Yeah, well I only get a new phone every two years with Verizon. Either way, a QNX phone STILL is not out and RIM is just plain non-competitive in the app market. Its not just games (which I don't care about), its every day productivity. My bank has apps for instant access to my accounts for iPhone and Android, but none and no plans to make any for BB. That's far more common than not. RIM is stuck in the past and dying slowly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    My bank does not have an app but does have a mobile site which I can easily access on my Torch 2. While there are a few apps that I miss, there are usually easy work-arounds.
    09-05-11 07:46 AM
    The browser absolutely sucks. Ever try to precisely select some text to copy/paste? Its total frustration as the web page jumps around all over the freaking place. Same with simply trying to scroll through some web sites. After a while you just give up.

Problem is RIM and the carriers quickly abandon phones and then you are like me, stuck with old barely functional junk. Android and iPhone keep getting updates.

How many more years before RIM markets a QNX phone? How many generations will it be behind the competition then?

Again, just as a counter-point, the browser on the new OS7 phones are much better than on older BB's.
    09-05-11 07:49 AM
    Even when used in your own house? I know my dad is upgrading his iphone to get mobile hotspot. He used mine for his iPad so much.

I didn't really think of it as a security risk.

welcome back chrisy. thank you for hijacking every thread again.
    09-05-11 08:02 AM
    As to the original topic, I'm afraid we are in an age where you can't trust much of what you hear or are told. Too many agendas, tech-evangelism, white lies to bump profits, and misinformation. It's a figure it out for yourself world we now find ourselves in. Go into your choice with clear needs, goals, and a bit of hands-on, and don't be swayed by the hash. If that choice doesn't work out, make a different one.

It is sad, though, how RIM isn't policing it's sales channels. There have to be clauses in their resale contracts with the carriers that assure fair representation.

I'm not laughing at all. This is my experience. I've had 2 blackberries and never will I have another. I'm tired of the multiple battery pulls every day. I'm tired of pushing a button on the phone and then setting my sun dial to see when it will respond. I'm tired of missing calls because the phone won't respond when I try to answer them. I'm tired of waiting for promised phones and operating systems that should have been out years ago and are still just vapoware. My wife has a cheap LG Android and it's light years ahead of my BB in terms of usability. RIM can get bent. The entire smart phone world has passed them by and they are falling further behind every single day.
    Good luck with that. You have to do what's best for you, but in my experience...

The Storm 1 experience <> current BBOS experiences. BBOS 5.x <> current BBOS experiences.

On Android, get ready for:
    1. 4 hour useful time between charges
    2. MANY of those wonderful free apps to force close regularly. After an OS upgrade, even more totally break. Go on app world and read the comments for the Facebook app, or the YouTube app. Both big players, with horribly broken apps, and wildly varying experiences among users.
    3. NO alert / ring profiles. All you can profile is volume. There are apps, but not one approaches what a BB with BerryBuzz provides
    4. No meaningful LED notification. Fire up that power hungry screen several times an hour to see if you have messages and see where that leaves you.
    5. If your messaging, contacts, and calendar are not "Googleized", get ready for the pain of trying to tack on and sync third party apps.
    6. Mega data usage from your carrier. Granted QNX berries will probably use a bit more than BBOS, but damn, when a phone goes on line for EVERYTHING using uncompressed transmission, your carrier will be making money.
    7. That turn-by-turn navigation is a great tool to have in a pinch, but also eats lots of data from your provider and juice from your battery, and frequently goes dumb when coverage is sketchy.
    8. OS's and OS upgrades that cripple your device. Why do you think there are hundreds if not thousands of communities online centered around rooting / modifying Android? It becomes a debugging hobby, not a workhorse. And, yes, before you rip BBOS for being buggy, there are warts, but they are minor in comparison and the vast majority don't kill core functionality. Remember, Android is written by an advertising company who's goal is to get "eyes on the web" and hits to Google servers, not to deliver outstanding phone OS's. It's prolific because it's free and increases margins on devices.

If none of this bothers you, then go for it. Android does offer a ton of apps and flexibility. It's just meant as a general lighter-duty consumer OS, and starts to break up when you use it hard.

BTW - I did use the platform heavily for 3 months, stock and rooted, tweaked to **** and back. I just couldn't trust a device that would do a new strange thing at bad times on a daily basis.
    Last edited by TBacker; 09-05-11 at 08:25 AM.
    kashabrown and Neely2005 like this.
    09-05-11 08:02 AM
    Again, just as a counter-point, the browser on the new OS7 phones are much better than on older BB's.

He doesn't want to believe that things have changed for the better, and that the advancement in the partnership between hardware and software for RIM from an previous devices to this latest batch is one of the most significant jumps since Android 1.6 to Android 2.0 and their respective hardware improvements that came at the time.

The New BlackBerry's really are 2-3 RIM generations ahead of their predecessors, which is FINALLY something RIM has done right, hopefully we wont be saying RIM Generations by the second generation of QNX as people will have forgotten how marginal updates used to be.

but BASHING RIM and saying they are so far behind when you are not using the latest device is really just showing you are far behind. not the company who HAS released an excellent browser, who has improved the app development environments and is continuing to do so, who HAS brought the hardware to "modern" specs to be competitive with other All in house solution providers.
    YourMobileGuru and Neely2005 like this.
    09-05-11 08:27 AM
    He gave you good advice. Get the Blackberry only if you like 15+ minute boot times, having to do battery pulls multiple times every day because the response time for each button press is measured in minutes, and missing calls because the phone is so laggy that they go to voice mail before you can get it to respond. I hate my Blackberry and can't wait to dump this POS for Android this December when I'm eligible to upgrade. Never again will I use a BB. Bye Bye RIM- you are stuck in the dark ages of technology. Everyone has passed you by and your sales show it. I wouldn't be surprised if they were out of business within two years.
    If you are basing this on your profile Storm, I don�t blame you� I tried it for a few weeks and couldn�t deal. Laggy, heated up, slow, lock ups, slow boot, unresponsive. The 9930 is light years ahead of any RIM device prior.
    09-05-11 08:51 AM
    I tried the 9930 @ my local sprint store,it is a bad mofo of a phone and I will be upgrading to it in oct.I can type better on it than my curve b/c keyboard fits my fat fingers.browser is sweet and fast.touchscreen is nice too.

YourMobileGuru likes this.
    09-05-11 10:49 AM
    He doesn't want to believe that things have changed for the better, and that the advancement in the partnership between hardware and software for RIM from an previous devices to this latest batch is one of the most significant jumps since Android 1.6 to Android 2.0 and their respective hardware improvements that came at the time.

The New BlackBerry's really are 2-3 RIM generations ahead of their predecessors, which is FINALLY something RIM has done right, hopefully we wont be saying RIM Generations by the second generation of QNX as people will have forgotten how marginal updates used to be.

but BASHING RIM and saying they are so far behind when you are not using the latest device is really just showing you are far behind. not the company who HAS released an excellent browser, who has improved the app development environments and is continuing to do so, who HAS brought the hardware to "modern" specs to be competitive with other All in house solution providers.
    True. Hey, I didn't want to believe it until I went into the store and handled one. It is like night and day. It was one of the things that bothered me on previous BB devices but now it's an enjoyable experience.
    09-05-11 10:55 AM
    1. 4 hour useful time between charges
    2. MANY of those wonderful free apps to force close regularly. After an OS upgrade, even more totally break. Go on app world and read the comments for the Facebook app, or the YouTube app. Both big players, with horribly broken apps, and wildly varying experiences among users.
    3. NO alert / ring profiles. All you can profile is volume. There are apps, but not one approaches what a BB with BerryBuzz provides
    4. No meaningful LED notification. Fire up that power hungry screen several times an hour to see if you have messages and see where that leaves you.
    5. If your messaging, contacts, and calendar are not "Googleized", get ready for the pain of trying to tack on and sync third party apps.
    6. Mega data usage from your carrier. Granted QNX berries will probably use a bit more than BBOS, but damn, when a phone goes on line for EVERYTHING using uncompressed transmission, your carrier will be making money.
    7. That turn-by-turn navigation is a great tool to have in a pinch, but also eats lots of data from your provider and juice from your battery, and frequently goes dumb when coverage is sketchy.
    8. OS's and OS upgrades that cripple your device. Why do you think there are hundreds if not thousands of communities online centered around rooting / modifying Android? It becomes a debugging hobby, not a workhorse. And, yes, before you rip BBOS for being buggy, there are warts, but they are minor in comparison and the vast majority don't kill core functionality. Remember, Android is written by an advertising company who's goal is to get "eyes on the web" and hits to Google servers, not to deliver outstanding phone OS's. It's prolific because it's free and increases margins on devices.

And yet, with all these debilitating (a touch exaggerated, but let's ignore that) drawbacks, more and more people are adopting Android.

The VAST majority of Android users are not rooted... a recent estimate had rooted users at about 3%. That means a huge majority of Android users are happy with their devices out of the box.

Anyhoo, the new BBs are fantastic. Been playing with one for a few hours. Had this come out last year, I would have probably stayed, warts and all. Keep it coming, RIM. You're on the cusp.
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
    09-05-11 11:17 AM
    Is it possible the reps get better commision for pushing android phones?
    When i got my first bb curve from alltel, the rep there actually was pushing blackberry over the other smart phones in the shop .
    09-05-11 11:59 AM
    Is it possible the reps get better commision for pushing android phones?
    When i got my first bb curve from alltel, the rep there actually was pushing blackberry over the other smart phones in the shop .
    It is more than likely an inventory thing,

if you sell a person on Android as an OS, then you have more products to show them and more price points to try and get the most you can out of them. if they return it in 15 days you can put them into another device with the same OS and no new training.

when you have 30 SKU's of Android devices, 3 of iPhone devices, and 3-5 of RIM devices, you will favor the greater SKU count since Management will want to see more turns from within that SKU inventory.
    09-05-11 12:08 PM
    i have been back and forth between iphone and rim. and will be until i see what vzw has to offer in november when it is time for me to upgrade.
    09-05-11 12:36 PM
    Another reason to dump BB- no NFL Fantasy Football app to track your draft/team.... available only for iPhone and Android
    09-05-11 01:03 PM
    As to the original topic, I'm afraid we are in an age where you can't trust much of what you hear or are told. Too many agendas, tech-evangelism, white lies to bump profits, and misinformation. It's a figure it out for yourself world we now find ourselves in. Go into your choice with clear needs, goals, and a bit of hands-on, and don't be swayed by the hash. If that choice doesn't work out, make a different one.

It is sad, though, how RIM isn't policing it's sales channels. There have to be clauses in their resale contracts with the carriers that assure fair representation.

Good luck with that. You have to do what's best for you, but in my experience...

The Storm 1 experience <> current BBOS experiences. BBOS 5.x <> current BBOS experiences. I have a Storm 2

1. 4 hour useful time between charges I have no more than that on my Storm 2 now. Sometimes much less from a full charge.
    2. MANY of those wonderful free apps to force close regularly. After an OS upgrade, even more totally break. Go on app world and read the comments for the Facebook app, or the YouTube app. Both big players, with horribly broken apps, and wildly varying experiences among users. No different than full battery pulls with 15+ minute boots that I have now. Likely better, actually.
    3. NO alert / ring profiles. All you can profile is volume. There are apps, but not one approaches what a BB with BerryBuzz provides I use Alert Matrix Pro on BB. Not available for other platforms, but the Missed Call app for Android does the same thing (I use my BB as a pager and Missed Call will do the same thing on Android)
    4. No meaningful LED notification. Fire up that power hungry screen several times an hour to see if you have messages and see where that leaves you. Missed Call should solve this too.
    5. If your messaging, contacts, and calendar are not "Googleized", get ready for the pain of trying to tack on and sync third party apps. Already use Google Calendar. It was the only way to share calendars with my wife, who has an Android.
    6. Mega data usage from your carrier. Granted QNX berries will probably use a bit more than BBOS, but damn, when a phone goes on line for EVERYTHING using uncompressed transmission, your carrier will be making money. Not really, as I am grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan on Verizon.
    7. That turn-by-turn navigation is a great tool to have in a pinch, but also eats lots of data from your provider and juice from your battery, and frequently goes dumb when coverage is sketchy. I have a dedicated GPS in the car. Data usage is not a problem.
    Using my wife's Android is just as easy as my Storm 2, better in many respects. Is it different? Sure. I'd say it's better. It's the BB that breaks down constantly and is extremely limited in app choices and capacity that has me wanting to switch. RIM needs to stand up and tak notice.

If none of this bothers you, then go for it. Android does offer a ton of apps and flexibility. It's just meant as a general lighter-duty consumer OS, and starts to break up when you use it hard.

BTW - I did use the platform heavily for 3 months, stock and rooted, tweaked to **** and back. I just couldn't trust a device that would do a new strange thing at bad times on a daily basis.

I have till December to figure out what I'm going to do...
    09-05-11 01:30 PM

If RIM markets a QNX touch screen before I'm due for a new phone in December, I'll definitely give it a look. BUT, I'm not holding my breath. They have been talking about the QNX vapoware for how long now? Meanwhile, other companies are actually putting product and updates on the market. Talk is cheap and meaningless if you never deliver.
    09-05-11 01:37 PM
    Another reason to dump BB- no NFL Fantasy Football app to track your draft/team.... available only for iPhone and Android
    Well, there you go. Everyone should dump BB because of this.
    09-05-11 01:53 PM
    Lol, it was a joke.

09-05-11 01:59 PM
    Sandman, you are.... Hmmm. Need to be polite, here. You are basing your opinions on an outdated piece of hardware with an outdated OS. If you bother to read responses to your...claims...then you would know this.

I hereby present you a challenge: go to your nearest mobile store (not ATT) and try the 9930. Try the browser, try the keyboard, try the media player, then finally TRY THE REBOOT. You will take ALL of your claims back and apologize.

YourMobileGuru and Neely2005 like this.
    09-05-11 02:00 PM
    Good lord, say it isn't so.
    09-05-11 02:00 PM
    I understand your point. Counter-proposal: I'll wait till December when I get a new phone. We'll see what RIM has out then. But I don't want to get stuck with a phone that will be EOL'd 6 months into a two year contract and then get nothing new other than updates that fix some features while breaking others ala Storm 2. I'd prefer full 4"+ touch screen, possibly a qwerty slider. HDMI out, WiFi hotspot capable, etc. Enough memory that I can have all the apps I want and not worry about slowing the phone to a crawl. One thing I don't see RIM fixing is the lack of apps.

Last edited by Sandman333; 09-05-11 at 08:22 PM.
    09-05-11 02:08 PM
    I understand your point. Counter-proposal: I'll wait till December when I get a new phone. We'll see what RIM has out then. But I don't want to get stuck with a phone that will be EOL'd 6 months into a two year contract and then get nothing new other than updates that fix some features while breaking others ala Storm 2. I'd prefer full 4"+ touch screen, possibly a qwerty slider. HDMI out, WiFi hotshot capable, etc. Enough memory that I can have all the apps I want and not worry about slowing the phone to a crawl. One thing I don't see RIM fixing is the lack of apps.

But you don't need apps. Everyone knows that simple shortcuts will do. Anything more is for farting.
    09-05-11 02:58 PM
    I understand your point. Counter-proposal: I'll wait till December when I get a new phone. We'll see what RIM has out then. But I don't want to get stuck with a phone that will be EOL'd 6 months into a two year contract and then get nothing new other than updates that fix some features while breaking others ala Storm 2. I'd prefer full 4"+ touch screen, possibly a qwerty slider. HDMI out, WiFi hotshot capable, etc. Enough memory that I can have all the apps I want and not worry about slowing the phone to a crawl. One thing I don't see RIM fixing is the lack of apps.

Look, Sandman, no one here is going to change your mind if you have it made up already. You refuse to even go TRY a newer BB to see what we are seeing. OS7 will not be EOL'd 6 months after QNX comes out. Where did you read that? If you want tons of apps and HDMI out then, by all means, get an Android or iPhone. They are nice phones - but they have drawbacks to. Just don't continue to say BB is outdated, slow, etc. when we know it's not.
    09-05-11 03:36 PM
    But you don't need apps. Everyone knows that simple shortcuts will do. Anything more is for farting.
    And what's wrong with farting?

Seriously, VZW reps I have encountered try to sell what they know, what they have themselves or what they have in stock and/or what they are told to try to sell. I could probably do most everything I really need with an iPhone or Android, but I am very comfortable with my BlackBerry right now or at least until something comes out for another platform that I cannot live without on my phone. Obviously everyone has their own opinion of which phone better suits their individual needs and if it is the phone that has more games or more business apps that they need, then so be it, if it is a security or email thing, so be it, and if it is the phone that is prettier or has more fart apps, then go for it!
    09-05-11 03:45 PM
    i think as far as big red goes, they push the phones that have 4G LTE. it's clear their marketing is geared towards the 4G LTE network. rim has no 4G phones.

i don't know about the other carriers, but vzn reps push androids big time.
    09-05-11 04:39 PM
    Look, Sandman, no one here is going to change your mind if you have it made up already. You refuse to even go TRY a newer BB to see what we are seeing. OS7 will not be EOL'd 6 months after QNX comes out. Where did you read that? If you want tons of apps and HDMI out then, by all means, get an Android or iPhone. They are nice phones - but they have drawbacks to. Just don't continue to say BB is outdated, slow, etc. when we know it's not.
    I said I would give it a look when I am up for a new phone, right? Did you not read that?
    09-05-11 07:08 PM
191 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD