Hey guys, I have a question thats kindof confusing so bear with me. I have a droid 2 global and I hate it. In june my mom has an upgrade that she doesnt want to use. She said she would be willing to give it to me soo if I take her upgrade for her and deactivate my droid, do i have to pay early termination fee for the droid? Like whats gunna happen is my mom is gunnna keep her current phone and just let me use her upgrade for the 2-year contract. But what happens to my droid 2 year contract? kind of confusing. Let me know if I can clarify.
    04-25-11 04:47 AM
    Contracts are contracts and phones are phones. Your contract will still expire when it's supposed to, and your mom won't be eligible for an upgrade until her renewed contract is up. There will be no problem with an ETF. People use others upgrades all the time.
    I will offer a suggestion that you put up the extra 70 bucks or so for your new device and get a 1 year contract if possible. That way if mom's phone dies she won't be stuck paying full price for a replacement.
    04-25-11 05:48 AM
    I think this only works if the two of your are on a family plan together. If you each have separate plans I don't think you can do this.

I've done this before but I have three other phones on my family plan.
    04-25-11 08:26 AM
    Didn't Verizon do away with 1-year contracts?
    04-25-11 08:33 AM
    Well it is a little more complicated if they are on different plans. In that instance his mom would have to upgrade to the phone he wants but activate it on his line. If that won't work she'll have to upgrade then reactivate her old phone first, then give the phone to him. I gave my Tour to my son after activating my Bold this way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-11 08:33 AM
    Didn't Verizon do away with 1-year contracts?
    Gosh I hope not! I don't think you can do a 1 year for an iPhone, but I hope you can for other stuff.

04-25-11 08:37 AM
    Unfortunately as jlb21 described, 1 year contracts are history at Verizon (as of 4/19/11) for all types of phones. I know a lot of us were (and are) willing to pay the extra $70 to be able to upgrade our phones every year so I hope Verizon re-considers.
    04-25-11 09:21 AM
    That kind of makes me not want to sign a contract at all, at least for my line.

04-25-11 09:26 AM
    sorry if i didnt make it clear, we are on a family plan =]
    04-25-11 04:27 PM
    sorry if i didnt make it clear, we are on a family plan =]
    No problem, either way you have your answer. Buy your mom something really nice for Mother's Day.

04-25-11 04:34 PM
    Yes you can use her upgrade. All you have to do is sign a 2 year contract under on her line(dont have to activate the phone at all) and then just active the new phone's ESN on your line. I have done it several times and used others upgrade on my plan without a problem. There's no early termination fee which only applies if you cancel your phone line before the contract is up.
    Last edited by hondateg91; 04-25-11 at 04:40 PM.
    04-25-11 04:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD