So I recently switched back to my Droid Incredible. I was expecting to use my Bold 9650 with just WiFi and be able to use email, browser, and apps that require a connection (facebook, twitter, etc.)
    But for some reason I cannot do anything that requires a connection now on the Bold.

WiFi is connected and I've checked it several times. It was a great connection (-48dbs and 54mbps) and definitely appears everything is a go WiFi wise on the Bold, but it won't connect to internet or anything. I've also tried disconnecting and reconnecting WiFi on the Bold and no change there.

The reason I'm confused by this is because, not only do I think this should work, but I also I could swear that I did this same setup when I first got the Bold and was still using the Incredible at the time and it worked perfect. Unless I was dreaming I don't understand why its not working now and it was before.

Is this supposed to work and am I just missing something obvious?

Thanks for any help

P.S. I know its not the router as my Incredible, Laptop, etc. are all connected to same access point and work fine.
    07-05-10 10:14 PM
    Although the Incredible data plan is the same price as the BlackBerry data plan, you need a BlackBerry specific data plan (BIS) in order to use the BlackBerry native apps that go through RIM's servers. Another smartphone data plan will not work on a BlackBerry.
    07-06-10 12:23 AM
    Although the Incredible data plan is the same price as the BlackBerry data plan, you need a BlackBerry specific data plan (BIS) in order to use the BlackBerry native apps that go through RIM's servers. Another smartphone data plan will not work on a BlackBerry.
    I'm just trying to use WiFi, not a data plan to connect to browser and email and etc.

When I first got the bold I did this before I activated it and it worked perfect.
    Since then, I activated Bold with VZW, used it, then activated Droid again. Now Bold can't connect to internet or e-mail.

Also last night I did try to open blackberry app world and it worked fine and even downloaded an app. So the WiFi is working on the Bold.
    07-06-10 12:57 PM
    So I'm still trying to figure out if its possible to use WiFi only to use the browser, email, and apps.

I have found that there are certain apps that work, I used pandora last night. But I can no longer use email or browser.

I wiped the phone yesterday, because it seemed to work best when I first got the phone, and now I can connect to wifi, but it won't turn on. The wifi emblem is not lit up like it used to be.

Basically I just want to know if this is something that can be done so I know wether I want to keep this phone our not.

I know I used wifi only before on this phone, but I don't remember how and if it was just a fluke or not.

Thanks for any input anyone may have on this.
    07-07-10 08:17 PM
    So I'm still trying to figure out if its possible to use WiFi only to use the browser, email, and apps.

I have found that there are certain apps that work, I used pandora last night. But I can no longer use email or browser.

I wiped the phone yesterday, because it seemed to work best when I first got the phone, and now I can connect to wifi, but it won't turn on. The wifi emblem is not lit up like it used to be.

Basically I just want to know if this is something that can be done so I know wether I want to keep this phone our not.

I know I used wifi only before on this phone, but I don't remember how and if it was just a fluke or not.

Thanks for any input anyone may have on this.
    I agree with Lak', your carrier has a data only plan configured for your BlackBerry.

That will allow some specifice apps to work, but none that require BIS support.

The solution is simple, call your carrier and change your data plan to a BlackBerry BIS plan.
    07-09-10 01:10 PM
    The OP doesn't want a data plan since he only wants to use his old BB to connect via wifi. I don't know whether you can use the BB to connect to the internet via wifi to surf etc. w.o. some sort of data plan.
    07-17-10 12:34 AM
    The OP doesn't want a data plan since he only wants to use his old BB to connect via wifi. I don't know whether you can use the BB to connect to the internet via wifi to surf etc. w.o. some sort of data plan.
    He will be able to use the browser without BIS. However, he will not be able to get push email or use any of the native IM apps without BIS.

If he wants to check Gmail, he could log in to m.gmail.com through the browser whilst connected to Wi-Fi.
    07-17-10 03:42 PM
    Check the link on my siggy. It's a list of the apps that work with wifi, wifi with dataplan/bis and the ones that don't work. Blackberry Browser should work fine with wifi as long as you select Hotspot Browser.
    07-19-10 03:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD