My Classic Q20 has served me well for the past 5 years. Always had a Z30 on hand as a "new" backup to replace the Q20 as the batteries are not easily removable. Just tried to switch phones on Verizon and got the "this device is no longer supported". Anybody else run into this problem?
    03-08-20 10:18 AM
    They are not longer activating phones that are not fully LTE on its network

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...twork-shutdown

I am pretty sure that the old bb10 phones all fall in this category.
    03-08-20 10:22 AM
    None of the first-gen of BB10 phones have the proper LTE bands to move forward on Verizon, so Verizon won't activate them anymore. This is the major "flaw" of buying "backup" phones that are 5 years old: the cellular networks are constantly being changed and upgraded, and will leave old handsets behind. 5 years (from initial release) is about the average time that a phone will be supported by a cellular network.
    03-08-20 02:42 PM
    Verizon has always been a pain in the ***. Especially being behind the rest of the world for so long on CDMA. (like Sprint) BlackBerry 10 phones work fine on AT&T and T-Mobile.
    03-08-20 03:23 PM
    My Classic Q20 has served me well for the past 5 years. Always had a Z30 on hand as a "new" backup to replace the Q20 as the batteries are not easily removable. Just tried to switch phones on Verizon and got the "this device is no longer supported". Anybody else run into this problem?
    Good reason to drop that old tech for something better.....
    03-08-20 03:50 PM
    For anyone clinging to their BlackBerry mobile phones, there's some good news! BlackBerry announced that they are still supporting their devices with BlackBerry OS until the end of 2020. ... While this OS is still being used until the end of 2020, Blackberry confirmed that they will be shutting down its major services
    Citation needed for that last statement, but please put it in another new thread. None of what you stated has anything to do with the OP - which is about Verizon dropping support for old LTE phones that don't support their VoLTE requirements. The issue isn't specific to BlackBerry phones, but affects all older LTE phones that don't support the bands they are using for VoLTE.
    03-09-20 05:04 PM
    For anyone clinging to their BlackBerry mobile phones, there's some good news! BlackBerry announced that they are still supporting their devices with BlackBerry OS until the end of 2020. ... While this OS is still being used until the end of 2020, Blackberry confirmed that they will be shutting down its major services

Welcome to CrackBerry!!!!! Post early and post often....

Device support EOL a/o 2019 and backend services have no official shutdown. As noted above start a new thread with sources and we’d be happy to discuss any misinformation or misleading statements
    03-09-20 05:38 PM
    Several have been told that... me included.

But then others more recently have been able to get theirs activated... so doesn't hurt to try, try again.
    03-10-20 07:20 AM
    This is the major "flaw" of buying "backup" phones
    But ... but... what about the 6 Passports that I bought in 2016 that was supposed to keep me with a real BlackBerry through 2050?
    kvndoom likes this.
    03-10-20 05:30 PM
    But ... but... what about the 6 Passports that I bought in 2016 that was supposed to keep me with a real BlackBerry through 2050?
    They never supported these to begin with, but send one to me
    03-10-20 06:13 PM
    Several have been told that... me included.

But then others more recently have been able to get theirs activated... so doesn't hurt to try, try again.
    Even if you managed to get someone to override the system and activate it, the refarming for 5G is going to "break" connectivity in a lot of areas, so it's going to be a short-term solution at best. Which is why the official policy is not to activate these phones.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-10-20 08:48 PM
    my classic still works for now
    03-11-20 10:47 AM
    my classic still works for now
    Previously activated devices will continue to work for some time. At least until the full changeover takes place in your coverage area.
    03-11-20 12:08 PM
    Even if you managed to get someone to override the system and activate it, the refarming for 5G is going to "break" connectivity in a lot of areas, so it's going to be a short-term solution at best. Which is why the official policy is not to activate these phones.
    They are LTE phones.... either the LTE isn't "right" for their VoIP, or they just didn't bother to put them on the list.

I know I had HD Voice on my Z10, but I understand that changes in technology happen all the time.

Sees they aren't on AT&T list either....
    03-11-20 03:26 PM
    There are a number of newer LTE bands that have been introduced in the 6+ years since the BB10 phones were designed, and that's the problem here. 5G rollouts and refarming of 3G frequencies will mean that many older phones will no longer work. The carriers simply don't care about the relatively tiny number of people who are still using such old phones, when they've got tens or hundreds of millions who want the new technologies and features that will be available with these changes.
    Laura Knotek and bakron1 like this.
    03-12-20 11:40 AM
    There are a number of newer LTE bands that have been introduced in the 6+ years since the BB10 phones were designed, and that's the problem here. 5G rollouts and refarming of 3G frequencies will mean that many older phones will no longer work. The carriers simply don't care about the relatively tiny number of people who are still using such old phones, when they've got tens or hundreds of millions who want the new technologies and features that will be available with these changes.
    Couldn’t have said it better myself
    03-20-20 12:38 PM
    They are not longer activating phones that are not fully LTE on its network

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...twork-shutdown

I am pretty sure that the old bb10 phones all fall in this category.
    Verizon's Network shutdown of 3g 2019 was delayed until the end of 2020 according to Verizon itself....we'll see.
    But they've stopped allowing switching of one 3g cdma device for another at the end of 2019....one wonders if you put enough pressure on them (or get the right agent) if they'll relent given a particular circumstance (given it was purchased as backup...knowing you'll have to switch at the end of the year if things go as Verizon plans).
    Won't the z30 have 4g LTE bands anyways? (as 4g will be supported for a long time still)
    So the z30 (CDMA-verizon -presuming that's what they bought) compatible Blackberry supports the following 4g bands....
    (Z30 CDMA STA100-3 (RIM Anisio))
    LTE
    Name Interface
    B4 (1700/2100 AWS 1) LTE
    B13 (700 c) LTE
    Supported LTE Protocols
    Name Generation
    LTE 4G
    03-27-20 02:38 AM
    It's not enough to have one or even two bands that match - the phone will also have to have Verizon-certified VoLTE using the specific bands they're using for that, so if it doesn't, the phone is a no-go even if that phone could get SOME data bands.

Verizon doesn't want you to complain about your phone service, so if you want to use a phone that they feel would CAUSE complaints, they simply won't let you. They'd rather you be upset about them not activating a specific phone than to be upset because an activated phone doesn't work right.
    03-27-20 12:33 PM
    I am considering buying a Classic, but I am receiving conflicting information as to whether it can be activated and supported by Verizon. I figured since it is a 4G LTE phone, it would be fine, but it is pretty unclear.
    There are many 4G/LTE phones that Verizon will no longer activate because they aren't compatible with their VoLTE service. Even though BlackBerry added IMS to the OS several years ago, none of the BB10 phones are included as supported devices.

Just being LTE capable doesn't make it VoLTE compatible. Every carrier implements it differently across different bands, and some carriers have added more bands than what these 5 to 7 year old phones support.

The Classic may, technically, support VoLTE, but Verizon simply won't support the Classic for VoLTE.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-12-20 10:11 AM
    I am considering buying a Classic, but I am receiving conflicting information as to whether it can be activated and supported by Verizon. I figured since it is a 4G LTE phone, it would be fine, but it is pretty unclear.
    It is 4G LTE... it's not clear if it works with their VoLTE implementation. Some Androids that were made around the same time (2012/2013) are also not on the approved list.

Several folks have gotten their BB10 phones activated in recent months... whereas I was told no almost a year ago for my corporate Z10 (others have shared the same experience).

Sorry but when trying to use old outdated technology... things can be difficult.

My guess is if you get a Classic, and you are told no, you could keep trying and eventuality you'd get it activated. How well it will work with the re-farming of 3G? Only time will tell.

If you don't want to deal with the uncertainty, get a more current KEY device.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-12-20 10:15 AM