This isn't entirely BlackBerry specific and applies to one state but it's interesting nonetheless.

Using Your Blackberry In Illinois Could Send You To Prison

Moore is scheduled to go on trial early next month for recording Internal Affairs investigators when she filed a sexual harassment complaint. Moore claims the investigators tried to get her to drop her complaint, so she took out her Blackberry and started a recording which resulted in her arrest. Drew goes on trial in April for recording his conversation with Chicago police officers, without their permission, when he was arrested for selling art without a permit. It�s just a misdemeanor to sell art with no permit, but the voice recorder is causing much bigger problems.

Both are being charged under the rarely enforced The Illinois Eavesdropping Act, which makes it illegal to audio-record either private or public conversations without the consent of all parties. Illinois is one of 12 states with �two-party consent� eavesdropping laws on the books.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 01-23-11 at 11:47 AM.
    01-23-11 11:42 AM
    That's absurd imho.
    01-24-11 11:04 PM
    Some states require only one party to a conversation having knowledge it is being recorded (ie I could record a conversation with you even if I don't tell you), and some states require all parties to be informed.

This just goes to show that you need to be aware of your local laws and regulations.

I agree, the law seems ridiculous. Even the title: how can it be eavesdropping if you are a party to the conversation anyway? People should always present themselves as if they're "on the record".
    01-24-11 11:56 PM
    This has happened in Massachusetts, too. Yea, it's true. Pigs don't like it when they're recorded (audio or video) while they're busy breaking laws. So don't be surprised if they charge YOU with breaking wiretapping laws for recording them breaking other laws.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-11 12:21 AM
    Couldn't you make it record and keep it in your pocket before entering that area and leave once the recording is complete, or have a camera man in a window record it from a distance? In canada, we don't have those absurd laws.

01-25-11 03:44 AM
    So she's going on trial because she wanted to prove the people were trying to pervert the course of justice? In the UK, the judge would understand why she did it and would side with her. This is a load of bologne... hope she gets let free, and the people trying to make her drop the case get their come-uppence... Always defending the evil ones rather then the law abiding citizens.
    01-25-11 03:50 AM
    Some states require only one party to a conversation having knowledge it is being recorded (ie I could record a conversation with you even if I don't tell you), and some states require all parties to be informed.

This just goes to show that you need to be aware of your local laws and regulations.

I agree, the law seems ridiculous. Even the title: how can it be eavesdropping if you are a party to the conversation anyway? People should always present themselves as if they're "on the record".
    Afaik in alabama the law just says you have to inform the parties that you have the ability to record the conversation. I've always felt this was a stupid rule when your face to face. I understand hideing a device in a room or recording a phone call.

01-25-11 06:29 AM
    Couldn't you make it record and keep it in your pocket before entering that area and leave once the recording is complete, or have a camera man in a window record it from a distance? In canada, we don't have those absurd laws.

That's just it. You could do that, but in some places it's a violation of the law. It's when you try to USE that recording by bringing it to someone's attention that they charge you with the violation. My home state of Rhode Island is a "one party consent" state; I can even legally record phone calls and not tell the person I'm talking with.

As for Canada not having stupid laws, I'm not so sure. Does Canada have freedom of speech? I mean, isn't Canada like European countries where "hate speech," however reprehensible, is against the law?

01-25-11 06:48 AM
    Does Canada have the right to bare arms? Is it legal any where in Canada to use deadly force for self defence?

01-25-11 08:09 AM
    Does Canada have the right to bare arms?
    Yes. In Canada you can go sleeveless. Now if you meant the right to "bear" arms I have no clue
    01-25-11 09:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD