I am new to blackberrys and have tried to solve this on my own, but am not having much luck. I need some help
    I have a 8330 Curve from Vz with data plan. BB Maps was preinstalled and I have added Google Maps. Both work, but no GPS since I refuse to pay Vz's monthly ransom to unlock the BB provided internal GPS
    I have a Holux GPSlim 236 Bluetooth GPS receiver that I used with MapQuest and my Palm TX. So I fired it up and paired it with my BB. I adjusted the device properties to be trusted without prompting. Then I went to Options / GPS and selected the Holux GPS as my default GPS source.
    Google maps and BB Maps are still indicating 1700 - 5000 meter accuracy and I cannot find a way to select the external GPS as a source. I get the flashing bluetooth indicator on my BB when pairing, but not at any other time. I also installed GPSed, but cannot get a GPS connection with it either. LEDs on GPS indicate satellite lock. What am I missing?
    07-13-08 08:36 AM
    ...I have a Holux GPSlim 236 Bluetooth GPS receiver that I used with MapQuest and my Palm TX. So I fired it up and paired it with my BB. I adjusted the device properties to be trusted without prompting. Then I went to Options / GPS and selected the Holux GPS as my default GPS source.
    Google maps and BB Maps are still indicating 1700 - 5000 meter accuracy and I cannot find a way to select the external GPS as a source. I get the flashing bluetooth indicator on my BB when pairing, but not at any other time. I also installed GPSed, but cannot get a GPS connection with it either. LEDs on GPS indicate satellite lock. What am I missing?
    You also have to tell BBMaps that you're using an external GPS. BBMaps/Menu/Options/GPS Settings. Select your external device.

Google Maps can't start an external GPS. You have to run BBMaps, get a lock on the constellation, then exit BBMaps without closing it, leaving it running in the background, then start Google Maps.

I don't have GPSed installed at the moment, but I have used it. I think you also have to tell it you are using an external GPS.
    07-13-08 08:50 AM
    You might also want to check your bluetooth settings again. Find your gps, press Menu and Press Device Properties and Refresh Service List - that sometimes works

Also, under Settings/Option (the wrench icon), under Advanced, there is also a gps setting. Get there and press MENU and make sure your puck is selected.

I use gpsed and it works with my freedom puck. Again, I have to sometimes tweak things - I don't know of the Bluetooth or the interaction gets out of sync.
    07-13-08 12:29 PM
    You also have to tell BBMaps that you're using an external GPS. BBMaps/Menu/Options/GPS Settings. Select your external device.

Google Maps can't start an external GPS. You have to run BBMaps, get a lock on the constellation, then exit BBMaps without closing it, leaving it running in the background, then start Google Maps.
    Thanks Jeff and F2, you guys are both the man. I rechecked my bluetooth/gps settings and this time got a GPS option in BBMaps that I had not seen before. Following Jeff's tip, I left BBMaps running in the background and everything works. Thanks for the quick replies, now Google reports location within 3 meters. I think that is probably as good as it gets.
    Thanks, Lee
    Last edited by leeosenton; 07-13-08 at 03:49 PM.
    07-13-08 03:45 PM
    Yes. 3-m is as good as it gets. Glad I could help. And welcome to the forums!

BTW, I always recommend the Freedom Keychain 2000, because that's what I have. Any time you see me or anybody recommend a particular model, please feel free to post with your model and results. That way everybody sees a broader sample of devices. There are probably more of us with Freedom Keychain 2000's than anything else, so it's good to add a broader perspective.
    07-13-08 03:51 PM

Hmmm... Google Maps finds my keychain GPS just fine on my VZW 8330 without starting anything else up first. Maybe I am using a later version of GM (2.1.0)?

Under the Options - Advanced GPS settings do you have GPS Services set to Location On?
    07-24-08 10:16 AM
    ^^Is this working for anyone else? Does Google Maps automatically find bluetooth GPS pucks, or do you have to run BB Maps in the background?
    07-24-08 11:04 AM
    Hmmm... Google Maps finds my keychain GPS just fine on my VZW 8330 without starting anything else up first. Maybe I am using a later version of GM (2.1.0)?

Under the Options - Advanced GPS settings do you have GPS Services set to Location On?
    ^^Is this working for anyone else? Does Google Maps automatically find bluetooth GPS pucks, or do you have to run BB Maps in the background?
    Truly amazing! I have had GPS Services set to "911 Only." I know I tested it with Location On, but not recently, so I just checked it again, and you are right. It works. I am amazed that my misstatement stood uncorrected for months! In fact, I'm not the only one to say it, so apparently we were all confused in the same way.

Thank you for posting. Any day I learn something is a good day, and any day I learn something that stops me from believing something that is false is a great day!

It is interesting that only Google Maps requires Location On to work properly. Nav4All, BBMaps, GPSed, and CoPilot Live all worked flawlessly with the "911 Only" setting. That's probably one reason why we didn't discover the problem earlier.
    07-24-08 11:21 AM
    Sometimes it seems to take maybe 30 - 60 seconds for it to connect.

Check out this discovery

Don't feel bad Jeff - I have a habit of doing things like that.

A couple of years ago I discovered an error in the information from Porsche in the chassis number tables as to which factory the 69 model year cars were produced at. It had gone undetected and regurgitated by "experts" for over 35 years.
    07-24-08 04:13 PM
    Truly amazing! I have had GPS Services set to "911 Only." I know I tested it with Location On, but not recently, so I just checked it again, and you are right. It works. I am amazed that my misstatement stood uncorrected for months! In fact, I'm not the only one to say it, so apparently we were all confused in the same way.

Thank you for posting. Any day I learn something is a good day, and any day I learn something that stops me from believing something that is false is a great day!

It is interesting that only Google Maps requires Location On to work properly. Nav4All, BBMaps, GPSed, and CoPilot Live all worked flawlessly with the "911 Only" setting. That's probably one reason why we didn't discover the problem earlier.
    I did further testing this evening, and things are not quite as rosey as I thought earlier today. I'm not arguing with CZ10, it will work, I saw it myself earlier, but it won't stay locked for any significant period of time, unless BBMaps is run first. That's my result with my 8830 and my Freedom Keychain 2000.

This result needs to be tested by more people with different blackberries so we can decide if my behavior is more typical or if CZ10's is. Starting now, I'm going to ask anybody who posts a question about Google or the Freedom Keychain 2000 to try it with Location Based Services turned ON, to see if it works for longer than just a few minutes.
    07-24-08 07:37 PM
    I did further testing this evening, and things are not quite as rosey as I thought earlier today. I'm not arguing with CZ10, it will work, I saw it myself earlier, but it won't stay locked for any significant period of time, unless BBMaps is run first. That's my result with my 8830 and my Freedom Keychain 2000.

This result needs to be tested by more people with different blackberries so we can decide if my behavior is more typical or if CZ10's is. Starting now, I'm going to ask anybody who posts a question about Google or the Freedom Keychain 2000 to try it with Location Based Services turned ON, to see if it works for longer than just a few minutes.
    I definitely need to know the end result of this testing. I want to get the Freedom Keychain 2000 for my Verizon Curve 8330 and don't want to have to run BB Maps in the background just so Google Maps can get a lock For the record, my OS version is: 4.3.0.127 (Platform 3.1.0.72) CDMA.

Thanks for keeping us posted JeffH
    07-24-08 09:51 PM
    Well - seems to work for me. I turned on the GPS and started Google Maps and it immediately linked - blue lights flashing on both GPS & BB. Turned the GPS off - GM went to the cell tower location - and then back on - linked and back to GPS location. Turned it off and then back on - no link. Exited GM and then started again - linked - and then after a short time blue light on BB stopped flashing but location stayed at GPS (could have been week GPS signal as I am inside the house). Exited and shut off BB and GPS. Turned GPS and BB on - started GM - linked and has been linked for a good 15 minutes or more. I will try it some more on my way to work and around town - but it seems to work for me.
    07-25-08 10:58 AM
    Well - seems to work for me. I turned on the GPS and started Google Maps and it immediately linked - blue lights flashing on both GPS & BB. Turned the GPS off - GM went to the cell tower location - and then back on - linked and back to GPS location. Turned it off and then back on - no link. Exited GM and then started again - linked - and then after a short time blue light on BB stopped flashing but location stayed at GPS (could have been week GPS signal as I am inside the house). Exited and shut off BB and GPS. Turned GPS and BB on - started GM - linked and has been linked for a good 15 minutes or more. I will try it some more on my way to work and around town - but it seems to work for me.
    Google has an insidious trick of dropping the connection, but keeping the blue dot and motion arrow. The map just stops moving. So if you're motionless, you have no way of knowing the connection dropped, except for noticing the bluetooth indicator has stopped blinking. Even driving, you may not notice it until you make a turn. See if that's what's happening to you.
    07-25-08 11:24 AM
    Worked just fine tracing me on the map all the way (12 miles) to work. I wish they would do turn-by-turn that would follow the GPS like it seems EVERY other GPS program does. I wonder what suit has his head up his --- to think they shouldn't do that.

I like GM because of the traffic. I like VZ Navigator because of the voice turn by turn. Their versions for smart phones has traffic - but not the version for BB. Doh!!!
    07-25-08 12:59 PM
    Worked just fine tracing me on the map all the way (12 miles) to work. I wish they would do turn-by-turn that would follow the GPS like it seems EVERY other GPS program does...
    I assume by turn-by-turn you mean rotate the maps so you have direction of travel UP. That's their biggest weakness, aside from not holding the GPS. Mine won't last anywhere near 12 miles without dropping...I wonder what the difference is? I have Version 2.2.0, but the two previous versions had the same problem. And it's not just me, you are in the minority. You've got something set differently than most of us. If we could just figure that out, we could either fix ours, or break yours.
    07-25-08 01:10 PM
    Well - I have GM v 2.1.0 and BB 4.3

No - what you are talking about is course up display - turn by turn is route instructions like Nav4All or VZW Navigator. With GM I have to press a key to advance to the next instruction. With Nav4All or VZW - it goes to the next instruction as I drive the route. I Like Nav4All except the audio doesn't work on an 8330 (not loud enough AND cuts off words) and I Like VZW - the audio is loud enough for in my Diesel van and it warns you if you have to be in the left or right lane and tells you to prepare for a turn .3 - .5 miles ahead (I think it varies with speed). Nav4All tells you with a graphic display and I recently used it on a 600 MI round trip and it worked like a charm.

But neither have traffic info. VZW sort of has course up - it doesn't rotate the map until you move off the current map - not when you turn - BOGUS!!! I would rather have it stay at North UP!!! I also like M Gmaps - but I have installed it like 3 or 4 times - it keeps disappearing (apparently not unusual). It DOES have true course up - but alas - no traffic (as far as I can recall - I gave up).
    Last edited by cz10; 07-25-08 at 03:39 PM.
    07-25-08 03:36 PM
    Well - I have GM v 2.1.0 and BB 4.3

No - what you are talking about is course up display - turn by turn is route instructions like Nav4All or VZW Navigator. With GM I have to press a key to advance to the next instruction. With Nav4All or VZW - it goes to the next instruction as I drive the route. I Like Nav4All except the audio doesn't work on an 8330 (not loud enough AND cuts off words) and I Like VZW - the audio is loud enough for in my Diesel van and it warns you if you have to be in the left or right lane and tells you to prepare for a turn .3 - .5 miles ahead (I think it varies with speed). Nav4All tells you with a graphic display and I recently used it on a 600 MI round trip and it worked like a charm.

But neither have traffic info. VZW sort of has course up - it doesn't rotate the map until you move off the current map - not when you turn - BOGUS!!! I would rather have it stay at North UP!!! I also like M Gmaps - but I have installed it like 3 or 4 times - it keeps disappearing (apparently not unusual). It DOES have true course up - but alas - no traffic (as far as I can recall - I gave up).
    I have GMM 2.2.0, but I had the same problem with 2.1.0. Maybe OS 4.3 changes something in the bluetooth implementation that enables it to stay connected. That's at least a plausible explanation, and it gives hope to those of us who will eventually be on OS 4.5. No beta OS 4.5 for me.

BBMaps has rotating maps and gives you the choice of Course Up or North Up. I really like that, but Google's maps are much nicer to look at. For turn-by-turn directions, I really liked CoPilot Live, but it was too human...if you ignored its route advice, it would give up and give you the silent treatment for the rest of the trip!
    07-25-08 03:46 PM
    CoPilot live seems to have disappeared from the ALK site. Has the item been discontinued?
    07-25-08 05:16 PM
    I really liked CoPilot Live, but it was too human...if you ignored its route advice, it would give up and give you the silent treatment for the rest of the trip!
    Yes - I need something that will re-route me without a fuss... "Nagging Nancy" in my wife's Acura works great that way and it seems that Nav4All did too....

The traffic coverage here in Northern California is a LOT more extensive on Google Maps then it is in the Acura with XM traffic - and a more current too. GM gives me everything from SF out to Sacramento and down to nearly Merced - so about a continuous 100 mile radius from SFO - where XM is about 1/2 that.
    07-25-08 05:41 PM
    I have the Freedom GPS 2000. Cool little item. I can not get BBMaps to use the receiver and nothing under menu indicates a way to change GPS device. Just not showing. I've linked the 2000 to the 8330 and yet still nothing. I did the reset thing on the 2000 and still nothing!

Also, I loaded Google Maps and every time I try to use it I get a message saying: before I use it I have to allow it to connect to the network. But then it goes away and I can not change settings.

Any ideas??
    07-30-08 08:25 AM
    I have the Freedom GPS 2000. Cool little item. I can not get BBMaps to use the receiver and nothing under menu indicates a way to change GPS device. Just not showing. I've linked the 2000 to the 8330 and yet still nothing. I did the reset thing on the 2000 and still nothing!

Also, I loaded Google Maps and every time I try to use it I get a message saying: before I use it I have to allow it to connect to the network. But then it goes away and I can not change settings.

Any ideas??
    Options/Advanced Options/GPS/
    GPS Data Source: Keychain GPS 2000
    GPS Services: 911 Only

Manage Connections/Bluetooth Options/Keychain GPS 2000/Menu/Device Properties/Menu/Refresh Service List
    You will get a message "Waiting for Keychain GPS 2000." If that message just goes away, you're paired and talking. If it's briefly replaced by "Unable to Connect to Keychain GPS 2000" then you're not paired, the GPS is turned off, something.

Assuming this works,
    Start BBMaps, Menu/Options/GPS Settings
    GPS Source: Keychain GPS 2000.

Try this and let me know what happens. Got to run now.
    07-30-08 08:43 AM
    I have the Freedom 2000. Got it linked to the 8330 via bluetooth. I pull up BBMaps but under menu there is NOTHING to allow me to change the device. Any ideas?? I did the rest thing (see a post below) on the 2000 device under bluetooth settings.

Also, with Google Maps...I downloaded it but every time I try to use it it says I have to allow it to connect to the network to be used but then it goes away and I can not make any changes to it! Any ideas?
    07-30-08 08:46 AM
    Options/Advanced Options/GPS/
    GPS Data Source: Keychain GPS 2000
    GPS Services: 911 Only

Manage Connections/Bluetooth Options/Keychain GPS 2000/Menu/Device Properties/Menu/Refresh Service List
    You will get a message "Waiting for Keychain GPS 2000." If that message just goes away, you're paired and talking. If it's briefly replaced by "Unable to Connect to Keychain GPS 2000" then you're not paired, the GPS is turned off, something.

Assuming this works,
    Start BBMaps, Menu/Options/GPS Settings
    GPS Source: Keychain GPS 2000.

Try this and let me know what happens. Got to run now.
    What happens if you select the other option for GPS Services (Location On)? Will it still work?

Thanks.
    07-30-08 09:16 AM
    I have the Freedom 2000. Got it linked to the 8330 via bluetooth. I pull up BBMaps but under menu there is NOTHING to allow me to change the device. Any ideas?? I did the rest thing (see a post below) on the 2000 device under bluetooth settings.

Also, with Google Maps...I downloaded it but every time I try to use it it says I have to allow it to connect to the network to be used but then it goes away and I can not make any changes to it! Any ideas?
    BBMaps: What do you have under BBMaps/Options? What items?

Google: It sounds like it's failing to see the network. Go to Options/Advanced Options/Applications/Google Maps/Menu/Edit Permissions/Set all to Allow.

Let me know about your BBMaps settings.
    07-30-08 09:17 AM
    What happens if you select the other option for GPS Services (Location On)? Will it still work?

Thanks.
    Yes, it will work. "Location On" or "911 Only" doesn't appear to make any difference with an external GPS. At least, not with the Freedom Keychain 2000. Since I can't use my internal GPS, I can't be sure, but I think if you are using the internal GPS, "Location On" makes its info available to the apps.
    07-30-08 09:20 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD