04-19-12 06:29 PM
    As I've stated in other threads, windows phone is RIM's true competitor right now. They need to forget about iPhone and android and concentrate on beating windows, then they can worry about android and iOS.
    04-19-12 06:53 PM
    No, I don't think Verizon's giving up on BlackBerry.

The thing is, Microsoft has clearly laid out what it plans to do in the future with Windows 8 and I think we can all agree it looks promising. Android is continuing development with incredibly powerful phones and Android 5.0 coming soon. iOS is...well...iOS.

RIM has not given Verizon enough for them to have confidence on. Both Microsoft and RIM are relatively low on the US marketshare pie, but Microsoft has shown its plans to change that. As of right now, RIM has not shown anything tangible (that we know of). Even RIM is being ultra-secretive and ambiguous about the BB10 project.

Having said that, I'm sure Verizon techs have seen prototype BB10 devices and have liked what they've seen, but are most probably not allowed to say anything about them. AT&T has been kinder to BlackBerry (relatively), so if they jump on board the BB10 train, Verizon would follow suit soon.

BB10 (hopefully) will change Verizon's tune.
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 04-19-12 at 08:46 PM.
    robluck82 likes this.
    04-19-12 07:29 PM
    BlackBerry is a secure phone like no other. They are the only option for many in government and other fields. I think it would be a leap to think the Windows phone can make up for the weaker, yet improving security of the iPhone and the absolute lack of Android seems a stretch.
    Windows phone is asking for another shot at it and it is only fair they get it. BLACKBERRY also needs a second look and the ball is in Microsoft and RIM's court.

I'm one of those guys that will never stop using BlackBerry because the device is the best fit for my priorities. We shall see. However, it is interesting that the carriers are the gate keepers for smartphones in the U.S.
    04-19-12 07:40 PM
    Right now Microsoft is a '3rd option' because they launched their new phone.

BlackBerry with BB10 will be the next 'option' when the phones are launched

Phone companies should be quite happy to have 4 strong players in the market.
    Last edited by anthogag; 04-20-12 at 06:31 AM.
    04-19-12 08:02 PM
    Well it's not like RIM has the presence that they used to. I mean they used to sell like crazy on verizon and now pretty much nobody buys them. Verizon isn't giving up they are just looking for a 3rd solid seller to compliment the iphones and android.
    04-19-12 09:08 PM
    RIM will need to give Verizon (and other carriers) compelling hardware to sell. If the consumers demand it, the carriers will carry and sell it.
    04-19-12 09:25 PM
    Not only Verizon........
    04-19-12 09:33 PM
    So no LTE berries had nothing to do with the decision... Obvious is obviously being ignored. When we have LTE I'm sure they will revise the decision .
    04-19-12 09:39 PM
    So no LTE berries had nothing to do with the decision... Obvious is obviously being ignored. When we have LTE I'm sure they will revise the decision .
    iPhones don't have LTE either. But because they sell so well, Verizon pushes them. If BlackBerry devices sold just as well, I doubt Verizon wouldn't care if they supported LTE or not.
    04-19-12 10:09 PM
    No, I don't think Verizon's giving up on BlackBerry.

The thing is, Microsoft has clearly laid out what it plans to do in the future with Windows 8 and I think we can all agree it looks promising. Android is continuing development with incredibly powerful phones and Android 5.0 coming soon. iOS is...well...iOS.

RIM has not given Verizon enough for them to have confidence on. Both Microsoft and RIM are relatively low on the US marketshare pie, but Microsoft has shown its plans to change that. As of right now, RIM has not shown anything tangible (that we know of). Even RIM is being ultra-secretive and ambiguous about the BB10 project.

Having said that, I'm sure Verizon techs have seen prototype BB10 devices and have liked what they've seen, but are most probably not allowed to say anything about them. AT&T has been kinder to BlackBerry (relatively), so if they jump on board the BB10 train, Verizon would follow suit soon.

BB10 (hopefully) will change Verizon's tune.
    Whoa getting a lil ahead of yourself, there, Android is just starting a roll out of 4, not 5.
    04-19-12 10:17 PM
    Whoa getting a lil ahead of yourself, there, Android is just starting a roll out of 4, not 5.
    With Android, there's no slowing down.

Android 5.0 Jelly Bean – What We Know So Far (Features, Release Date and More) - International Business Times
    04-19-12 10:23 PM
    Ahh, the old speculation game. I stand corrected, I shoulda looked that up before I responded. I suspect, however, that it will be pretty limited this year, though. I've seen speculation that ICS wouldn't hit some devices until Q3.
    04-19-12 10:31 PM
    Ahh, the old speculation game. I stand corrected, I shoulda looked that up before I responded. I suspect, however, that it will be pretty limited this year, though. I've seen speculation that ICS wouldn't hit some devices until Q3.
    Yep, that's one of Android's biggest downsides. You'll have to wait a long time before you see an update for your specific OS build. Even if 5.0 is released sometime this year, 2012 will be the year of ICS in Android.

And, yet, people complain about BlackBerry updates...
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 04-19-12 at 10:57 PM.
    04-19-12 10:55 PM
    There is a thread on this is News and Rumors section... Could we merge these please...
    04-19-12 11:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD