I have a friend who has the blackberry bold 9000 for at&t and wanted to ask how to use the wifi on it for free. She does not have a data package but read that the wifi can be used for no charge so I am looking for a step by step on how to set it up without being charged any data charges. Thanks.
    03-25-10 02:08 PM
    Its in Manage ConnectionsSet up Wi-Fi. If she has it on AT&T network, they'll place her on the data plan no matter what. Good luck though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-10 02:25 PM
    You can take a look through this thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/bla...se-wifi-29376/
    03-25-10 02:27 PM
    Its in Manage ConnectionsSet up Wi-Fi. If she has it on AT&T network, they'll place her on the data plan no matter what. Good luck though.

depends on how long the friend has had her phone/plan with AT&T. I have a 9000 with AT&T and I DO NOT have a data plan, nor can they add one. I use WiFi all the time.
    03-25-10 03:03 PM
    I know that some can still do strictly WiIFi without a data plan, but I believe I took Umass021's question as if she just got the phone and wanted to use it on AT&T's network. I thought the cut off line were customers who joined AT&T before September of last year. I vented about the whole policy on another forum; I think its ridiculous, but there's not much you can do besides block all data use.

03-25-10 09:56 PM
    that's basically what I did on my phone: blocked all data.. but still can use WiFi.. it works for me.. since i have a work 8310 w/ data! it's all good... now if I could swap the sim card/BIS onto my 9000 then i'd be rock'n!
    03-27-10 12:15 AM
    I really dont understand the point of having a BB without a data plan...The push email is the reason people get bb's and without it while out and about it's pointless. And if att does a sweep of ccounts and realize ur using a bb, they will automatically add a data plan without asking you.
    03-27-10 09:50 AM
    I really dont understand the point of having a BB without a data plan...The push email is the reason people get bb's and without it while out and about it's pointless.
    Well, it could be that the person wants to use the BB as a telephone. And when he/she is home, where there is WIFI is available, then it can be used on the Internet. On the other hand, it is easier and more functional to just turn on one's PC.

I agree, it is more efficient to get a BB email and data plan. There are many other phones that have phone/WIFI that are just as good or better for WIFI.

Another WIFI problem, me and many other users have found, some routers will connect with the phone but not connect with the Internet. And, it is often difficult to connect with public routers that require a web browser 'agree' or 'login-in'.

Her key statement: "She does not have a data package but read that the wifi can be used for no charge."

dbone15: You are correct about the need for BB plans to fully use the phone. Some people just want the 'no charge' prestige of walking around with a Blackberry.

Regarding ATT changes: She may have to go through the trouble every time she wants to go on WIFI of: manage connections > turning off mobile network, turning on data options. Then, return the setting when going off WIFI.
    Last edited by mandony; 03-27-10 at 10:23 AM.
    03-27-10 10:02 AM
    I really dont understand the point of having a BB without a data plan...The push email is the reason people get bb's and without it while out and about it's pointless. And if att does a sweep of ccounts and realize ur using a bb, they will automatically add a data plan without asking you.
    I am reading this tread out of interest as I do some international business and don't always feel like parting with $25 for the 20megs of data. Before last time I went overseas I was very interested to learn if I could simply turn the data off on my phone while I was away and only use WIFI @ the hotel and in the business center.

So there are other applications where only WIFI for the bold is advantageous.

03-27-10 09:02 PM
    Hi, I am new here and found this forum by accident when doing web searches for my issue. I have had a go phone account for nearly 2 years in order to get service in the few dead spots that I encounter with my Verizon phone. Recently my mobile internet needs have increased and I am finding that all of the major carriers are pushing for a 30.00 data plan on any sophisticated phone.

Last week I got a contract Iphone and am very impressed with the iphone and the service. I do not like the mandatory nearly $100.00 commitment I will have if I do not return this phone within the 30 day window of purchase.

Meanwhile, a family member gave me a Blackberry Bold 9000. I immediately inserted the Gophone SIM and it works fine for calls and texting. It even gives me the pop up after a call that informs me of my account balance.

My GoPhone account has a $90 balance that would be ideal to transfer over to this Bold and I am even willing to buy the 19.99 100mb data plan each month. IF I can use this BOLD to check emails and a few key web sites on prepay it would be ideal and I wont be locked into the new AT&T post paid contract.

If this is not realistic, can I at least swap the sim back and forth from the Iphone to the BB depending on which device I feel is most appropriate at the time?

My ideal goal is to cancel the iphone account and downgrade to an Ipod Touch that only uses wifi. Then use the gophone balance to support a few months of 19.99 data packages for places I cant get wifi connection. If the verizon gets service (80% if the time) it is what I talk on. My voice minutes with anything I do with AT&T is limited to only contacts who also have At&t, so a GoPhone is my best bet if I can resolve this one issue.

SO far I can make calls fine but cant do anythign else and get pop ups of a few cents worth of data charges while staring at that orange screen with at&T on it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    03-27-10 11:59 PM

My ideal goal is to cancel the iphone account and downgrade to an Ipod Touch that only uses wifi. Then use the gophone balance to support a few months of 19.99 data packages for places I cant get wifi connection. If the verizon gets service (80% if the time) it is what I talk on. My voice minutes with anything I do with AT&T is limited to only contacts who also have At&t, so a GoPhone is my best bet if I can resolve this one issue.
    I am doing that now. I have wifi at work and at home, and don't really even look at my BB anymore since getting an iPod Touch which does the same thing and can hold more applications than I need. Aside from that, my only disadvantage would be the Google Maps while on a data plan. I seem to use that a lot.
    03-28-10 01:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD