Sorry for the BW if this has been discussed before.

I have a keychain BT GPS that I have been using with various nav applications - and thins morning I was looking at the links on my 8330 and followed the one for VZ Navigator. Of course it told me I should FIRST call them and sign up and THEN download the ap - but I figured - what the heck - lets try it with an external GPS. Everything seems to work except for "Where Am I?" (shouldn't that be "Where am I?").

It will create a route to a searched location destination from "My GPS Location" (ditto with the upper case L) and give you turn by turn directions as you travel. The follow me map works. That is all I have tried out so far. The audio can be heard even in a pretty noisy environment (I drive a diesel powered van) which is NOT something I can say for Nav4All - I don't think it's audio is even working correctly.
    07-23-08 01:12 PM
    I don't think that I am following your post. Are you saying that you can d/l VZ nav and use it with the external gps receiver without paying for it?

Rochelle
    07-23-08 06:15 PM
    Yes - that is what I am saying. It navigated me to and from work with voice turn by turn route instructions. It appears the GPS might have to be "initialized" by another program first - I am still playing with it. But it does indeed work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-08 06:39 PM
    I'm impressed. Are you sure that you aren't being charged for it? Did you check with verizon? I guess you could start the gps in bb maps

Beeray
    07-23-08 09:57 PM
    Well, I didn't call them or sign up on line. When it can't find the BT GPS it says it isn't provisioned and to call Verizon.

It seems to just take a while to find the GPS - like it looks for VZW GPS first and when it doesn't find it after maybe a minute or so it finds the BT GPS. It even found "my GPS location".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-08 10:21 PM
    Verizon told me, the other night, that you couldn't d/l the program without calling first. Are you going to call them or see your account online to assure you aren't being billed for this? I also have an external gps device and presently using amazegps, but the audio leaves alot to be desired on the 8330 but they are working on the problem.

Beeray
    07-23-08 10:42 PM
    Well - like I said - I didn't call them (and I sure as **** am not going to) and I didn't agree to pay any charges when I downloaded it or started the program for the first time. It doesn't appear on my on-line services - but I just downloaded it this morning - so it wouldn't yet. But it just might be their dirty little secret/company line.
    07-23-08 10:59 PM
    If it does appear on your online account, can you let us know? I should try this.

Beeray
    07-23-08 11:11 PM
    Where do you download it from? Link?
    07-23-08 11:17 PM
    If it does appear on your online account, can you let us know? I should try this.

Beeray
    Yes you should - see if you don't find the same thing I did - no where is there an "I agree to pay $x"
    07-23-08 11:23 PM
    Where do you download it from? Link?
    In the BB Browser - go to bookmarks and then scroll up to links - it is the first one on the list.
    07-23-08 11:24 PM
    It will be interesting to see if you are billed. Clearly, they will know which BB and whose BB is accessing that service. The question is without actually agreeing to their terms (unless Navigator has something you agree to when first running it) whether you can be charged. You may be subject to charges under the theory of "theft of service" even if you did not call their number or otherwise agree to the service.

Edited to add:

Well, I downloaded it. The "AGREEMENT" does not mention cost but just liability for incorrect info and use of info you use. Still, I think they could charge for its use.

I have more GPS programs on my BB than I know what to do with!!!!!!
    Last edited by F2; 07-24-08 at 12:03 AM.
    07-23-08 11:54 PM
    I have a feeling you are going to get charged, but more power to you if you don't. Any update today? Did it appear on your account?
    07-24-08 12:00 PM
    I have a feeling you are going to get charged, but more power to you if you don't. Any update today? Did it appear on your account?
    Nope - nothing.
    07-24-08 01:30 PM
    Same today. I did go to the VZW site and noticed that the version they are touting is 4.1.1 or something like that and what I downloaded was 2.9.9....

The newer version has traffic - so I am trying to figure out how to get that... a h - here is the rub

Certain VZ Navigator features are only available through Get It Now and are not compatible on the BlackBerry devices.
    07-25-08 11:22 AM
    Please see my thread in the Curve forum about calling Verizon to unlock the GPS.
    07-25-08 11:57 AM
    Already emailed.

Do we know that the vzw 8330 indeed has a GPS built in - or does VZ Nav use eGPS off the cell towers like it does with other phones?

If VZ Nav had traffic (like it does on other phones) on the BB I would likely spring for the $10/mo.
    07-25-08 12:55 PM
    Already emailed.

Do we know that the vzw 8330 indeed has a GPS built in - or does VZ Nav use eGPS off the cell towers like it does with other phones?

If VZ Nav had traffic (like it does on other phones) on the BB I would likely spring for the $10/mo.
    8330 has GPS built-in, and other carriers (Sprint, Alltel, etc.) have it unrestricted. If you want to try calling I can PM the number to you.
    07-25-08 02:03 PM
    If you want to try calling I can PM the number to you.
    Okey Dokey - something other the *611, I assume?
    07-25-08 03:41 PM
    well I took the bait and downloaded vznav
    nowhere did it ask me to agree to the fee.
    I am game. If I get charged I will cancel.
    it will be worth $10 to find out. I'll keep you posted

Cheri
    07-29-08 11:09 PM
    I want the 4.1.1 version.

Anyone know where to get that version?

I would like for them to just unlock the GPS. I really don't want to shell out the money for a GPS puck.
    07-30-08 08:41 AM
    Already emailed.

The Qualcomm chipset in the 8330 and 8830 uses aGPS by default, which requires PDE access. The PDE server is Verizon property, and they've chosen to restrict access to it to VZW-branded applications . . . as is their right. Other vendors haven't. As is their right

The same chipset purportedly supports autonomous GPS as well, but I don't believe any CDMA providers enable that.
    Last edited by Dodge Deboulet; 07-30-08 at 11:39 AM.
    07-30-08 11:34 AM
    I download the vznav and tried to use it today. but it's still locked. i got a box that said call *611 to get it unlocked. how'd you guys get around that?
    07-30-08 10:00 PM
    Uhh if your going to use their software you have to have them to add it to your account.....
    07-31-08 09:44 PM
    Well - I downloaded it and it works with my EXTERNAL BT GPS just fine.
    07-31-08 09:55 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD