I just downloaded MS' Live Search for my 8830. I've read some folks really like it and I'm trying and comparing a number of these types of programs.

I have Verizon.

I have a gps puck.

Under GPS configuration, there is a choice of BB GPS or Disabled. Nothing about an external or puck gps.

It does say "gps status: valid position"

But I'm not sure if knows where I am!!! (G)

Also, then it needs NETWORK CONFIGURATION.

I have left it at Default. Is that correct? Other choices: Direct HTTP or BES/MDS (I don't have bes, I have bis)

Then Gateway apn, Gateway IP, and Gateway Port - I've left all those blank.

Thanks in advance.
    03-29-08 11:08 AM
    If you go to Options on the BB and select Bluetooth, you should see your GPS listed as being paired.

If you go to Options on the BB and select Advanced and then GPS, you should see the same device listed in the step above as the GPS Data Source. If it isn't, click on the data source that is listed and select your GPS device. Fos GPS Services on that screen, select Location On.

For me on an Verizon 8130 with external GPS, I usually have to run the BB Maps application and click Start GPS Navigation and then other apps will pick up the GPS. If I don't do that, the other apps don't always connect to the GPS. I leave the BB Maps application running along with the other apps. I've run 3 or 4 simultaneously all accessing the same bluetooth GPS "puck".
    03-29-08 02:49 PM
    I've had the same experience where my GoogleMaps does not keep tracking me unless I have the BBMaps running in the background. Very frustrating. However, my Nav4All navigation software works flawlessly with GPS without BBMaps. Go figure!
    03-29-08 10:49 PM
    I have used gps-ed without any issues, too. I don't need to run other gps software in the background. It tracks your route and you can upload the track and view it on their site:

ballard | Author Ff2 | Mobile GPS Tracking Service

As you can see, the gps puck ran fine for 2 hours.

Tracks can be public or private.
    03-30-08 09:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD