Maybe not possible, otherwise theres a good possibility it would be done by now, but....

Has any developer tried to write an app that would use BBMaps to run in the background and provision?
    07-31-09 10:19 PM
    I wish and hope so if you know let me know haha

Once u use bbmaps it charges u every month or just everytime you use it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 07:49 AM
    There is no charge to use BBMaps.

Get a newer BB. All BBs after the Storm have open GPS.

08-02-09 12:37 AM
    There is no charge to use BBMaps.

Get a newer BB. All BBs after the Storm have open GPS.

Yet more bad information. The Pearl flip does not have unlocked GPS.
    08-02-09 08:47 AM
    I have a bb curve 8330 on verizon and I thought there ws a charge for using blakberry maps? I'm on a family plan with my gf and she said she saw a 10 dollar charge or something

08-02-09 09:11 AM
    You pay $10/month if you use Verizon's own Navigator program.

If you have a Verizon BB, you have to have a data plan so using BBmaps would not cost you more. I guess there is a slightly cheaper limited data plan so if you opted for that, data could cost something but I don't know the rates. I have the UNlimited data for $30/month
    08-02-09 09:13 AM
    I have a bb curve 8330 on verizon and I thought there ws a charge for using blakberry maps? I'm on a family plan with my gf and she said she saw a 10 dollar charge or something

If you saw a charge for any sort of navigation, thats for VZ Navigator not BB Maps.
    08-02-09 09:14 AM
    TOhhhh ok that's what she saw then vz navigator alright thanks for the help guys

08-02-09 09:32 AM
    So if I use the gps correct which is vz navigator then I get charged 2.99 a day or 10 a month I read

08-02-09 12:26 PM
    Yep, you get charged for VZ Nav.
    08-03-09 01:54 AM
    All BBs after the Storm have open GPS.
    Not true.

The Storm and Tour both have dual-mode GPS. Apps that can take advantage of the dual mode (not usings VZW's aGPS) will work without a problem.

Even with the Storm and Tour, if the app only uses aGPS, it will be locked out from VZW's network. VZW has not opened up their network - it is still restricted.

Any phone released with just aGPS (Pearl Flip) will still have the same restrictions as older phones.

Verizon uses PDE authorization to access tower GPS information. So, any app that wants to use aGPS has to send its authorization code to VZW to gain access. VZW Navigator and BBMaps are written to do so. Ohter apps that can't authorize are locked oiut.
    08-03-09 08:33 AM
    Charges for VZ Nav??
    08-15-09 02:55 AM
    I just ran across this thread. I tried to install BBMaps and I get the error "Sorry, your device does not meet the sys req that are needed to support BBMaps." I am running a 8330 Curve 4.5.0.77 on VZN. Product requirements say it would be able to run on 4.2 or later.
    Am I missing something or has VZN locked this app out.

Thanks,

FB
    08-20-09 09:47 AM
    You'll want to try 4.5.0.131 or greater. The 4.5 change for 8330s came in around that time.
    08-20-09 05:33 PM
    You'll want to try 4.5.0.131 or greater. The 4.5 change for 8330s came in around that time.
    Thanks,
    I have updated to .138 and I still get the same message.

FB
    08-21-09 01:29 AM
    That's really odd. Are you trying to install OTA or through DM?
    08-21-09 09:32 AM
    That's really odd. Are you trying to install OTA or through DM?
    Directly from my BB.

FB
    08-21-09 01:28 PM
    You have to install BBMaps using Desktop Manager. The OTA version is only for obsolete OS versions. That's the reason you are getting the incompatibility message.

08-22-09 10:49 PM
    You have to install BBMaps using Desktop Manager. The OTA version is only for obsolete OS versions. That's the reason you are getting the incompatibility message.

Thanks for the help guys, but I tried that also. When I go to (I guess I can't post links yet) but follow this tree...Home > Smartphones > Smartphone Features > Instant Information > GPS
    and hit Download BB Maps, I get this....

BlackBerry Maps

Downloads via a USB connection are not enabled for this product. Please visit our mobile download site at using the browser on your BlackBey� smartphphone.
    I could be wrong, but I think VZN must be blocking the OTA install, so I have to buy their service.
    Either that , or I am doing something real dumb and I can't figure it out.
    Thanks,

FB
    08-23-09 10:30 AM
    I'm sorry, but you missed my point. You have to install BBMaps from your PC using Desktop Manager. Verizon is not blocking the OTA install, it just doesn't work for current OS versions. Current OS versions install BBMaps as part of the OS. BBMaps is free; you don't have to buy anything to use it, except for a data plan.
    08-23-09 10:35 AM
    OK, I guess I don't know how to do that w/ DM. I thought you had to be able to download the file to your PC and then use DM to install the program locally.

When I go to the BB maps page and try to download the file, it tells me this program can't be installed via usb connections and to go to the mobile download page.

Since I can't download the install file(BB Maps) from BB.com, how do I do use DM to install the program?

If you have some other link to download the file LMK.

I am using DM 4.5. Do I need to update to another version??

Thanks for the help Jeff. Now I know how my Step Mom feels, when I try to help her w/ her PC via the phone.

FB
    08-23-09 12:39 PM
    OK, I guess I don't know how to do that w/ DM. I thought you had to be able to download the file to your PC and then use DM to install the program locally.

When I go to the BB maps page and try to download the file, it tells me this program can't be installed via usb connections and to go to the mobile download page.

Since I can't download the install file(BB Maps) from BB.com, how do I do use DM to install the program?

If you have some other link to download the file LMK.

I am using DM 4.5. Do I need to update to another version??

Thanks for the help Jeff. Now I know how my Step Mom feels, when I try to help her w/ her PC via the phone.

FB
    Ok, now I understand your confusion. Don't go to the BBMaps Web page. When you do, you see the message (that you saw) that tells you to download from the mobile apps site using your BlackBerry browser. If you go there, you'll see that the first line below the Download button reads "BlackBerry Maps is only available on devices running device software v4.1 or v4.2.x." That's what I was referring to when I said the OTA download is only for obsolete OS versions. It is absurd that RIM leaves that page up, and doesn't label it more clearly.

What you have to do is download your BlackBerry OS to your PC. You can get it from here: Verizon BlackBerry Software Updates. Download the exe file to your PC desktop. Double-click the exe file. That will install your BlackBerry OS as an application on your PC. Then run the Desktop Manager App Loader. BBMaps will show up as an application that can be installed. Check the box and let the App Loader install it. You'll be good to go.
    08-23-09 01:38 PM
    Hey,
    Thanks Jeff. I guess I figured it was compatible w/ 4.1 and above, not specific to those two versions. Know what happens when you ASSuME.

I was a bit worried when I finished the install my Browser icon was missing. When I tried to open a link in an email, it said I had no browser and to see my carrier. After a shut down, a battery pull and reboot, it reappeared. I did have to reinstall Slacker and Mini Opera and lost a couple of days of email, but all works well now.

Thanks again,

FB
    08-23-09 06:26 PM
    Hey,
    Thanks Jeff. I guess I figured it was compatible w/ 4.1 and above, not specific to those two versions. Know what happens when you ASSuME.

I was a bit worried when I finished the install my Browser icon was missing. When I tried to open a link in an email, it said I had no browser and to see my carrier. After a shut down, a battery pull and reboot, it reappeared. I did have to reinstall Slacker and Mini Opera and lost a couple of days of email, but all works well now.

Thanks again,

FB
    You should not have lost any email; I can't explain that. The solution to the missing browser is to re-register your HRT. Options / Advanced Options / Host Routing Table / Register Now.

Glad everything is working for you now.

08-23-09 06:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD