyes on the web" and hits to Google servers, not to deliver outstanding phone OS's. It's prolific because it's free and increases margins on devices.

If none of this bothers you, then go for it. Android does offer a ton of apps and flexibility. It's just meant as a general lighter-duty consumer OS, and starts to break up when you use it hard.

BTW - I did use the platform heavily for 3 months, stock and rooted, tweaked to **** and back. I just couldn't trust a device that would do a new strange thing at bad times on a daily basis.
    There are certainly issues with Android, but you're overstating some of the problems as well. I've got an Atrix that I used as my main phone for a good 4 months, and the issues you're outlining simply are exaggerated.

Just as I don't want folks to mis-state the functionality and limits of the Blackberry, I don't think it's fair to do the same for Android. Some of the hardware is top notch and can fill a great many needs for people. I still consider swapping back to Android due to the flexibility and capabilities, which are gaps on my 9900.
    09-08-11 11:56 AM
    I had an AT&T rep tell me the other day that he hates BBs because he couldn't understand the OS and that it didn't make any sense and was hard to use. Then proceeded to tell me he only uses the iPhone. Not to mention he had never used a Windows phone.

I don't really trust anything the reps say about phones. They're there to help me with my cell service and bill. Not to help me pick out a phone.

09-08-11 12:52 PM
    Update: I went against his wishes and ordered a 9850 from Verizon. I checked one out at the Sprint store before I ordered it since Verizon doesn't have them in stores until September 15th. I ordered the phone through customer service and upon mentioning the sales reps tactics of trying to talk me out of a blackberry, they weren't surprised. They said they probably just need to sell more of a particular device. I, myself, would probably have just gone to another Verizon store to make my purchase after being told I'm basically an ***** for wanting a bb. So his tactics would have failed him because he got no commission for the sale. Also while on the phone, the customer service rep said she had been taking orders all day for the 9850 and the Motorola Bionic. So I guess there are a few customers that actually want to buy this failing, piece of junk blackberry phone so they can waste their money.
    09-09-11 07:11 AM
    Most IT departments, including government, are now allowing iPhone device. Can you take payments yet with BlackBerry? Do they have mobile hotspots?
    Most IT departments much prefer Blackberry for the data security, data efficiency, and the fact that BBM and Emails are held at the company and not at a service provider. It is also much easier to manage remotely.

Most companies that allow non BB's ... it isn't because if the IT department, but the C-level executives telling them to go pound sand when they talk about security, etc.
    09-09-11 02:57 PM
    On Android, get ready for:
    4 hour useful time between charges
    MANY of those wonderful free apps to force close regularly. After an OS upgrade, even more totally break. Go on app world and read the comments for the Facebook app, or the YouTube app. Both big players, with horribly broken apps, and wildly varying experiences among users.
    NO alert / ring profiles. All you can profile is volume. There are apps, but not one approaches what a BB with BerryBuzz provides
    No meaningful LED notification. Fire up that power hungry screen several times an hour to see if you have messages and see where that leaves you.
    If your messaging, contacts, and calendar are not "Googleized", get ready for the pain of trying to tack on and sync third party apps.
    Mega data usage from your carrier. Granted QNX berries will probably use a bit more than BBOS, but damn, when a phone goes on line for EVERYTHING using uncompressed transmission, your carrier will be making money.
    That turn-by-turn navigation is a great tool to have in a pinch, but also eats lots of data from your provider and juice from your battery, and frequently goes dumb when coverage is sketchy.
    OS's and OS upgrades that cripple your device. Why do you think there are hundreds if not thousands of communities online centered around rooting / modifying Android? It becomes a debugging hobby, not a workhorse. And, yes, before you rip BBOS for being buggy, there are warts, but they are minor in comparison and the vast majority don't kill core functionality. Remember, Android is written by an advertising company who's goal is to get "eyes on the web" and hits to Google servers, not to deliver outstanding phone OS's. It's prolific because it's free and increases margins on devices.

If none of this bothers you, then go for it. Android does offer a ton of apps and flexibility. It's just meant as a general lighter-duty consumer OS, and starts to break up when you use it hard.

BTW - I did use the platform heavily for 3 months, stock and rooted, tweaked to **** and back. I just couldn't trust a device that would do a new strange thing at bad times on a daily basis.
    What an excellent, to the point explanation. I, too, tried a top of the line Android phone, USE google as my primary email address and experienced all of the above - no exaggeration whatsoever. The ONLY thing that I need with my blackberry that would be nice would be an out of the box navigation tool that would rival the google/android experience. Other than that - my email is organized, responsive and easy to read, my phone functions as a phone - loud, clear and RARELY (if ever) drops a call, has a useful calendar, keeps my contacts organized and now (will wonders ever cease) has a functional internet browser. Believe me, I love those beautiful touch screens and all that memory and processing power, but they come at a big price (IMHO).
    filmgirl likes this.
    09-09-11 03:16 PM
    He gave you good advice. Get the Blackberry only if you like 15+ minute boot times, having to do battery pulls multiple times every day because the response time for each button press is measured in minutes, and missing calls because the phone is so laggy that they go to voice mail before you can get it to respond.
    Clearly you haven't used a BB7 device because none of that happens on the Bold 9930. Reboot is right around 2 minutes and I have NEVER done a battery pull due to lag or lock up. It's quick and snappy and a pleasure to use.
    10-12-11 03:12 AM
    I went to a verizon kiosk at the mall today. I picked up the 9930 and he asked if I needed help with anything. I asked if he had any idea when they would get the 9850. He said "Don't know." "Blackberry is a dying breed and won't be around much longer" He proceeded to tell me that the new upgrade is junk and the browser is still terrible. Android phones have 660,000 apps available and most are free, while blackberry app world has 300-400 apps and you have to pay for them. I asked if I were to consider buying an android what was comparable. He basically said nothing is, blackberry is just not a good phone. I asked him if Verizon was going to continue carrying blackberry and he said he didn't know. He said that BB was number one in sales in 2008-and beginning of '09. I said wasn't that just 2 years ago. He said yeah but as soon as Android came along they became the top seller. He said there were 28 android phones available and just a few blackberries. I asked what about when qnx phones come out. He said we dont even carry the playbook. All the major carriers denied the playbook. We went on to talk about bb compared to android as far as battery life and he said that its hard to say. He said his android lasts three days. Anyways, just interesting to see what kind of sales promotion Verizon gives out. It did make me wonder if i should consider other phones instead of sticking with bb.
    sounds like he was just trying to get more money out of you but selling you droid, and also just seems like he was trying to tell you his opinion which to me doesnt sound good at all, and im pretty sure he didnt own a bb and he was just telling you what hes experienced with there demo unit.
    10-12-11 04:57 AM
    My biggest gripe so far is the language icon on the 9850 keyboard. I wish there was some way to disable it. I haven't found the need to type in 20 different Asian languages. Accidentaly hitting that when I am typing in portrait happens a good amount of times. I wish I could disable it. Reboot tiimes seem to be around a minute or less on this phone, never timed it though.

10-12-11 05:12 AM
    As a former VZW rep I tried to sell what was less likely to be returned, and keep the customer happy. I hated when folks came in wanting a Storm 1. It had so many complaints that I knew it was a crap device. I tried to direct people away from it, sometimes successfully. Sometimes not.

In the end, it is the customers choice. I could only qualify and educate them.

Probably Android and iPhone have less returns and malfunctions. I know my Tour had the white screen of death many times, and I'm reading that the newly released BlackBerry devices still have that happen. That's unacceptable.

BlackBerry devices are most likely to disappoint unless the person is a die hard BlackBerry fan and wants nothing else.
    Seriously we get it. You don't like BlackBerry. That's cool, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The thing that I don't get is that if you don't like BlackBerry why do you spend so much time posting on a BlackBerry Forum? Do you really have nothing better to do with your time?
    10-12-11 03:14 PM
    I perferva blackberry over a droid anyday and im using a droid now. Its so glitchy and unreliable its not funny. It is just my opinion and not because this is cb but because you have bb ppl and droid ppl. Im a bb person. And if i had to do it all over again i wouldve kept my 8520 instead of buying a droid. I miss my bb.

Im not on vrz net. Because i never liked vrz. But id go with bb either way

10-12-11 03:31 PM
191 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD