I went to a verizon kiosk at the mall today. I picked up the 9930 and he asked if I needed help with anything. I asked if he had any idea when they would get the 9850. He said "Don't know." "Blackberry is a dying breed and won't be around much longer" He proceeded to tell me that the new upgrade is junk and the browser is still terrible. Android phones have 660,000 apps available and most are free, while blackberry app world has 300-400 apps and you have to pay for them. I asked if I were to consider buying an android what was comparable. He basically said nothing is, blackberry is just not a good phone. I asked him if Verizon was going to continue carrying blackberry and he said he didn't know. He said that BB was number one in sales in 2008-and beginning of '09. I said wasn't that just 2 years ago. He said yeah but as soon as Android came along they became the top seller. He said there were 28 android phones available and just a few blackberries. I asked what about when qnx phones come out. He said we dont even carry the playbook. All the major carriers denied the playbook. We went on to talk about bb compared to android as far as battery life and he said that its hard to say. He said his android lasts three days. Anyways, just interesting to see what kind of sales promotion Verizon gives out. It did make me wonder if i should consider other phones instead of sticking with bb.
    09-03-11 07:35 PM
    Well as a person has had both platforms let me give you my perspective.

I love the blackberry keyboard i love how easy it is to type and that you dont have to look at the phone while doing so. Its still the best device for email services if you need them immediately once they are sent.

Android on the other hand has thousands of apps, most are free so its more of a phone that helps you waste your time, but its beefy and they have great browsers on it. My android phone battery doesnt last very long especially if I have it always syncing with my email accounts so thats something I miss.

Over all each has its good and bad things about it. Blackberry is not dying and is still the number one phone in many countries. The rep was speaking to you on more of a personal level and not some trying to help you make the best decision and thats MHO.
    09-03-11 07:40 PM
    This is very common behavior among Verizon Reps. This is why you always do your own research. If possible talk to some android owners (on the web or in person) and ask what their opinion is over android. Ask what phone they have, the battery life they get on it and how much they use it, you may also want to ask if there is anything that they don't like about their android phones.

The reps are there to sell you a phone that will make them the most money. A phone owner has no reason to make you get their phone or any other so they be the source for the most honest opinion. Trust me if there is something they don't like about their phone and you ask, they WILL tell you about it.
    Revord and Ammunet91 like this.
    09-03-11 07:49 PM
    As a former VZW rep I tried to sell what was less likely to be returned, and keep the customer happy. I hated when folks came in wanting a Storm 1. It had so many complaints that I knew it was a crap device. I tried to direct people away from it, sometimes successfully. Sometimes not.

In the end, it is the customers choice. I could only qualify and educate them.

Probably Android and iPhone have less returns and malfunctions. I know my Tour had the white screen of death many times, and I'm reading that the newly released BlackBerry devices still have that happen. That's unacceptable.

BlackBerry devices are most likely to disappoint unless the person is a die hard BlackBerry fan and wants nothing else.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-03-11 at 07:52 PM.
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
    09-03-11 07:49 PM
    Ummm....... No most business users use this phone whether or not the "white screen of death" happens. Also did you try the phone at all? How are you going to know....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-11 08:09 PM
    Interesting thread. My experience with verizon reps is that they're not always well rounded in the feature sets of many of the phones and tend to go with whatever is popular. I am someone who chose a blackberry 8330 over the iPhone because I didn't want to switch to AT&T. I loved the the curve and graduated to the Storm1 when it came out. Disappointed, I jumped on to the Tour and loved it, however, I tried the moto droid when it came out because I thought I would like a functioning touch screen phone. I have since picked up a 9650 and a Droid x and prefer the 9650. My point is simple...there is a functionality inherent in the blackberry phones that give them an edge over other devices. Android phones at times feel like entertainment devices...games, etc... My Blackberry is dependable and is simply a better communication device which is what a phone should be. Apps are completely overrated. Playing games on a phone is such a waste of time..get an iPad if you want to do that. I have my iPad and my blackberry and have found the perfect combination for me. I plan to grab a 9330 at the end of the month when one of my lines comes up for an upgrade. I have faith in RIM.
    09-03-11 08:17 PM
    Good saying! That's what I'm talking about! I totally hate android because of Data Consumption and more. Go on Blackberry live strong!

09-03-11 08:23 PM
    My father uses an iPhone for the business he owns and runs.

I hate games. Both Android and iPhone have more business related features and apps than BlackBerry.

As for data. I have unlimited. I use about 5GB a month, but it doesn't matter.
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    09-03-11 08:27 PM
    Well yes that's true but the problem is iPhone doesn't have those juicy enterprise features which others have. You are lucky for having 5 GB. Most people don't have it and apps are not what you want. You only want core business app.

09-03-11 08:35 PM
    Most IT departments, including government, are now allowing iPhone device. Can you take payments yet with BlackBerry? Do they have mobile hotspots?
    09-03-11 08:41 PM
    Well reps do have some expectations up to which they need to live... all about magical sales quotas.. one rep I talked to wasn't aware of the new BB , because I wanted to play with it..

When I told him I'm still upgrade eligible, he pushed me to get a Thunderbolt, even when I told him I just got my Incredible off of eBay.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    09-03-11 08:50 PM
    @ 0:27

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    09-03-11 09:21 PM

I love the blackberry keyboard i love how easy it is to type and that you dont have to look at the phone while doing so. Its still the best device for email services if you need them immediately once they are sent.

Android on the other hand has thousands of apps, most are free so its more of a phone that helps you waste your time, but its beefy and they have great browsers on it. My android phone battery doesnt last very long especially if I have it always syncing with my email accounts so thats something I miss.

Over all each has its good and bad things about it. Blackberry is not dying and is still the number one phone in many countries. The rep was speaking to you on more of a personal level and not some trying to help you make the best decision and thats MHO.
    09-03-11 09:26 PM
    I was browsing at a Verizon store a few months ago and an evil female rep told me that Verizon wasn't going to carry BlackBerrys anymore! Now, I knew she was lying, but I wonder how many people believe reps like her that when they give bogus info?

09-03-11 09:27 PM
    Most IT departments, including government, are now allowing iPhone device.
    I find this hard to believe. Tech sector maybe, but not Government.
    09-03-11 09:29 PM
    I was browsing at a Verizon store a few months ago and an evil female rep told me that Verizon wasn't going to carry BlackBerrys anymore! Now, I knew she was lying, but I wonder how many people believe reps like her that when they give bogus info?

Fear of losing her job?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    09-03-11 09:30 PM
    I went to a verizon kiosk at the mall today. I picked up the 9930 and he asked if I needed help with anything. I asked if he had any idea when they would get the 9850. He said "Don't know." "Blackberry is a dying breed and won't be around much longer" He proceeded to tell me that the new upgrade is junk and the browser is still terrible. Android phones have 660,000 apps available and most are free, while blackberry app world has 300-400 apps and you have to pay for them. I asked if I were to consider buying an android what was comparable. He basically said nothing is, blackberry is just not a good phone. I asked him if Verizon was going to continue carrying blackberry and he said he didn't know. He said that BB was number one in sales in 2008-and beginning of '09. I said wasn't that just 2 years ago. He said yeah but as soon as Android came along they became the top seller. He said there were 28 android phones available and just a few blackberries. I asked what about when qnx phones come out. He said we dont even carry the playbook. All the major carriers denied the playbook. We went on to talk about bb compared to android as far as battery life and he said that its hard to say. He said his android lasts three days. Anyways, just interesting to see what kind of sales promotion Verizon gives out. It did make me wonder if i should consider other phones instead of sticking with bb.
    What you witnessed was what is wrong with RIM. All of these company's are publicly traded and sales drive their stock. Android and Apple are doing their stockholders justice but RIM is not. RIM is in the smart phone business and to stay competitive they need to compete with other companies. What I am saying is QNX should of been out over two years ago and its still not out this is not being competitive.
    I just purchased the bold 9930 and I am coming from Android and will admit Android is better in many ways I personally like certain things about this phone that made me switch.
    As this time there are a lot of everyday apps that don't work on my bold and they should for a new phone. So if rim would keep up with the other platforms they would be winners!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-03-11 09:41 PM
    Yeah. I'd have set him straight by pointing out that the new Bold 9930 has an average rating of 5 stars on the Verizon wireless site. The only other device that does is the white refurb iPhone 4.
    09-03-11 09:52 PM
    Well to be honest, I hardly ever see a Rep/Cons/etc ever carriering a Blackberry now a days. I'm shocked everytime I see someone with one, and I mean just seeing anyone with one. To be honest, the only manufacturer rep I've ever seen was a BB one.

I just think it's just a two player game for now. Google has the numbers, while Apple has the power. There's hardly anything else to keep other game players in the league.
    Most companies suggest their employees to recommend Iphones or Androids, cause they know that's what most people will be satisfied with. Even if it's not the best choice for them. It's then really hard for people to change once they become accustom to something, and most don't want to go through the trouble of swapping before the contract sets in.

It's like a stereotype kind of thing, and also can be compared with how the way the world appeal is. Just as the world looks at health fitness... then again, they did work for that body, and the results do look good...
    austriker likes this.
    09-03-11 10:21 PM

Android on the other hand has thousands of apps, most are free so its more of a phone that helps you waste your time
    Agreed 100%, if you want to waste time android or iPhone is the way to go, but if you want communication than nothing communicates easier than a blackberry...period! I want to be effective in my life, just can't do it with 660,000 distractions!
    09-03-11 10:35 PM
    That rep needs to be set completely straight and do their research and quit being so ******* rude or giving out completely bogus information in order to force people or make a sale using dishonest tactics or misleading them. I haven't encountered any of that in my area and if I did, I would be sure to get it on the internet either in video, audio or both.

Just my two cents.

PS. RIM isn't dying at all. Verizon rep is gonna lose her/his job sooner or later.

09-03-11 10:55 PM
    Agreed 100%, if you want to waste time android or iPhone is the way to go, but if you want communication than nothing communicates easier than a blackberry...period! I want to be effective in my life, just can't do it with 660,000 distractions!
    This makes perfect sense because with more and more people out of work and out of a job the more android and apple devices will shine. Blackberrys are for people who do real business and need to communicate efficiently. This is what Rim built them for and are the best at doing just that.
    YourMobileGuru and melb_me like this.
    09-04-11 12:35 AM
    Verizon just told me to buy an iPhone when I was in the other day "nobody wants a BlackBerry anymore..." But I don't really blame them, that's what everyone says these days from co-workers to neighbors to friends. BBQ last weekend and friends were shocked when I told them my company allows Android, iPhone, and BB -- "you actually chose a BlackBerry??"

We have an image problem -- from Verizon stores to the grocery store to our next door neighbor. It's frankly well deserved with these subpar products RIM has been building until recently. I just keep evangelizing and we all need to cross our fingers that QNX really delivers us to the promised land of consumer relevance.
    roninksb likes this.
    09-04-11 01:20 AM
    Honestly a lot of these reps know nothing about blackberry.. I work for T-mobile and I went into my girlfriends store today she works for At&t, I was talking to one of the reps to see how the new torch was selling! He proceeded to say that he does not know anything about blackberry there for he doesn't sell it... That pissed me off just because you don't know anything about a device doesn't mean you turn off everyone that comes in the store asking for a blackberry and tell them not to get one.. What the **** up with that! I ALWAYS find out what the customer is looking for and sell them the correct device for THEM.. Not just what's popular.. I hate reps that don't do there homework!

09-04-11 02:18 AM
    to me this is no different from the reviewers saying the 9900 is a great awesome phone but dont leave android or iphone for it. it does seem like the cell phone community as a whole wants to get rid of RIM for some reason. the reality is RIM is here to stay there is a reason they have so many fans and people like there phones.
    09-04-11 02:52 AM
191 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD