So, I've been a big fan of Google Maps even though it could only find my location through cell site triangulation within 1200 meters. I recently upgraded my os to 5.0.0.734 on the Verizon network and enabled "location on" from the options menu. When using Google Maps version 4.0.1, I am now able to find my location within 2 meters. Does anyone know what this is all about? Is it the work of Google or Verizon?
    07-02-10 01:05 PM
    Probably neither. Enabling "location on" does the trick. It had nothing to do with VZW. Most VZW OS5+ devices already had the GPS unlocked already so it was probably your GPS device settings all along.
    07-02-10 01:34 PM
    yeah thats gotta be what it is. ive tried in the past and had no luck. as long as it works now haha. do you happen to know if leaving location on drains the battery?
    07-02-10 01:36 PM
    Location On just provides your GPS information to apps that use it. Location On doesn't transmit anything. If you are using an app that transmits your location (I don't know of any that do, but that doesn't mean there aren't any), then that app accessing the network would use power.
    07-02-10 02:22 PM
    Google Maps has the "Google Latitudes" feature, which does send your location to your buddies. Battery hog. Also, foursquare will keep getting GPS updates so it can let you know if a buddy is near. Hog! If you use those, make sure you exit instead of close when you're done.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-10 02:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD