I am a Verizon BB user and I want to know if there is any way to get there email to push through faster. I use msn.com as my email provider. Is there any setting I can change anywhere that will push email through right away rather than the 15 minute cycle? Is there another email provider that works faster on Verizon? Or am I stuck?
    Last edited by BBPower; 04-13-11 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Content
    04-13-11 07:36 AM
    No, there isn't any settings you can change. E-mail should be going through faster than 15 minutes. I would suspect it's on the MSN.com side.

If you want to try a different e-mail provider I would recommend getting a gmail account. You can have your calendar and contacts since up with gmail. It works great.
    04-13-11 07:42 AM
    I know with Gmail, you can have out linked to other email accounts and set the poll frequency. I'm not sure if you can link Gmail to msn, but it might be worth looking in to. I believe Gmail pushes, so you wouldn't be restricted to the BIS server's poll frequency of your msn account.
    04-13-11 07:55 AM
    Sometimes it is 1 minute sometimes it is 5 minutes sometimes it is 10 minutes.... It seems to depend on the cycle of the 15 minute slot that it is received in. I just want to nail down the consistency. I never had a problem when we were on Sprint, that's why I think it is something to do with Verizon. I could email someone like I was sending and receiving SMS messages. Therefore I don't believe that msn is the source of the problem. Also one of my business partners is using a D2 with yahoo account another is using D2 with aol and they both have similar lag times on receiving emails. This morning I am in the office and emails are about 3 minutes behind, but I am on wifi. I get all of my emails I am just trying to eliminate the lag that occurs between the desktop receiving it and my BB receiving it. Occasionally this has presented a problem for me. What am I missing?
    Last edited by BBPower; 04-13-11 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Added information
    04-13-11 08:00 AM
    gmail is the best, it pushes out instantly
    04-13-11 09:33 AM
    Yahoo pushes instantly, too. AOL is pretty good, instant for the most part.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-11 09:45 AM
    +1 for Gmail. Nearly instantaneous for me. And like others have stated you can forward other accounts to it and take advantage of the speeeeed!

04-13-11 09:56 AM
    Thanks for the input. I have a GMail account so right now I am forwarding to it. I am Very Impressed with the speed. Still don't quite understand how it is so much faster, even with forwarding from one account's email to the other it is blazing fast. Looks as though I will probably be changing primary accounts.
    Anyone have any thoughts to why? Does GMail just have lesser quality firewall, virus scanners?
    04-13-11 10:52 AM
    It's not that gmail is so much faster than the others (yahoo, aol, etc.) it's just that hotmail is so much slower. It's a known issue with hotmail.

04-13-11 10:57 AM
    [QUOTE=T�nis;6219295]It's not that gmail is so much faster than the others (yahoo, aol, etc.) it's just that hotmail is so much slower. It's a known issue with hotmail.

I am not sure about that. Both my partners have issues as well. One is AOL and One is Yahoo. The one on Yahoo is testing this as well and is pretty sure he is gonna change to GMail also.
    04-13-11 11:02 AM
    Microsoft blocked remote downloading of Hotmail so the API is slower I think. Gmail offers full SSL IMAP and POP3.
    04-13-11 12:05 PM
    MSN.com is basically the same as hotmail. BIS polls it on a 15 minute interval until a mail comes and then it does 5 minutes for a span of time and goes up until it's back to 15 minutes. You cannot change, that.

Microsoft Supports ActiveSync, DeltaSync, and POP3. Not IMAP.

IMAP is more instantaneous because IMAP clients (on the BIS client) get notified very fast when a mail comes in. POP doesn't do that.

Google and AOL use IMAP. I'm assuming Yahoo! using IMAP as well, since it does in WP7.

I don't expect Microsoft to deploy IMAP for Live/Hotmail/MSN email because every other smartphone platform supports ActiveSync, they Push Mail to Outlook/Windows Live Mail using DeltaSync on the Desktop, and POP3 is an unattractive fallback for people who aren't on Windows or don't have an ActiveSync-capable phone.

There is some app called AstraSync or something that can give you some ActiveSync capabilities, but it's expensive as ****. Might be worth a try if you have money to fork over for the app/subscription.
    04-13-11 05:26 PM
    Microsoft blocked remote downloading of Hotmail so the API is slower I think. Gmail offers full SSL IMAP and POP3.
    Incorrect. Uses POP3, DeltaSync (their own Push Protocol for Desktop Clients like Outlook with the Connector and Windows Live Mail), and ActiveSync. Both DeltaSync and ActiveSync support SSL, and both are superior to IMAP and POP3 since both of them have are pushed and have support for Synching all of your PIM data, not just email.

Microsoft just doesn't see a reason to support IMAP. Most Desktop users on on Windows (and can use WLMail or Outlook + Connector) and most smartphone users use an OS with ActiveSync support built-in (Symbian, WinMo, WP7, Android, iOS, WebOS all support Exchange ActiveSync).
    04-13-11 05:28 PM
    It's not that gmail is so much faster than the others (yahoo, aol, etc.) it's just that hotmail is so much slower. It's a known issue with hotmail.

Again, wrong. Hotmail isn't slower. If you use ActiveSync, Hotmail comes in as fast as GMail over BIS. It's just that Hotmail doesn't use IMAP so the BIS server has to poll the Hotmail Servers, which it does at a non-configurable 15 minute interval (other detail in my above post). Yahoo, AOL, and Yahoo! all use IMAP so BIS gets notified of the mail when it comes in much faster.

Hotmail is fine as far as speed is concerned, Blackberries are just disadvantaged compared to other platforms when it comes to synching Hotmail data because the platform does not have native ActiveSync support.
    04-13-11 05:33 PM
    I know with Gmail, you can have out linked to other email accounts and set the poll frequency. I'm not sure if you can link Gmail to msn, but it might be worth looking in to. I believe Gmail pushes, so you wouldn't be restricted to the BIS server's poll frequency of your msn account.
    Correct, but GMail sets a minimum poll frequency which is not any better than BIS, so you're actually going to create more issues than you resolve by doing it that way. When someone sends you an email to one address and you reply from your BB, you'll be replying from another address... It totally messes up all your email organization and your email conversations in other clients (like Windows Live Mail or Outlook) will be broken. You'll be looking for information in different places, which is not intuitive.

Hotmail can check other email addresses as well. I have mine checking GMail so that I get everything pushed to my HD7, but I still have my Vibrant Synching Gmail since I tend to use that for all things Google and carry it everywhere with me, anyways...

Gmail is only usable to me when you have a client designed for working with the service. The Priority Inbox, Folders/Labels, Conversations implementation pretty much demands that, especially if you have more than a few filters :P
    04-13-11 05:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD