So I know there are other threads about this but I just thought i'd propose an alternate view.

Here is what I think is going on. Verizon has aGPS blocked on the Curve(maybe others but I'm just talking about the Curve right now). Verizon technically can't block GPS since that is built into the chipset in the phone itself and in the BB Maps software. I think this is the case because mainly of the time it takes to get a fix with BB Maps vs. the much quicker time it takes to get a fix when using VZ Navigator.

Therefore I think Verizon even has BB Maps blocked for aGPS but obviously they couldn't block actual GPS because actual GPS doesn't require a cell network.

Also one more thing regarding GPS and aGPS. I know some of you whine a little about "oh man it only has assisted GPS instead of full GPS." I have no idea where you came up with that but assisted GPS is BETTER than full GPS. Here is why: assisted GPS(aGPS) uses cell towers to triangulate your position and relay that to the GPS software as well as the GPS software using the actual GPS chip in the phone to get a satellite fix on your location. Regular GPS or what you all might refer to as the misnomer of "full GPS" uses only satellites to acquire your position.

What you might be confused about is say a TomTom where it seemingly has a more accurate fix on you no matter where you are. It isn't that it has a more accurate fix, it is that the map data of where you are is already saved on a memory card so you can find your position. A cell phone does not have this data saved so you might notice if you are out in the middle of nowhere that you see your dot but you don't see anything indicating your surroundings. This is because the map data can't be downloaded because you only have a GPS signal but not a cell signal. No cell signal, no map downloading, and no aGPS, only regular GPS.

So that being said, next time you read that a phone has aGPS, you should be excited since that is BETTER than regular GPS as far as finding your position and tracking you. It has nothing to do with whether or not you have the map data saved on your phone which is the SD card that you insert into your TomTom.

Feel free to correct me if you think I've made a mistake. Thank you.
    04-02-10 01:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD